Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming  (Read 8916 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming
« on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:11 PM »
Curious about gaming on the Amiga platform.

Now that the AmigaOne X1000 is shipping, and Amiga OS is up to 4.1u5, I wonder if this newer more powerful NG Amiga would make a killer gaming platform also.

My guess the AmigaOne X1000 was designed for more professional use but now that it is the most powerful system to run Amiga OS 4.x, will it attract any from the outside work on the gaming capability of the Amiga platform.

Is gaming relying on strictly high GHz power to propel the 3D nature of gaming or does the respondent OS have anything to do with gaming?

Obviously most games 3D games these days are running on Windows based platform with gaming computers, high overclocked CPUs, water cooling, and all that.

But, is it that they need all this speed because of the bogged down Windows it runs on?

Can a speedy X1000 running Amiga OS make some killer gaming because of how fast the Amiga OS is?

Or again is it all about power power power?

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: AmigaOne X1000, Amiga OS 4.1.x, & Gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:04:10 PM »
My guess the AmigaOne X1000 was designed for more professional use
Really? Doing what exactly?

Is gaming relying on strictly high GHz power to propel the 3D nature of gaming or does the respondent OS have anything to do with gaming?
The OS has to provide the necessary services for the games to utilize. Today that's DirectX 11.

Obviously most games 3D games these days are running on Windows based platform with gaming computers, high overclocked CPUs, water cooling, and all that.

But, is it that they need all this speed because of the bogged down Windows it runs on?

Can a speedy X1000 running Amiga OS make some killer gaming because of how fast the Amiga OS is?
Are you serious?

It's about market size. No-one is going to bother with commercial games if the potential sales are counted in hundreds.

So you can forget any kind of commercial games.

Also, I'd say it doesn't help that the actual 3D drivers are nowhere to be seen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:13:22 PM by Piru »

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
Sure, just install the driver.

Oh wait....

Offline bigmac

• Show only replies by bigmac
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »
Now now chaps the guy is just excited about his new toy, but your perfectly correct in what you say. The x1000 could turn out to be the most expensive ornament in his house
we will just have to wait and see...............
:-D[color=CC0000]Why do we make the seemingly simple more complicated?[/color][/b]

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Quote from: bigmac;679402
Now now chaps the guy is just excited about his new toy, but your perfectly correct in what you say. The x1000 could turn out to be the most expensive ornament in his house
we will just have to wait and see...............

Now I understand the business plan behind the X1000. It's a computer for women. They like to decorate the house with expensive useless things. What a brillinat strategy that is. Impressing!

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
My question was genuine.

I am not a gamer, don't really follow it in the gaming world, and wondered if a modern day Amiga has good gaming capability.

If I am not mistaken, some popular gaming platforms are PPC based with CPUs that are not super pumped up with all the water cooling, overclocked cpus, etc...

And obviously these major gaming platforms are still in business and making fun games for all.

So I was curious what stands behind the game and it capability.... is it all about power power power only or does the OS have something to do with it, or all about drivers for the GPUs and that is where gaming is now.

So, right now, same question for MorphOS since I am also planning on buying and supporting this platform, mostly for fun and to help support the folks that work hard on it.

Does the MorphOS platform, version 2.7 or the newer 3.0 coming out, running on say Mac Minis, make a favorable and fun platform to support gaming developers?

TJ
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;679409
My question was genuine.

I am not a gamer, don't really follow it in the gaming world, and wondered if a modern day Amiga has good gaming capability.

If I am not mistaken, some popular gaming platforms are PPC based with CPUs that are not super pumped up with all the water cooling, overclocked cpus, etc...

And obviously these major gaming platforms are still in business and making fun games for all.

So I was curious what stands behind the game and it capability.... is it all about power power power only or does the OS have something to do with it, or all about drivers for the GPUs and that is where gaming is now.

So, right now, same question for MorphOS since I am also planning on buying and supporting this platform, mostly for fun and to help support the folks that work hard on it.

Does the MorphOS platform, version 2.7 or the newer 3.0 coming out, running on say Mac Minis, make a favorable and fun platform to support gaming developers?

TJ

The secret is in the GPU support.

