Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games that could be ported to OS3.1  (Read 2907 times)

Description:

Offline MethuselasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Games that could be ported to OS3.1
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
One thing that Amiga has been lacking is new games. With MorphOS and OS4, this hasn't been much of a problem but for "classic" users, they've become few and far between. Thanks to NovaCoder, we've seen an influx of new AGA games, but there are many more that could be ported.

So, I started this thread to list links to source code that could be ported to the Amiga by a stalwart coder that wished to do so. Perhaps we could start a bounty to get some of these ported, if need be.

Dungeon Craft

Dungeon Craft is an effort to develop an RPG and editor that mimics  SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA). A few improvements  have been made over the original FRUA, 16/24/32-bit color, more levels  allowed, editable items/monsters/spells, and the resulting design  includes the game executable so that each design is playable without the  editor. Other differences exist, but I have attempted to duplicate  FRUA/Gold Box behavior as much as possible. Of course, suggested  improvements have a good chance of making their way into the source  code.

Dungeon Craft is an Open Source project released under the Gnu  Public License. Links to the latest release of source and executables  are available on the downloads page. If you have comments or  suggestions, please visit SourceForge  where you may use our feature reguest and bug tracking systems, as well  as check out the DC open forums and send messages to the game's  developers.

(I'm going to convert many of my wall images to the DC format, but under the IronWorks link on the original page, you can find *TONS* of gorgeously, hand-painted combat icons, walls, etc. Be sure to check it out!)

http://uaf.sourceforge.net/

BTBuilder

Bt Builder is an open source implementation of the Bard's Tale Construction Set.  The eventual goal is to make a game builder that can implement the three main Bard's Tale games in addition to Construction Set games.  Other possible extensions include Wasteland and Dragon Wars.  The editor file formats and custom pictures have been deciphered.  At current we do not intend to decipher all file formats instead a new free collection of graphics and sounds will be included with the game. Work has started on a primitive map editor. The game interface fairly usable at the moment. The unimplemented features from the construction set are listed in the README.

(NOTE - I actually do a lot of the artwork on this one. All the dungeon walls are mine, as are some of the monster images. This one still requires the Bard's Tale Construction Set to Build a game, but BTBuilder has a built in Map editor, which allows map sizes up to 256x256, I think, unlimited number of specials, with no line limit and the xml files for Monsters, Items and Spells can be hand-edited. Also, I've converted the original BT1, 2 and 3 animated monsters to BTBuilder, as well as the ones from the PC version of the BTCS. I've re-created many of the walls, in 3D and have begun rendering the new wall sprites.)

ttp://www.identicalsoftware.com/btbuilder/

Exult
- Ported already by the INFAMOUS NovaCoder...... bleeding code monkey......

xu4

XU4 is a remake of the computer game Ultima IV.  The goal is to  make it easy and convenient to play this classic on modern operating  systems.  XU4 is primarily inspired by the much more ambitious project Exult.  XU4 is a cross-platform application thanks to SDL; it's available for Windows, MacOS X, Linux and more.

This project is currently under development and beta releases are  available.  The game is fully playable from beginning to end.  The very  latest source code can always be accessed from SVN.  Please post a message in our discussion forum if you are interested in helping.

A secondary goal of this project is to clearly document the formats  of the data files from the original Ultima IV.  This work in progress  is available here:  FileFormats.txt

Please see the README file for information on compiling, installing and running xu4.

The original Ultima IV is freeware.  Download it here!

http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

Wizardry Legacy

The goal is to remake a game similar to the original Wizardry series between 1 and 5. The idea is to make a generic game engine that will be able to support multiple adventures that people on the Internet could design. The game will include a map editor to do so. I expect the game to run on windows and linux, but the code will be open source.

This project was aborted in 2004 but it's reconstruction has been started in 2012. The goal is to make the code more portable and try to make the code of the game work. The rules of the game have also being redesigned and they will be tested on paper, like a table top RPG, before being implemented as a video game. I hope that this project will finally see the end.

For those who are not familiar with the Wizardry series, it's a video game that was first released on apple 2 and was eventually released on PC as the series advanced. Wizardry 1-3,5-6 has been ported on NES or SNES and many other side series where eventually released on console like Wizardry Empire and Wizardry Gaiden.

Wizardry has been designed by a Canadian company called sir-tech, but the game happens to be very popular in Japan. So much that even today, there are many wizardry games that has been released for the Game Boy Advance, Game boy DS, and Play Station 2 that are unfortunately only available in Japanese.

The wizardry games used most a rule system that was similar to dungeons and dragons. But the primary feature of the game is the difficulty which adds tension to battles. So the player is always on the edge since a bad move could cost him the life of a character which cannot be revived that easily.

(This game, so far, is incomplete.)

https://www.allegro.cc/depot/WizardryLegacy/

Zelda Classic

Zelda Classic is a highly functional and well-supported customizable remake of The Legend of Zelda for the NES. While it began as a simple clone of the original game, it extended far beyond that to become a comprehensive editing suite, allowing anybody to create their own Zelda style games, with unprecedented levels of customizability, all without having to rely on complex scripts.

Programmed by Dark Nation, DarkDragon, Takuya, and Koopa, and many others, we're constantly improving the capabilities of the engine every day, ultimately aiming for Zelda Classic to become the de facto standard of all Zelda-themed fan games.

Windows and Linux builds are up-to-date as of 1/23/07. Mac build will be updated shortly.

https://www.allegro.cc/depot/ZeldaClassic/

REminiscence

REminiscence is a rewrite of the engine used in the game Flashback from Delphine Software. This program is designed as a cross-platform replacement for the original executable and uses the SDL library.  

http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

Liero

Liero is a simple game. Pick your five weapons, and unleash your  inner fury. The game is always played one versus one on a map of your  choice, and yes, you have to play with someone who is right next to you.                        

