Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Off-topic: The great amiga.org IP ban conspiracy...  (Read 9641 times)

Description:

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
Off-topic: The great amiga.org IP ban conspiracy...
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »
Quote from: JJ;657529
if you mean Wayne I doubt he would do this.

We moved to new servers about a month ago. He does not have access to those. Plus his account here has been wiped of all but his posts.
We mods don't have server access nor access to a block list through vBulletin. Might be the same issue that was causing Franko password issues. I don't know. If some one did hack in. They don't like Franko, pretty short list on that. Also, a good reason to make sure that Apache, MySQL, PHP, and vBulletin are all up to date with current releases. At least no one has tried taking down the site. Assuming that it is a security hole issue.  I just can't see any reason to block a whole ISP's address range.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:39:26 PM by Karlos »

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Sky UK ISP block
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »
Quote from: Argo;657544
If some one did hack in. They don't like Franko, pretty short list on that.

Interesting. You have someone specific in mind?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657630
Interesting. You have someone specific in mind?

Have you been naughty Piru?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Piru

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Quote from: Transition;657621
Problem should be fixed, please test and report back.

Considering all the wild accusations being made, it'd be really interesting to know what caused this blokade.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
Stay on-topic folks.

I shall be moving the off-topic discussion to another thread shortly. Please stand by...

-edit-

Continue here, if you please.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 01:30:37 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Piru

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657633
Considering all the wild accusations being made, it'd be really interesting to know what caused this blokade.
I thought this was quite valid and on topic question and the answer would probably had been interesting for wider audience than just CF.

But oh well. It's quite unlikely we get any kind of response now.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Off-topic: The great amiga.org IP ban conspiracy...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 01:38:01 PM »
I blame it all on the Hal computer.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 01:41:17 PM »

My conspiracy theory hat is now on:

Piru (you are Piru) is responsible for this in an attempt to ban his nemesis Franko. This can be seen in Pirus (you are Piru) attempt at deflecting to avoid suspicion by saying things like the above quote    :idea:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 01:42:50 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;657637
My conspiracy theory hat is now on:

Piru (you are Piru) is responsible for this in an attempt to ban his nemesis Franko. This can be seen in Pirus (you are Piru) attempt at deflecting to avoid suspicion by saying things like the above quote    :idea:

That sounded suspiciously like the guy in your Avatar. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Well, since we're all playing Cluedo, My take:

The class C ban was already in effect for a long time. Certainly there was some mention of it when a certain member (like you can't tell who) was permanently banned some time back.

Some time later, but before the hosting upgrade (I think) a Sky ISP user on aw.net (Amigaone Productions, IIRC) reported being blocked. I wasn't able to sort it out as the built-in IP ban tools are not available to moderators and suggested he use a proxy. I can't find that thread right now, but if I do, I'll post a link.

It seems that nobody really made a big deal out of it since then. I believe the issue kicked off again due to comments made on this thread...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34172&forum=2

... particularly Steve's comment here:
Well, it would have to be AWN for me. I used to visit others (I still go to EAB), but A.O with it's lovely ban on my ISP has rendered my visits to the site impossible

It was my understanding that whatever restrictions had been put in place to keep the aforementioned member banned were overturned in their entirety when he was permitted to return. I'd have to do some IP address checks, but it could just be that he was using a proxy once his ban was lifted and the IP address range ban was never revoked. More likely, it was probably just forgotten about - certainly the admin seemed unaware.

I don't see any evidence to suggest that someone has broken in and added this IP ban recently.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 01:48:21 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657635
I thought this was quite valid and on topic question and the answer would probably had been interesting for wider audience than just CF.

But oh well. It's quite unlikely we get any kind of response now.

That's actually a fair point. I've moved it back to the same forum, but still want to keep the original (now sticky) thread free from trouble.

Sorry for the musical chairs...

As you were.
int p; // A

Offline Piru

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Just a stupid question: amiga.org does have an audit log for all administrative actions?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657642
Just a stupid question: amiga.org does have an audit log for all administrative actions?

More deflecting...

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

If neither the moderators nor Wayne do have the necessary privileges to implement an IP ban, there are only two suspects left: the two six year olds who bought amiga.org to conduct a field experiment on how not to run a community website.

Given their history when it comes to explaining things (like mentioning their names in public), I wouldn't hold my breath for an explanation.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »
Quote from: Piru;657642

Well, the site, like all vB installations, has two administrative tiers. The first is a control panel for moderators, which allows access to various tools pertinent to basic forum moderation. The second is a control panel for administrators only and provides control over the site, 3rd party modules. Any admin/moderator activity logging would be in there.

I don't really get involved with anything beyond basic moderation, except when there are security threats or major software bugs on the site that I've looked into. I retain an FTP account that has access the site's web root for that. Naturally all access through that will be logged by ftpd.

The last time I used it was to check for alterations made to key files that would are the usual target of any code injection attack against the forum software. Prior to that, it was disabling the experimental cache (some time ago now) and before that, that bloody eval() bug.
int p; // A