Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where can I get one of the $299 cheap Pegasos boards in the UK?  (Read 2160 times)

Description:

Anyone know how to?

Re: Where can I get one of the $299 cheap Pegasos boards in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 04:23:55 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the 20 $299.00 motherboards are long gone.  Sorry.

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2003, 04:57:46 PM »
Sorry mon, a tad bit late : {
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 04:59:58 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the 20 $299.00 motherboards are long gone. Sorry.

This evaluation board you have Wayne, when it goes back eventually along with all the other reviewers boards, will they be sold cheaply by Genesi?  Does anyone know? BBRV???

Me wants one now! I due to come into a bit of cash shortly but I can't wait for that to happen.  I want a Pegasos ASAP!

Offline greenboy

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 05:03:57 PM »
Email me.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 05:13:02 PM »
Greenboy would be the best to answer in this case.  I have nothing to do with it.  I think that they would probably be used for development, but that's my guess.  I wouldn't think they would send "used" boards out to customers.

As for "my" board, all that has been said was "here is a board for you to evaluate.  Feel free to review it, as well as MorphOS.  We'll be more than happy to help you with setting it up and to answer any questions you might have."  

That to me says that they would eventually want their board back, hence the term "for you to evaluate", and not "as a gift".  Who knows?  I might be wrong.  I'm still gathering parts to assemble it.

Offline ksk

• Show only replies by ksk
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2003, 05:46:12 PM »
I've seen people selling their pegasoses, so the second-hand pegasoses exist already. And the price should not be any higher than $299 (+local tax)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 06:38:35 PM »
I've seen people selling their pegasoses, so the second-hand pegasoses exist already. And the price should not be any higher than $299 (+local tax)

Anyone in the UK want to sel me theirs?

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 11:31:26 PM »
;-) Try posting an ad in Amiga.org's classified section.  Anyone who was already disenchanted with his peggy would probably look there first.

Offline Ivan

• Show only replies by Ivan
    • http://www.mnsi.net/~ivan/index.html
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2003, 11:50:57 PM »
>Anyone know how to?

You can't. They were canceled before they wen't on the market. All that were sold were preorders so they would know how many to make and they went to the truely gullible and to developers. There is only 600 in existance. Half of them have been sent back already for repair to the April chip. (really to exchange the chip because it didnt work)

You could ask Bill Buck a few questions but be prepared to be insulted and have to give your personal info out so he can run a backround check on you. Then insulted on public forums. Been done to a number of people. (i suppose i'm about to be the target of a character assasination now too, watch.)

He promised me a G4 Pegasos and tried to sell me a G3 alpha board. Good luck to you.

Ivan

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2003, 12:51:27 AM »

Ivan wrote:
There is only 600 in existance. Half of them have been sent back already for repair to the April chip. (really to exchange the chip because it didnt work)

Looks like someone else can`t be bothered to read announcements and news posts..
 The original April chips DID work...then they found even more bugs in the Articia chip which meant they needed updating..

BTW, regarding Genesi`s original decision not to make a G4 cpu module...
 AFAIK They said because of a problem with the Articia, G4`s wouldn`t run at full chaff... Then they announce a G4 module for the Peg1 , so what`s changed??
On schedule, and suing

Offline Ivan

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2003, 02:14:34 AM »
>Looks like someone else can`t be bothered to read announcements and news posts..

I read them. Like i said, the salesman told me i could buy a G4, what he slid across the table to me was G3.

>The original April chips DID work...then they found even more bugs in the Articia chip which meant they needed updating..

Yes the first April chips worked but they didnt fix the Pegasos. The systems they already sold needed to be repaired with the April1. That's why i called them alpha boards, not to be insulting but, because they were never fully tested before they shipped and had a number of problems. Then they had to exchange the chips again with the April2 and more people had to ship boards back. And it still needs more fixes, or they would have the G4 motherboards they told us we could buy.

