Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released  (Read 8847 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 Released
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 24, 2011, 12:17:46 AM »
I agree with Xeron, the piecemeal approach would not be good.

However, I see a lot of value in an update app for OS4 that can simply grab the latest update off Hyperion's support site using your credentials on your account there.

But then again, simply logging on and grabbing a small LHA file isn't a hell of a lot of work, and it's not like there's a patch every 5 days or anything.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
@gizmo350
how do you load your 68K software from your old floppys onto your OS4 machine... or do you download (or create) ADFs?

That's the million dollar question.  My OS4 system does not have a floppy disk drive.  Back when I first built my OS4 system, I purchased Amiga Explorer to copy some programs from my old A2000HD hard drive to a pc where I burned them to a CD-RW disc.  Then I copied the files from the CD to my OS4 hard drive.  That is how I installed Final Writer 97 on my OS4 system (copied the entire FinalWriter drawer from my old system to CD and then to my new system).  Since that time, I have downloaded some programs, such as TVPaint, Real3D and Imagine 3.0 which unarchive into ADF files (or floppies).  I used E-UAE to install TVPaint, Real3D and Imagine 3.0 onto my AmigaOS 3.1 Workbench partition which is actaully just a drawer on my one of my OS4 partitions.  Once these programs were installed on the hard drive, I just moved the program drawers to a more convenient location where I could easily use them directly from OS4.

Back in the day, I also used Amiga Explorer to copy the AmigaOS 3.1 Workbench, Install and Extras floppies as ADF files to the CD-RW disc.  Same with my Amiga kickstart ROM.  Now these files come standard with the AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4.

E-UAE can mount ADF files as floppy disks.

---
redfox

Offline spirantho

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2011, 09:34:56 AM »
Using a Catweasel is a lot easier for reading Amiga disks/programs. :)
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline olsen

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Quote from: JJ;672574
This might sound like flame bait given my sig etc, but doesnt really seem to be much of update ??

More would have always been better, of course ;)

Fact is, though, that many bug fixes that were made in the past few years did not find their way into the updates until very recently. For example, there was a serious bug in the DHCP handling of the Roadshow TCP/IP stack which was resolved in late 2010, and there were a buch of issues with the shell which were resolved even earlier. This update finally makes these available for everybody.

And the integrated UAE isn't too shabby either ;)

Offline olsen

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
Quote from: Minuous;672612
>I'm not a lawyer, so I was never sure if "AmigaOS 3.1" in lawyer-speak means "version 3.1 of AmigaOS" or "all versions of AmigaOS, up to 3.1". Looks like it might be the latter, unless "official AmigaOS 3.x ROMs" in the announcement refers only to 3.1. Though that would make me wonder why only 3.x ROMs are included.

Hmm, that would seem to imply no V3.9 then, just obsolete V3.1 :-( Did Amiga not have the rights to all versions of their own OS or something!?

Short answer: no.

The 3.5 and 3.9 updates strictly consisted of updated material and contributions by 3rd party developers: Amiga International did not own the end product in any way whatsoever.

Big chunks of 3.5/3.9 came from the publisher Haage & Partner, who chose not to continue further product development after the 3.9 release. This is also part of the reason why there is none of the Haage & Partner developed code in the OS 4 release.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2011, 01:44:09 PM »
Quote from: olsen;672730
Short answer: no.

The 3.5 and 3.9 updates strictly consisted of updated material and contributions by 3rd party developers: Amiga International did not own the end product in any way whatsoever.

Big chunks of 3.5/3.9 came from the publisher Haage & Partner, who chose not to continue further product development after the 3.9 release. This is also part of the reason why there is none of the Haage & Partner developed code in the OS 4 release.

And most of the 3.5/3.5 pieces have been natively reimplemented or re-contributed by their authors for 4.x. So I think 3.1 is an appropriate baseline for a Classic environment for things that don't run properly with the integrated JIT/interpreted emulator.

Offline Rob

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »
Quote from: redfox;672682
@gizmo350

E-UAE can mount ADF files as floppy disks.

Disk Image Device is a much better solution since it allows you to mount ADF and other disk image files directly to Workbench on OS4.  You can use to mount ISO files rather than burn a disk, it should be handy for CD32 emulation.

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=driver/storage/diskimage_device.lha

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;672620

And Microsoft would never dream of charging money for bug-fixes either, hence they wouldn't market the fact that they don't as a feature... ;)

Microsoft never market the fact that their updates are free according to takemehomegrandma.  He doesn't know what he's talking about:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/service-packs

And that's the second Microsoft reference to free updates.

Will takemehomegrandma retract his statement or apologise before I post the next example?  Stay tuned folks.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2011, 03:59:28 AM »
Advertise free updates?  Windows Update is on by default, you want a hand written letter?  My iMac I must check for OS updates, should I be sending Apple a sternly worded letter for not holding my hand and calling me personally when a patch is made available?

He won't, Aj.  He's to MorphOS as Dammy is to C-USA.  Driven away more users to his "Golden Boy" choice than he's ever attracted.

Takemehomegrandma:

I've never paid one thin dime for an update on an in cycle Microsoft product, Takemehomegrandma, and either have you or anyone else.  I haven't paid one thin dime for an AmigaOS 4.1 update either, and outright wouldn't.  5.0 comes and it costs money and is worth it?  Sure.  4.2, 4.4, 4.9 or another incremental if the software keeps updating at such a rapid pace as it is where it's merely fixes and mild additions, rather than a whole new ballgame?  No.  Same reason why no one has ever paid for an in cycle SP (Service Pack) on Windows.

I mean, 95 to 98, 2000 to 2003/XP, XP to Vista/2008, Vista to 7, sure.  Of course I paid money if I wanted the new product.  That's a new version, if you don't want nor need the new version of Windows, no different than not paying up for 3.5/3.9 for Amiga OS from 3.1, or from Snow Leopard to Lion on the Mac side.

