Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6  (Read 8340 times)

Description:

Offline TrinityTopic starter

• Show only replies by Trinity
AMD system with Amiga Forever 6
« on: June 07, 2004, 08:40:24 PM »
I'm new here , so I hope this is not a naive question and in the right forum

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:43:26 PM »

Trinity wrote:
I'm new here , so I hope this is not a naive question and in the right forum.....

If i purchase a pc with AMD chipset ...and no OS ..can I just purchase a Clanto  Amiga Forever #6 and just run it ... the HD is blank , so how do I format it ...and if  need a OS before I install Amiga Forever#6, what is the most appropiate Linux OS to use??

Yes. Just buy all the machine minus an OS, and put Amiga Forever on it. Should work a treat.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 06:27:40 AM »
@bloodline ............

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 12:14:37 PM »

No, it won't be fun. You can boot from the CD, yes, but everything is write protected, you won't even need a HDD as you cannot write to it anyway.

It is much more fun to use it on Windows as you can combine the good parts of both worlds this way.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 12:24:50 PM »
@Thomas:

Good parts? Windows? That does not compute.

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »
Hi Trinity, the answer to your question depends a bit on how exactly you intend to use the system.  It sounds like you want to boot straight into AmigaOS (emulated), and have storage space available for at least data.  The boot-from-CD option you will probably find less than satisfactory.  Boots more or less straight into AmigaOS, yes, but only gets a network address via DHCP, and no storage for your data without flitting off to the Linux console and doing fdisk and then mkfs.whatever_fs_you_want and then mounting it and then editing .uaerc (if there is one) and then resetting uae and then etc etc.

*edit* Also if you manage to crash UAE, the system will reboot.  I guess it's kinda like a real Amiga that way!

Ideally, unfortunately (at least I'm not a Windows fan) WinUAE is probably the most complete and stable freely available emulator out there.  E-UAE (the best UN*X/Linux choice) is getting there, particularly in CVS, but I've found it to be a bit crashy depending on how you configure it, particularly memory and the JIT.

At any rate, if you really want to use your emulated Amiga, you need some kind of OS installed.  Choice of Linux OS is an argument/flamewar waiting to happen so no comment there.  The boot-from-CD AmigaOS is nice to show off or just to try on various hardware.  I will say that KXlight is Knoppix based, and therefore *cough* Debian *cough* based ;-)

This is all AFAIK.  Maybe someone else knows different :-D

--
Failure
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

Offline Thomas

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 03:58:10 PM »

Trezzer wrote:
@Thomas:

Good parts? Windows? That does not compute.

Well, good in the meaning of "you need it to use a certain service". For example play radio streams using RealPlayer. Most popular radio stations in Germany don't offer mp3 streams, so AmiNetRadio is of no help here. There are more examples. However, I use WinUAE for most of my needings.

Also with WinUAE developing is more fun because in case of a crash the reboot is much faster than on a real machine. It just does not have to reset all the hardware (there is no hardware).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 04:09:54 PM »
Actually, no.

The Knoppix based "live" Amiga Forever 6 install is a very poor one. In my own experience, you'll be lucky if it works on your system. It certainly didn't on my laptop and only partially functioned on my desktop but it was unusable. Knoppix works fine on both, of course, so it's the Claonto build that's broken.

AF6 is still good for the WinUAE user. You may be able to get some use if you are a Mac or Linux user, though there is little in the package to help you. For the "stand alone" version, you'll have to wait for AF7 or AF8. This one sucks.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 09:09:52 PM »
With WinUAE you can replace 'Explorer' as the system shell, and boot straight into UAE, bypassing the frontend menu (after getting it all configured that is!).

Windows XP is the choice for supporting the most WinUAE features - with it set right you wouldn't need to interact with Windows at all, other than seeing a boot screen (which can be replaced ;-)).

Of course you can also patch all heck outta Windows, and end with something like this ;-)
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 10:20:39 PM »
Well, good in the meaning of "you need it to use a certain service". For example play radio streams using RealPlayer. Most popular radio stations in Germany don't offer mp3 streams, so AmiNetRadio is of no help here. There are more examples. However, I use WinUAE for most of my needings.

Well, good for you. Some people prefer to be completely without Windows though. I must admit that I am flabbergasted (and I'm not picking on you in particular here) that so many "intel outside" / other anti-MS people use ... tadaaaa Windows.

It's not like I can do *everything* I need to do on my Amiga. Only about 99%. Unfortunately there is also no laptop Amiga, so therefore I have my trusty powerbook, which happens to do the last 1% (like home banking and realmedia).

Even then I'd install AmigaOS on the laptop in a heartbeat if I could (running natively of course) and just ignore the few things I couldn't do.

I guess I just have a hard time respecting Windows as an educated choice unless you are locked into the platform by profession - and I mean *locked*.

Sorry. I'll stop ranting and go away now.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:03:10 AM »

Everybody has to see what is good for him. For me one niche system is enough. If I have to use another system to complement my possibilities, I'll choose the mainstream system.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 08:56:46 PM »
Sorry, but WindowsXP does offer the most features to support WinUAE.  My having XP is locked by my job so I make the most I can from it, and at the mo I only have space to do everything on my lap anyway (trusty A3000 is currently buried and I'm deskless!).

I'm also working on being in a position to get a Pegasos too (selling a car to do it!), which in due time will replace the work laptop ...
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 02:24:11 AM »
WHOA...

Offline Failure

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Failure
    • http://awhitlock.net/
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 03:48:38 AM »
First: WinUAE is not an OS.  It's like a virtual piece of hardware, and you run AmigaOS on top of it.  It pretends to be a classic Amiga system.

WinUAE runs on (you guessed it!) Windows.

UAE runs on Linux, and most any other UNIX.

E-UAE runs on Linux and most any other UNIX, and contains features ported over from WinUAE, since "old" UAE is basically dead and unmaintained.

The *best* experience, as in the most stable and easy to use solution, is WinUAE hands down.  OpenGL acceleration, a robust JIT, active development, supported out-of-the-box by Amiga Forever, and no compilers in sight.

The Free-est experience is E-UAE on Linux.  But you'll have to do some RTFM to get it to work.  You might even have to compile something, and you will probably want to edit some config files.  That means vi.  Or, if you have a gig of memory, emacs *dodges rocks and beer bottles*

Keep in mind that even booting from the CD, all you are doing is booting Linux and running UAE as the "window manager" in X.  UAE is not an OS.  So none of these solutions has any extra overhead, necessarily.

Good luck :-)

--
Failure
You can\'t spell evil without "vi"
AMIX Wiki | AmixBP

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 06:47:43 AM »
@