Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming  (Read 8928 times)

Description:

Offline Beast96GT

• Show only replies by Beast96GT
Re: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Piru;679488
OpenGL support is still quite spotty with the windows, I'm afraid. Traditionally DirectX has gotten much more attention from the driver developers. It however is nowhere near as bad as it was couple of years ago.

What do you mean by spotty?  I'd argue that the Khronos group has remained active in it's support for updated technology.  It has had to. There are numerous titles that are developed with the latest OpenGL, take for instance Dark Siders.  

Which titles? I don't see any.

Well currently, there are none!  I'm thinking of future titles.  You have to start somewhere.

Could be, but I can count recent commercial amiga titles with one hand. None of them are nowhere near interesting for me to buy.

The X1000 just came out, correct?  I'm simply stating that the thing can grow and develop a user base.  Like I said, it would probably require some incentive to do so, e.g. money.  But it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Speaking as the owner and director of a games company, I can tell you now there is no way I would consider writing just for AmigaOS unless someone was paying me up front, because the numbers are just far too small. If you can get me £100,000 I'll get the guys started on a small game if you like, that should cover about 12 months work (as we're a very small company so we're very cheap compared to most) so we should be able to get a nice little game up.

Of course for your £100,000 you'll probably see sales - if we do a REALLY successful game - of about £10,000.

You might have a hard time getting financing with those numbers.

Honestly, I'm as pro-Amiga as anyone but seriously, the days of the Amiga as a commercial gaming platform are long gone. Heck, I wouldn't even want to do a game on the PC, which is a billion times the bigger platform, because there's no point - you can get much more return on a 360 or PS3.
For gaming, consoles have taken over the market.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;679506
Honestly, I'm as pro-Amiga as anyone but seriously, the days of the Amiga as a commercial gaming platform are long gone. Heck, I wouldn't even want to do a game on the PC, which is a billion times the bigger platform, because there's no point - you can get much more return on a 360 or PS3.
For gaming, consoles have taken over the market.

Amen.

The buzz is with the consoles and mobile devices (mostly apple store, some android market. The problem with android is that the device scene is too fragmented). The most notable success stories appear to follow the same script: 1) Make an basic game/app that is free or very cheap 2) Create internal content that is payware (more levels, more special/status items, whatever). Make purchasing very easy (single click if possible). 3) Give out free stuff out occasionally, adding even more potential future customers.

Some of the guys in the industry are paper billionaires now.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Quote from: Piru;679512
Amen.

The buzz is with the consoles and mobile devices (mostly apple store, some android market. The problem with android is that the device scene is too fragmented). The most notable success stories appear to follow the same script: 1) Make an basic game/app that is free or very cheap 2) Create internal content that is payware (more levels, more special/status items, whatever). Make purchasing very easy (single click if possible). 3) Give out free stuff out occasionally, adding even more potential future customers.

Some of the guys in the industry are paper billionaires now.

So Piru, what do you use MorphOS for?  

*(curious, since you've ignored Amigasociety's question three times now)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
66 million XBoxes @ USD 100 to 300.
55.5 million PS3s sold @ USD 300 to 400.
95 million Wii sold @ USD 100 to 300.

250 AmigaOne X1000s made. Priced at £1799, USD 3000.

If I'm a developer, which platform/s am I likely to develop for?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
Quote from: persia;679522

This makes me think of the fantastic Zero Mostel/Gene Wilder film "The Producers".

I'll write a game for you, sure. And if you pay me £1000 I'll give you 10% of all the profits. Then I just need to keep doing that for another 100 people and I'm rich!

Any takers? Go on, you know you want to....!
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »

The X1000 because you feel "Teh Spirit of Amiga!"

Or maybe that was just some bad fish?

Offline Piru

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
Quote from: danwood;679515
So Piru, what do you use MorphOS for?  
replied here

To elaborate, I've written all sort of things in MorphOS, here's some of the components I've touched over the last 11 years:
quark (kernel)
abox static and jit (trance) 68k emulators
abox exception handling and processing
btree,library
ramlib
sysdebug.library (built-in segtracker)
cyberguard (built-in enforcer)
exec.library
dos.library
shell
resident shell commands
utility.library
intuition.library
graphics.library
layers.library
cybergraphics.library
commodities.library
gadtools.library
cia(a|b).resource
card.resource
misc.resource
battclock.resource
battmem.resource
potgo.resource
clipboard.device
input.device
keyboard.device
timer.device
network drivers (SANA2)
monitor drivers (CGX)
scsi/sata/ide device drivers
c commands
various disk based libraries and components, too numerous to list, there are probably only a couple of things I haven't touched
datatype system
ixemul (nix port compatibility share library)
debug.lib (debug link-library)
libnix (amiga.lib replacement)
arexx
ambient, including icon and workbench libraries
contributions to poseidon (usb stack)

Degree of my involvement in each component of course varies. Some things I've written mostly myself, while other contributions are rather minor (bugfixes). The list is awfully incomplete, I  grouped ton of stuff to "various disk based libraries and components".