I don't wan't to take sides in a camp or anything but i'll mention it for comparison. There is another Arctica based motherboard out there with G4 cpus and the owners of these boards have all said that the bugs plagueing the Pegasos are not present on thier machine. So maybe an April3 will eventually get things sorted for the Peg. (and i really hope it does)

>BTW, regarding Genesi`s original decision not to make a G4 cpu module...
>AFAIK They said because of a problem with the Articia, G4`s wouldn`t run at full chaff... Then they announce a G4 module for the Peg1 , so what`s changed??

Everythings changed. And top it off with alot of waffling around from Genesi.
I was sold on a G4 not a G3. It's called bait and switch. You go in for a $15,000 Caprice (it's a car) and are sold a $5,000 second hander because of some glitch that just popped up. You still can't buy a G4 Pegasos. That's my point.
Still, Genesi couldn't sell G4 systems in good concience ok, fair enough, they had integration problems with the chipsets they used. While selling them i might add. Other manufacturers have made systems work with Arcticas and VIAs but in the case of the Pegasos there is a fatal flaw. Hence the end of the systems. But they will still sell you G4 CPU cards (eventually) that would be just the same as a G4 system with all it's faults. Something smells VERY funny with that. Especially since i was told right up to the last minute that "oh yes, it will be a G4, don't worry, there are no problems with the Pegasos, it's all fixed now". I was lied to.
- We have G4 systems. Wait, here's April.
- We have more problems with the G4, send the board in again. April2.
- April2 fixed all bugs. We just got more Arcticas, act now, dont delay, hurry, limited supply. (it sounded like an infomercial)
- We don't have G4's. The Pegasos was cancelled.
- We will sell you the G4 seperatly.

Why not just ship the systems with the G4 module installed? If you can sell a G4 module, you can sell a G4 system. Unfortunatly, by the end of this fiasco the system was cancelled and now nobody can buy a G4. In the future there will be a CPU upgrade, but at what cost and will it work?

Yes i'm critical. I even understand that Genesi did thier best and i give credit for that. But, i won't tell mdma that there are no problems. He's going to have to search hard for a Pegasos because a) they arent being made anymore and there is only 600 worldwide b) there may still be unresolved problems and c) there is definate problems with G4's on them.

So, mdma, good luck.

Ivan

Offline greenboy

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2003, 03:23:36 AM »
Ivan, so you are saying BBRV tried to sell you a G3 Pegasos as a G4 Pegasos? As I strolled through the verbiage it seemed either a few pronouns and names were missing...

The rest of it: Wow - is this Candid Camera? ; }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Ivan

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 04:40:02 AM »
>Ivan, so you are saying BBRV tried to sell you a G3 Pegasos as a G4 Pegasos? As I strolled through the verbiage it seemed either a few pronouns and names were missing...

I suggest you reread my posts. You clearly misunderstood them the first time. Genesi (pre Genesi even) did offer a G4 system. That's undeniable. Surf over to ann.lu and you will still see a pic of a motherboard and G4 planted on thier banner. The only hitch is, the G4 Pegasos dosen't exist. Yes, showing a motherboard with G4 printed underneath it is 'selling G4 systems'.

>The rest of it: Wow - is this Candid Camera? ; }

Like i said, watch for the character assasination. I'm suprised the defensive attitude and smart remarks didnt come right after my first post. Well, anyone with an opinion in the Amiga scene today has to be labled and hacked down.

Ivan

Offline greenboy

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2003, 04:53:43 AM »
Actually I skimmed like crazy because I have a few deadlines and such. Any person who got a Pegasos through me at least knew exactly what they were getting for how much - or should have - since I took care to describe it clearly to them.

So, I guess I don't understand how YOU had so much trouble, since I had no problems whatsoever finding out what was available and what the manufactuer said ; }

...I think you've put some composite together from a jumble of info and mis-info so I am reluctant to actually read deeper, knowing that my poor beleagured mind could become similarly confused. Also I must admit that my time could be spent better actually working with people who appreciate it.

Thank you : }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<