Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does Apple have to invent a new connector for every new monitor?  (Read 2383 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Does Apple have to invent a new connector for every new monitor?
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:12:36 AM »
We ordered some more Power Macs today and got a cinema display to go with them.  Imagine my surprise to find that once again the monitor connector has changed.  It's now a mini-displayport....

Amazing, I have to add that adapter to the rest, it means that there are at least six different Apple monitor connectors in use around the department, most of which really aren't compatible with one another or require an adapter I have to send off to someplace overseas to get.

I understand DisplayPort is better than DVI and that some day you'll be able to Daisy chain them, but I'd like to be able to actually use it on something.  It needs to fit snugly into the connector on the Mac Pro, inserting is not enough, you have to push on it, hard.  There are no lights or switches on the 24 inch one.  And the cable is 110 cm long making it difficult to connect to a box on the floor.

Ah, the joys of Apple....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Vlabguy1

• Show only replies by Vlabguy1
Re: Does Apple have to invent a new connector for every new monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:21:07 AM »
hehe..I have quite a few older Macs(beige powerPC)  and five G4 towers one being a dual500..and have noticed the same thing ..
Seems like at some point you needed to buy an "apple" monitor to go with the system.
If Im not mistaken I also remember that the Keyboard and mouse was a separate purchase as well..

Yes the joys of Apple.  

I got my apples for free throughout the years from work.  I also have a ton of apple motherboards, sonnet accelerators, cpu's etc.  ug so much stuff so little time hehe

Enjoy

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
Re: Does Apple have to invent a new connector for every new monitor?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:02 AM »
Yeah... I have a bunch of adaptors... for whatever year I need.. silly huh? Now I need a TV with a VGA connector to play my minimig on my tv!
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!