Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: UAE, Lakka, Openelec, XBMC, and you!  (Read 1415 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
UAE, Lakka, Openelec, XBMC, and you!
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
So I was on a crusade to do what no man has done before, and that is, write a tutorial for Amithlon in regards as to what to do, once you got your system booted and need drivers and updates in there place to make all work as it should.

Once again I got side tracked, actually I'm waiting on hardware to arrive for this task and I got side tracked. ;)

On the side of the Amithlon project, working on customer's computers, and what have you, I started experimenting with Puppy Linux, Puppy Arcade, Slax, and other distrobutions to see what the most light weight, multi purpose Linux experience could be had on some of the old and newish hardware I've got laying around.

During this investigation I came to realize that while cool and while light weight, they were all out of date or restricted in one way or another. After a while I began to realize that what I really wanted was yes, a computer devoted to a fast Amiga like environment, but also, a computer that thought it was a modern day game console, with heavy backwards compatability.

The latest update to Aminux was recently released, though currently it is HUGE (dual layer DVD huge) and only works correctly on my primary laptop, but I need this laptop for work so I can't afford to sacfrifice it. I was hoping it would work on one of the many other computers in my house, but it only works successfully on them to varrying degrees.

I tried installing the Amiga Forever live CD, but it crashed upon first boot.

I then took a break from them and began into looking for the most ligth weight, stripped down version of Debian Linux I could find, as I am getting fairly handy with Debian as of late.
 I wanted something that could host an Odamex Server, run Retroarch, XBMC, and Steam, and nothing else.

Upon my searches I came across two things, the first is a work in progress called Lakka, which is the most awesome Linux distrobution I have ever seen, with the easiest installation of any OS EVER!

It aims to be a distro that boots straight into a Retroarch, complete with it's own PSP inspired joypad driven menu, that essentually makes it into a full on Libretro arcade. Cave Story, NES, Super NES, Sega CD, PS1, PSP, N64, Saturn, 3DO, and on and on and on.

I picked up one of these used just for the occasion:

Zotac ZBOX ID41 PLUS:  http://zotacusa.com/zbox-id41-plus.html

I believe they intend to merge this with XBMC/Kodi and provide hardware like Thin Client PC's, the Pi2, etc. a means to behave like a game console. Again all I'm saying is they lack they ability to play Steam and Odamex, other than that, they are set in my book and on the right path! You guys should check it out, it's a little buggy, but they are working it out, the concept is there! You forget you are on a PC all together!

On that note, I think a distro like OpenElec, is exactly what a dedicated UAE distrobution needs at it's core. Again, try out Lakka and Openelec, and you will see just what I mean. They are Linux distros with ALL the crap cut out, but maintain a GUI. They can't be beat for what they are! I've love to see an Amiga project formed around this sort of thing, for both Pi and thin client PC.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: UAE, Lakka, Openelec, XBMC, and you!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:43:54 AM »
So why wouldn't Lakka provide the opportunity to deliver Odamex, Steam, and Amiga all on the same platform?  If the are on the right track why start up a new track?

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Lakka's goal is to make a game console based OS based upon Openelec and Retroarch.
I believe they are planning on merging with XBMC to give it that full on XBOX/Playstation OS kind of charm, but other than that, if something is not supported by libretro, then it will not run with Lakka, and to me this makes good sense as you would not want your Gaming OS to act too much like a PC. Though I my self don't think it would hurt to add in Steam support at the very least so as to remain compatible with what Valve has in the works.
On the other hand, it would feel like just another emulator to add Amiga support in (which actually is part of Retroarch), but would feel more propper if there was a something based upon Openelec that booted straight into an Amiga environment like Aminux, but without the 8Gb of bloat.

As for Odamex and all that, I'm just rambling, if I knew how to make my own custom distro, I'd add Odamex and Zandronum support into Openelec in a heart beat. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Methanoid

• Show only replies by Methanoid
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Wasn't X-Amiga supposed to do this (the Amiga on Linux)?