Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4  (Read 4575 times)

Description:

Offline The_Power_of_the_Ginger

• Show only replies by The_Power_of_the_Ginger
    • http://madowl.coconia.net
Re: Gran Turismo 4
« Reply #29 from previous page: April 23, 2005, 09:32:07 PM »
For GT4, they should have included the car salesman from Gremlin's Supercars, where you had to sweet-talk your way to a lower price.

Or maybe next time they can put in some AI. That would be nice.

Or some damage!

Sorry, F1 Challenge aficionado (sic) here. Except I still also play F1GP. Because I can create the 2005 cars and drivers in 20 minutes...

And so ends my disjointed post. :-D
\\"Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!\\"

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2005, 11:06:47 PM »
Just found out something cool...my generic USB2 seven-in-one card reader for the PC is recognised by GT4. This was an el-cheapo reader/writer just for keeping backups of encrypted text files. I tried it on my PS2 just now and the quality of the saved picture is so good that I am tempted to build a montage of some of the classics. (Pictures saved to the PS2 memory cards are always compressed, whereas the USB ones do not have to be).
Nice feature, didn't think it would work with this reader and wasn't going to pay for a MicroVault just to save pictures from GT4.
In case anyone is interested this is the reader (mine has a USB2 logo on it, top right corner, otherwise it is identical).

Edit: the card I used was a 256mb Sony Memory Stick

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2005, 09:21:32 PM »
Well, I've just been playing the demo of Forza Racing ... gotta say, it's GT4 minus the drudgery, and plus the extras that the XBox has power to add.  The AI is very impressive, folling other cars they make mistakes (locking up the brakes, turning in too early etc), sometimes correcting themselves, sometimes not.

The Viper is actually realistic for a change, use more than 1/2 brake in a corner and the back brakes lock ...
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 07:20:30 AM »
I'm waiting for Forza also, but I doubt it will top GT4 in all areas (although I'm hoping).  

GT4 AI makes mistakes also, just watch in B-spec mode and you'll see your computer driver (and the others) make some  miscalculations.  

Yesterday I was racing a Family Cup (A-spec) on the Seatle Circuit (it's a good way to build A-spec points).  I was using my Camaro LM car with the difficulty set a +6 which was giving me about 100-120 A-spec points for the 2 lap race.  Coming to the chicane before the finish line I took a rather "cheap" inside line (I basicly straightlined it to try and pass).  The compters GT40 bumped me on the outside, then corrected, almost hit the outside wall, then corrected, and proceeded to lock up his brakes and hit the wall on the other side of the chicane.  It was so funny seeing this car go out of control right in front of me.  After that it was an easy pass and I won the race.  :-D  

@X-ray

98.5%.  Only a few driving missions left.  So far it's been a great experience.  I noticed today that the "secret" black cars were back in the used car lots, so I guess I've been playing for the equivilent 4 years now.   :lol:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 08:16:16 AM »
@ Holley and Adolescent

I don't have an X-Box but what I saw on the previews online of Forza looked good. The graphics aren't as good as GT4, but the damage and the AI could easily make up for it. The only variable then is whether the cars handle as nicely as GT4.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 10:27:21 PM »
From having a try of both, in Forza they handle more realistically, especially when you get to the point that all the wheels are locked and you're sliding into the gravel at 120, lol ...

The car graphics arn't as good, however the tracks are better (but then for car detail Rallysport Challenge is the champion anyway).
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Bezzen

• Show only replies by Bezzen
    • http://www.streammountain.se
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 10:37:18 PM »
I'm waiting for Forza too. Tried the demo and I liked it. It did feel a little more real than the GT games (I haven't played GT4 enough to make too many comments about that one though.).

When it comes to realism in driving games, you just can't beat GTR (GTR — FIA GT Racing Game). Unless you actually have a proper racing license there's no way you can play the "simulation" setting successfully. Even semi-pro is extremly difficult at first, but after a while you start to get rid of years of videogame arcade behavior and can actually start to get some decent laptimes.  :-D