Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trouble installing the settlers  (Read 1929 times)

Description:

Offline sturulezTopic starter

• Show only replies by sturulez
Trouble installing the settlers
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:12 AM »
Im trying to install the settlers by using WHDLOAD. After I've extracted the WHDLOAD file and click on the install button, a message appears saying

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED

Unable to compile script.
ERROR: invalid parameter for statement on line 291.

Anyone got any ideas how I over come this problem and install this game?

Thanks
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline nscaleworld

• Show only replies by nscaleworld
Re: Trouble installing the settlers
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
Well, look at line 291, what does it say?
Amiga 500 (like new in box) , Amiga 2000 (like new in box) , Amiga 2500 (like new in box) , Amiga 3000T (like new) , 2 - Amiga 500 Towers , AmigaOne with OS 4.1

Offline Lord Aga

• Show only replies by Lord Aga
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Isn't there a original hd installer on one of the floppies ?
Glory to the loud-mouthed Scotsman !

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Lord Aga;704395
Isn't there a original hd installer on one of the floppies ?

That's true, there is. But unless he has a cracked version then he'll need the user manual for the copy protection.

Just download it from here ready-to-go for the easiest:
http://www.whdownload.com/games.php?name=s&sort=0&dir=0

http://www.whdownload.com/games/Update-2009-05-28/Settlers_v1.5_0143.zip
;)

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
Cheers guys! Yeh it's just a pain in the bum getting the manual out every time and doing the protection part.
Will give it a go and let you know how I get on! ��
A1200 - ACA 1221EC Accelerator, 32GB CF Card, SCSI CD-ROM, WB3.9, 3.1.4 ROM. PCMCIA 4GB transfer card, Indivision AGA MK2

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »
Sounds like you need a newer version of the installer program.

Look on aminet for a later version of the file that goes in C:\installer
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;704430
That's true, there is. But unless he has a cracked version then he'll need the user manual for the copy protection.

;)

Ive downloaded the zip file but i cant open it in workbench? Ive renamed the file to .lha but that doesnt work.

Ive looked on aminet for the latest version of c:\ installer but im not to sure which one im after or the one im looking for.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;704430

;)

ive downloaded the file and transfered it to my amiga. after ive extracted the file and double click game icon a message appears saying

"CAN'T ALLOCATE ExpMem"

Offline paul1981

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:05:51 PM »
Quote from: sturulez;704663
ive downloaded the file and transfered it to my amiga. after ive extracted the file and double click game icon a message appears saying

"CAN'T ALLOCATE ExpMem"

First thing to try is to disable the PRELOAD option on the settlers icon.

So select the icon, then select Information from the Icon menu. Scroll down the tooltypes list and one of the tooltypes is called "PRELOAD". Change this to "(PRELOAD)" which effectively disables preload option, and so it will not try to load the whole game into ram first.

I'm not convinced that's your problem, but it's the first thing you should try so that we can move things along a bit. Settlers should preload fine anyway is what I mean.

Next you could also try removing any card you have in the PCMCIA slot as this could be causing a problem as well. Again, unlikely if you have 6MB only, but it rules it out (8MEG Ram cards do cause problems with the cardslot).

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
Quote from: paul1981;704678
First thing to try is to disable the PRELOAD option on the settlers icon.

So select the icon, then select Information from the Icon menu. Scroll down the tooltypes list and one of the tooltypes is called "PRELOAD". Change this to "(PRELOAD)" which effectively disables preload option, and so it will not try to load the whole game into ram first.

I'm not convinced that's your problem, but it's the first thing you should try so that we can move things along a bit. Settlers should preload fine anyway is what I mean.

Next you could also try removing any card you have in the PCMCIA slot as this could be causing a problem as well. Again, unlikely if you have 6MB only, but it rules it out (8MEG Ram cards do cause problems with the cardslot).

I've tried both of the points you suggested and the same message still appears.

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:15 PM »
I've still got the original settlers installed, Is there not a file I can delete or edit that can bypass the copy protection partA?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »
Quote from: sturulez;704783
I've tried both of the points you suggested and the same message still appears.

Maybe there's something odd in your "S:WHDLoad.prefs".
Try replacing the file with the original one from the WHDLoad archive, or do a re-install of WHDLoad.

Do you have any problems with other WHDLoad games?
There could also be something in your WBStartup, Startup-Sequence or user-startup which is causing the problem.

How much chip ram and fast ram do you have free before attempting to load The Settlers?

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
How do I find out how much chip ram and fast ram I have?

I've replaced the file with the original in the WHDLOAD folder and that message still appears.

I went into the data folder which is in the settlers folder and was looking through the files and saw a file saying "settlers" so I double clicked on it and the game loaded up. But when it got to the copy protection part it wouldn't let me carry on. Like I needed to enter the correct symbols in order to carry on.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »
Quote from: sturulez;704839

Up at the top bar in Workbench, it'll show "graphics memory" and "other memory". It's in bytes I think so a bit of quick math is needed :)

Graphics memory is Chip RAM, and "other" is fast ram.

For settlers to preload proper, you probably need at least a couple meg's of RAM.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Quote from: sturulez;704839

I've replaced the file with the original in the WHDLOAD folder and that message still appears.

I went into the data folder which is in the settlers folder and was looking through the files and saw a file saying "settlers" so I double clicked on it and the game loaded up. But when it got to the copy protection part it wouldn't let me carry on. Like I needed to enter the correct symbols in order to carry on.

You should be clicking on the "Settlers" icon, you shouldn't be going into the data drawer. What is in there are all the files from the floppy disks (2), and so the crack that enables you to select any symbols to play (implemented by c:WHDLoad along with the file Settlers.slave) will not work.

One question I have, is do you have your MaxTransfer value set correctly for ALL your CF hard drive partitions? This is important for CF cards plugged into the onboard IDE of the 1200 and 600.
You can check this with the HDToolBox program which should be stored in your "SYS:Tools" drawer. It should be set to "0x1FE00". Don't alter anything else and you should be fine. I will not be held responisble for any data loss that may incur from incorrect usage of HDToolBox.
If it wasn't already set correctly, you must transfer the settlers zip archive again to your A1200, and unzip again, replacing your current Settlers drawer (which maybe corrupted due to the MaxTransfer being wrong initially).

P.S. if your MaxTransfer was wrong, re-install WHDLoad as well.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:34:53 PM by paul1981 »