Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Old user from Colorado, USA  (Read 1169 times)

Description:

Offline MuzunguTopic starter

New Old user from Colorado, USA
« on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »
I had an Amiga 500 in 1989, and then got a 1200 in 1993.  I used them for several years, but after the demise of C= and the disappearance of all support from local computer stores, I switched to the PC.  Many others asked why I didn't go to the Mac from the Amiga and my answer was simple and infalible: The PC is too big to fail.  Figuring it for dead, I sold all of my stuff in 1996.

I toyed with coming back after the Escom and Gateway acquisitions, thought about it some more after reading about Amiga, Inc. and the Amiga One, but management of those entities seemed to be as inept as the original company.  Recently, I bought a copy of "On the Edge", and by the time I was finished, I had finally found a justification for getting back in: Build a couple video game cabinets and use Amigas to run the games.  Not exactly a MAME, but the Amiga was always a game machine to begin with, and this was the perfect sort of thing to keep in a recreation room.  I was also surprised by the various cottage industries that rose and fell, each trying to tack a few years, a few months back onto the life of a supposedly dead platform.

So, now I've got the 500 and 1200 back (with another on the way to use primarily as a launch point for adf files and WHDLoad), and I'm back into the fun but infuriating world of trying to make an anachronistic machine play in a modern world.  And I've got to catch up on all the new stuff that was developed for it.