In short, this is what I use MorphOS for: Developing MorphOS.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:43:04 PM by Piru »

Offline brianb

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
I'm been sort of following the X1000...  But why is it so expensive!?  Any idea if that will come down over time?   I'm all for low volume novelty/hobby hardware.   But for $3000 I can buy a beast of a PowerMac.  On the PC side, for that you could have the ultimate gaming rig.   But I guess there is a market if they are selling...

Personally I'm pretty excited about the FPGA-Arcade...

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
Quote from: Piru;679533
replied here

To elaborate, I've written all sort of things in MorphOS, here's some of the components I've touched over the last 11 years:

Degree of my involvement in each component of course varies. Some things I've written mostly myself, while other contributions are rather minor (bugfixes). The list is awfully incomplete, I  grouped ton of stuff to "various disk based libraries and components".

In short, this is what I use MorphOS for: Developing MorphOS.

Wow, you must have a great passion for MorphOS.  Looks like you have worked hard to make MorphOS a viable Amiga based OS.  

I know from the little time I have spent using 2.7, I really like the Ambient desktop.  So smooth and has a very fresh feel to it.

Tell me though, I take it all that you have done with and for MorphOS has been as a hobby only?  

I would take it you put MorphOS in the same category as Amiga OS 4.1.x and AROS as a hobby OS only and not one folks should look at to help run their businesses or for production of modern gaming, like we have been discussing in this thread I started?

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Quote from: brianb;679535
I'm been sort of following the X1000...  But why is it so expensive!?  Any idea if that will come down over time?   I'm all for low volume novelty/hobby hardware.   But for $3000 I can buy a beast of a PowerMac.  On the PC side, for that you could have the ultimate gaming rig.   But I guess there is a market if they are selling...

Personally I'm pretty excited about the FPGA-Arcade...

Offline Piru

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;679549
Tell me though, I take it all that you have done with and for MorphOS has been as a hobby only?

Yep. It has been pretty good reference though. :P

I would take it you put MorphOS in the same category as Amiga OS 4.1.x and AROS as a hobby OS only and not one folks should look at to help run their businesses or for production of modern gaming, like we have been discussing in this thread I started?

Indeed I do.

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »
Quote from: Piru;679555
Yep. It has been pretty good reference though. :P

Indeed I do.

Thanks for the honest answer.

Looking forward to when MorphOS 3.0 comes out as I will be diving in more myself to learn as maybe it will also be a good reference for me also.

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »

Thats silly argument when brought my sony ps3 when first released in new zealand it
was in fact 1200.00 nz plus it was more xpensive than was in the usa and we had to wait till yanks got there fill and they took out the ps2 hardware emulation.

And they where not many good game si even liked for the machine they dont always get it right certainly wasint the ps2 all over again. i used it for media centre and blu ray player
Played bit of reisitance and one car racing game forget the title

but i do agree with what platform u whould devlep for mind it be nice to have some orginal type amiga games not much orginal these days from big companys
there just after big bucks and playing it safe dumbing the games down really

forget team 17 are still in the market and others that cut there theeth on the amiga
And alot people play those god alwfull flash games like farmville evony my nephew spends hours on that thing , i should imagine as there web based you will be able play these on amiga once the firefox port is brought along more. i say its quality not quanity
So little game that costs less to make , get it beta tested on amiga flash up graphics for xbox ps3 vita ? there you got you money back , and alot eager testers to try for you
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline spirantho

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
I think you're underestimating how much work is involved in porting to a new platform.
Put it this way:
Estimated cost to port: $10,000
estimated return on investment: $1000

Developing a commercial game on the Amiga is tantamount to charity, I'm afraid. There is just no business sense at all.
If you want to spend several thousand on getting a game written then great, but no company will.
--
Ian Gledhill

Offline Grapple Convoy

• Show only replies by Grapple Convoy
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 06, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;679418
Since the late 1990s, the Amiga has been years behind PCs and consoles in terms of games.

By "the late 1990s", I think you mean 1994. By then Amiga games were either poor clones of Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, or technically limited "Doom clones".