Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gran Turismo 4  (Read 4584 times)

Description:

Offline PMCTopic starter

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
Gran Turismo 4
« on: November 26, 2004, 11:42:37 AM »
Wow.... Check these screenshots from GT4 (warning, takes a while to load due to large images)

http://delobbo.com/gran_turismo_4_1.html
Cecilia for President

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: Gran Turismo 4
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »
Yup, the only reason I got a PS2 back in 2001 was because of GT3. OF course the Grand theft Auto series was a bonus, a huge bonus, but basically my PS2 has paid for itself just with GT3 enjoyment.

And now we will have GT4. Awesome stuff. I'm a fan of the muscle cars: I can see a few competitions happening around here involving a GTO or two.

By the way is GT4 an online game? Because if it is I may get a network card if anyone here reckons they can take me on.

Offline scumble

• Show only replies by scumble
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 12:12:28 PM »
It's remarkable what Polyphony can squeeze out of the PS2. Whenever the thing actually comes out, I could be persuaded to get a PS2.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 12:21:39 PM »
I note that SCEI have still had no luck trying to license Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche (although RUF cars are allowed). Here's a link to the cars that are supposed to be in the game:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35057

In terms of GT3, my favourite 3 street-legal vehicles were the Mustang SVT, Zonda S and the LM Road Car.

But in GT4 I can see that being changed to the Boss Mustang, Zonda S, and Saleen S7. Well, if the Boss isn't there I can be persuaded to choose the Dodge Charger instead.

GT4: it is a definite purchase for PS2 owners, and with the consoles at £100 here in the UK, it may even be a tempting package deal for someone who doesn't have a PS2. You can get the quiet slim version now.

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 02:45:59 PM »
I like those pictures, just a pity the tracks and cars get in the way of a good backdrop :-P
X-ray wrote:
By the way is GT4 an online game? Because if it is I may get a network card if anyone here reckons they can take me on.

Last I heard was they were having a few problems with the online part, but they would still release it before christmas without it, then work on getting the online part done and release it a few months later.  Sounds a bit daft to me though.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline X-ray

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 03:26:40 PM »
@ Vince

Would they be releasing a new version or some kind of add-on (if such a thing can be made for PS2) ?

Offline PMCTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »
@X-ray

Yesssss!  My car's still there after making an appearence in GT3 (how weird it is to be driving my own car on a PS2).  Once your car appears in a Gran Turismo game then it's instant cred :lol:

156 2.5 V6 24V ('99)

I'm also well pleased to see another iconic car there

Golf I GTi ('76)

But no mention of either the Golf II GTi 16v or the Corrado VR6, my other two favorite VWs.

The Volvo estate would be fun punting around a racetrack.
Cecilia for President

Offline rayt

• Show only replies by rayt
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 04:01:50 PM »
Yeah the graphics are really stunning for the ps2. I've seen in a mag how they "digitalized" the nürburgring (hardest racing course in the world) and the results looked hardly different from the photos.
But until its realese, its enough time to check out metal gear solid 3 :-D

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 05:02:35 PM »

X-ray wrote:
Would they be releasing a new version or some kind of add-on (if such a thing can be made for PS2) ?

No idea, it was never really mentioned in detail.  I'm assuming it'd be an add-on, I think I read somewhere the network play would be released as a seperate disc if they could get it working that way.

You'd pay full price for the game, then maybe £10-15 for the network disc.  It means you're paying a 3rd extra, but it's better that way than selling a full price GT4 then selling another GT4 at full price with net play on it.  It would also confuse the shoppers which was which.

All that is under the assumption that they're sensible :-)
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline X-ray

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 05:06:39 PM »
I wish at least Porsche and Ferrari would play ball with the licensing. A Carrera GT and an Enzo would liven up quite a few races.

Also when the PS3 arrives, I hope they will have the resources to merge the excellent graphics of GT4 with decent physics, like Burnout 3. I can't see them achieving it on the PS2.

Offline PMCTopic starter

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 05:13:31 PM »

X-ray wrote:
I wish at least Porsche and Ferrari would play ball with the licensing. A Carrera GT and an Enzo would liven up quite a few races.

Half of the Gran Turismo appeal is finding a familiar car in the game.  Ferrari's and Porsches are all well and good, but many other driving sims offer the chance to drive them.  
Cecilia for President

Offline X-ray

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 05:45:13 PM »
For me it is the opposite: I want to mess around with stuff I can't have, even if it is just a game.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2004, 06:45:27 PM »
While we're all waiting for GT4, might I suggest kicking off a round of NetKar on the ole' PC?  Can't beat the price (free) and while there aren't MANY cars, they are from quite a wide range of genre's.  (1 supercar, 2 streetcars, 2 open wheelers, 1 classic, 2 touring, etc)  Superb physics... And network play works today.  (I have a server I can set up again, it's currently down, but I'd be more than willing to race some people on here!)

The base program and bunches of newer (better) tracks can be downloaded from the Official NetKar site.

Offline X-ray

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 08:36:06 PM »
Got GT4 today.
Graphics are amazing, nice selection of cars and tracks, same damn licence tests though and the computer cars are still proctologists.

But...well worth it. You gotta try it to believe the driving physics (no damage physics unfortunately). And if you have a GT3 save file you can transfer 100,000 credits from it so that you don't have to start out with a frikkin Lupo or a Mazda.
The Mustang GT is only 25k and you can use the remaining 75k to spruce it up a bit. I chose a more expensive but classic option: a 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda in Bahama Yellow. It looks and sounds fantastic.
Just letting the B-spec driver earn me some money so I can afford that tasty Saleen S7...

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 08:57:06 PM »
@X-ray:

It's amazing what A4KT can do with CSPPC attached and only 96MB ram. ;-)