Hell, while we're at it - I don't recall Commodore sending me a free set of ROM's and disks when 3.1 came available when I still had my A3000 on 1.3/2.1, early 16 mhz A3000.  I paid for that just like everyone else did.

Everything in cycle in that product range is an incremental update, and should be a free patch.  You want to spin it like the 2.7 to 3.0 update for MorphOS being free is the equivalent of MS mailing everyone that bought Windows 95 a free copy of Win 8, knock yourself out, LOL.

I'll raise a glass to the MOS guys that are busting ass to make good product, but your false statements about anything that doesn't get your stamp of approval is getting redundant.  It's not amusing, it's not pot stirring or gentle ribbing, it's false and dumb, lol.  It detracts from the very kind gesture that the MOS team is offering with the "to 3.0" free update.

eg:  the OS 4.1u3 "mess", something you never even ran yet you still insist went off like a nuclear bomb on the OS4 community, which it did not.

the claim that MS charges for in cycle updates, which there's absolutely no deliberation about.  They don't, and you are wrong.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:29:57 AM by Duce »

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2011, 04:06:21 AM »
Quote from: Tension;672643
just remembered about the notebooks...

yeah, I'm interested to hear more information on these.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
(First - I did not introduce MorphOS to this thread, "Duce" did, and I'm merely replying)

@Duce

Well in the news about this release they beat the big drum of how this update is free, "Hyperion continues its tradition to provide regular free updates of AmigaOS 4.1 and with the festive season just days away, this is a particularly appropriate time for a free update.". It's christmas and all, here is a present, etc.

First, this is an update *they had to* release as soon as possible after the OS4.1.3 release, there was no choice there (and since the question was asked elsewhere – YES, you who had to downgrade to OS4.1.2 *must* re-install OS4.1.3 prior to installing OS4.1.4!), and the idea that they would charge money for a bandage  patch, which this update really is, is ridiculous (nobody does that!), and so is marketing it as some kind of Free Christmas Gift on courtesy of Hyperion in this context. Like in "1984", when the news was "Chocolate production will not decrease from 25 thousand tons" or whatever, they changed it to "Chocolate production will increase to 25 thousand tons" and everyone cheered. Spin-doctors playing with words and version numbers. No, fixing the bugs, and doing it for free, is a damn obligation they have to their paying customers!

People sometimes express the opinion that MorphOS is expensive, and sure, €111 can be a lot of money for a hobby. But you also get *a lot* for it, in the case of MorphOS. I have had MorphOS since v1.0, so I have had v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and I will soon have 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, etc, etc. I have paid the license cost *once* for all this.

OS4.0 did cost money. Then they charged the *full cost* all over again at 4.1, and AFAIK they will charge the users *yet again* as soon as 4.2 gets released. I'm perfectly fine with that, it's their choice. They want money, and if users are prepared to pay, then why not? It's a free world!

What bugs me is when ssolie, the "OS4 development lead" (Mr. OS4 himself) are trying to make it sound like they would be just as generous as the MorphOS team with updates, when they are clearly not, especially when he obviously has a grudge against MorphOS for *even charging money at all* for the license (along with many snide remarks on the MorphOS's teams work and priorities, how the MorphOS team has tricked the users by not delivering what ssolie thinks MorphOS is all about, etc, etc):

Does anybody have a guess as to how many MorphOS licenses have been sold so far? Must be in the hundreds by now, maybe even thousands? I remember Genesi boasting about how many boards they sold or had given away so there must be a very large base of hardware out there and potential MorphOS 2.x users.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6285&forum=3&start=0)
Then the whole issue of money popped up when at least one dev said he wasn't doing it for any money. When I asked where the money was going and got jumped on it made me wonder where those payments were really going. Fab was nice enough to straighten me out in IRC the first time but of course I misunderstood amidst the barrage of insults and joking around. It seems Ralph Schmidt is collecting all the money; still no word on whether he is incorporated or whatever. That is kinda important to know these days especially if there is a dispute or something. There would be nothing stopping Mr. Schmidt from just taking the money and disappearing leaving the rest of the team stranded is there? Oh well, I suppose nobody cares about such matters.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6285&forum=3&start=9)
Looks like about 500 licenses are sold so far at say 150 EUR a pop means Ralph Schmidt has taken in 75,000 EUR which is getting close to $100,000 USD.
(http://www.morphzone.org/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6308&forum=3&start=0)

:rolleyes:

But I digress.

*It is* a good thing that the OS4 users can now enjoy this update that is mostly bugfixes for an OS that really didn't need bugfixes after reaching version 4.1.3, and this totally for free, since charging once and then free is the traditional Hyperion ways, and it's also a Christmas present (not that they were obligated to, of course not)!

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Even the WW1 soldiers on opposite sides of the battlefield managed to have a truce for Christmas.

Now cheer up and make merry, you 'orrible lot!
int p; // A

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;672827
Even the WW1 soldiers on opposite sides of the battlefield managed to have a truce for Christmas.

Now cheer up and make merry, you 'orrible lot!

Yes Sir!

[youtube]o9TGU1QZywc[/youtube]

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline HammerD

« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
@takemehomegrandma

Well OS 4.1 was pretty much a completely new product with new kernel and huge updates.  Much like MorphOS 2.x (which you had to pay for), and subsequent updates to MorphOS 2.x were bugfixes with some new features, free updates of course, as the OS4.1 updates are free.

Quite similar to OS4 to 4.1 in that respect, so I think you are being unfair here.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
Good going.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
@Rob

Thanks for suggesting Disk Image Device.  I will give it a try.

---
redfox