To shoot is of course easy enough to figure out, but if you want  to step up your game, you need to figure out things like how to swing  yourself to safety with the ninja rope, to use timed weapons for area  denial, to hunt without being hunted, to ambush, hit and run, and  control that darn guided missile.                        
If you can do all these things, you may one day become a true champion, as the players in this video attempt.                        

http://www.liero.be/

Will update this, as people add new games that can be ported.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:22:44 AM by Methuselas »
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Games that could be ported to OS3.1
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:12 AM »
I'd think the open source Flashback port could be done too?

This would add a few additional features that were not present in the Amiga original such as speech.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amiman99

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:30:43 AM »
I wished someone could port Mr Driller! to Amiga.

anyone???
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Cool thread, lots of things more could be ported to 3.1.

Exult is already covered, I just need to find the time to optimize it for Classics.

[youtube]nffOaex-R8Q[/youtube]

I'm also working on a new SDL based Duke Nukem port.

[youtube]652rs12iSm8[/youtube]
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:28:13 AM »
But why 3.1? What does 3.1 have for games that 3.0 doesn't?

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »
Sex appeal? :p
CD32
A500

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;749953
Cool thread, lots of things more could be ported to 3.1.

Exult is already covered, I just need to find the time to optimize it for Classics.

This, I did not know, I'll update the OP.

I'm also working on a new SDL based Duke Nukem port.

This, I *DID* know, which is why I chose not to mention it. ;P

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »
Quote from: amiman99;749952
I wished someone could port Mr Driller! to Amiga.

anyone???

If you have a link to an open sourced port, post the link here, so it can be added to the list.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;749960
But why 3.1? What does 3.1 have for games that 3.0 doesn't?

What does 3.0 have that validates not needing to update to 3.1? My merely mentioning was the fact that *MOST* people are using 3.1. There's no conspiracy, so feel free to remove your tin-foil hat at any time..... :rolleyes:

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 08:48:35 PM »
@NovaCoder - Great news Ive wanted Exult on Amiga for some years now :)

Something I want to see on Amiga is a propper Liero clone!
This is probably the most accurate clone ever done, haven't looked at the source yet tho, latest release was this year! http://www.liero.be/
For those of you who do not know what Liero is, it's a 2 player (or one vs AI) "Worms" real-time mayhem!

There are tons more of games but my mind ain't fully working tonight ;)

Edit: Soldat could make a great multiplayer game for Amiga also, but it's to heavy and would require quite a rewrite, but none less a great multiplayer game!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:55:15 PM by som99 »

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;750051
What does 3.0 have that validates not needing to update to 3.1?

Nothing, but I ask again, what does 3.1 offer that's important for porting games, or anything for that matter?

My merely mentioning was the fact that *MOST* people are using 3.1.

First of all I asked NovaCoder, not you. Second, not everyone feels the need to upgrade. I mean, upgrade what exactly? If someone wants to run 3.5 or 3.9, then they have no choice. That's why I asked what 3.0 offers over 3.1 that justifies making 3.1 only ports.

There's no conspiracy, so feel free to remove your tin-foil hat at any time..... :rolleyes:

That's just ridiculous. Do you really think that I think it's some kind of conspiracy? The rolleyes smiley probably means you do :rolleyes:

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:40 AM »
Hey NovaCoder I have one question I want to ask you. Can all these port games you mentioned run 100% smoothly on an Amiga 4000D running at 50 Mhz speed with 128 Mb of RAM Blizzard card or they are really intended to work on an Amiga 1200 with 80 Mhz Apollo card?

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;750080
Hey NovaCoder I have one question I want to ask you. Can all these port games you mentioned run 100% smoothly on an Amiga 4000D running at 50 Mhz speed with 128 Mb of RAM Blizzard card or they are really intended to work on an Amiga 1200 with 80 Mhz Apollo card?

Hiya,

I normally just try to optimize them as much as possible, I'm not aiming for a specific specification.

It's too early to tell how fast I can get Exult and Duke Nukem to run.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 02:04:56 AM »
Thorham, please refrain from commenting on this thread any further. You're doing nothing that's adding anything to this thread and trolling doesn't count. I won't bother responding to your final comments, giving you flame bait.

@ Som99, thanks for the link. I'll update the OP.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:55 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;750081
Hiya,

I normally just try to optimize them as much as possible, I'm not aiming for a specific specification.

It's too early to tell how fast I can get Exult and Duke Nukem to run.

I bought my Amiga 500 for classic retro...now I am waiting for FPGA Replay. If FPGA Replay comes out then this will be my final AGA Amiga hardware ever...no more after that...with that I should be able to run all your ports SUPER fast and with ease and even watch movies and everything I ever wanted (even your DOSBox AGA should run smoothly on FPGA Replay).  I will keep my A500 for classic for retro games and feel and almost all games that would run on WHDLOAD on my A500...then the FPGA for the tough stuff and your ports.

Why am I saying all of that? Because if FPGA Replay does not come to reality then I will have a backup plan and it would be a classic Amiga. I have already tasted A1200 twice already and never had a chance to taste A4000...and I would like to try out the A4000D but if your ports cannot run fast and smooth on A4000D because all the 68k of A4000D maximum can reach and go to 50 Mhz then I will be forced to go A1200 again. I would rather have A4000D because it is more compact and space saving and I can have both A4000D and A500 on my desk easy. If, however, I to go through the route of A1200 (again) then I would have to have either A1200 or A500 on my desk and that is a problem. Because I have only space for either one of them and not both.

So is it possible you could confirm your game port speed optimization on A4000D? :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:37:12 AM by AmigaClassicRule »