Seriously, if you're worried about games you picked absolutely the worst system imaginable. Did you get rid of your A4000? That was a far, far better platform for games - but then it was an Amiga, not an AmigaOne like what you have now. Apparently you don't understand the difference.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:20:13 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;679412
The secret is in the GPU support.

Seriously, if you're worried about games you picked absolutely the worst system imaginable. Did you get rid of your A4000? That was a far, far better platform for games - but then it was an Amiga, not an AmigaOne like what you have now. Apparently you don't understand the difference.

No, I own a A4000T, A1000, CD32, SAM 440ep, and the X1000.

As mentioned before, I am not a gamer, at least in the modern sense.  Worried about gaming, that is silly.  Just questions for learning more about the subject and looking for info and feedback.

I enjoy the games from the wayback machine, but that does not mean if I am curious, and have questions, not to ask them in the forums.

Since I do not have a great knowledge of the gaming platform of today, other  that the few I play like Castle Wolfenstein once in a while, my question was just out of curiousty, not that I purchased my X1000 for gaming.

I use Mac professionally and the X1000 will also be used in my office, so no plan to be an expensive ornament as another user put it.

I take it some of you don't feel Amiga OS or even MorphOS are not used for business use or gaming?

If that is the case, why be on these forums?  What about Amiga OS or MorphOS do YOU use them for?

Some will be hobby, some gaming, some professionally, it is just a computer, and whatever model makes the day go happily along, the more power to the owner.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:48 PM »
Since the late 1990s, the Amiga has been years behind PCs and consoles in terms of games. We have some fun Amiga-developed shareware and ports of open-source stuff ("homebrew", in modern parlance), but a single modern major commercial game is developed by hundreds if not thousands of developers, and with a budget of millions upon millions of dollars. No commercial publisher is going to come anywhere near the X1000 with its installed base in the tens of users right now, regardless of the technical capabilities of the hardware. Same thing with MorphOS and the other OS4 machines, which estimates suggest number well under 10,000 users combined.

Attracting commercial interest will only be realistic if the user base can be grown to the millions. In the meantime, it's a homebrew world we're living in.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;679418
Since the late 1990s, the Amiga has been years behind PCs and consoles in terms of games. We have some fun Amiga-developed shareware and ports of open-source stuff ("homebrew", in modern parlance), but a single modern major commercial game is developed by hundreds if not thousands of developers, and with a budget of millions upon millions of dollars. No commercial publisher is going to come anywhere near the X1000 with its installed base in the tens of users right now, regardless of the technical capabilities of the hardware. Same thing with MorphOS and the other OS4 machines, which estimates suggest number well under 10,000 users combined.

Attracting commercial interest will only be realistic if the user base can be grown to the millions. In the meantime, it's a homebrew world we're living in.

I guess a huge hand and thanks goes out to the folks that keep this Amiga platform alive, even with open source ports.

Kind of sad the Atari and Commodore of days past are no longer alive and especially in the gaming world.

But my use again is not games but still nice to know some folks port some games over for us to enjoy.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 09:41:59 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;679416

Some will be hobby, some gaming, some professionally, it is just a computer, and whatever model makes the day go happily along, the more power to the owner.

tj

you will have hard time to find an adequate application for an amiga today. i have had such an application at least for some time, due to amigas unique hardware features. but it really demanded genuine amiga hardware in my case. neither pcs nor similar amigalike ng solutions like amigaone or macmini would come in question. to be honest i dont know what i would do with an amigaone if i had one, and therefore i dont care. with an original amiga you have a unique hardware to play with and see in what it differs from todays pc. with an amigaone you do not have neither this nor the other, i guess.

btw. for what do you use or intend to use your amigas, sams or x1k? im having my a4k turned on daily, but lately it was mostly to test aros and program a little presentation, it revolves a little around itself these days i must admit. of course im doing most my productivity stuff on pc next to it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:45:52 PM by wawrzon »

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
@amigasiciety

Exactly, amigaos, morphos or aros is just a hobbie os, no way for gaming or professional use, but... you buy a 2500eur computer for some emuls and office works, thats the true.

I dont understand the people that try to put the amiga on the professional side.
a1200 060

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
Quote from: amigasociety;679416
Some will be hobby, some gaming, some professionally
Anyone using these NG systems for any professional work are few and far between, you could likely count them with fingers in our one hand (no office suite or support for modern file formats kind of kills the whole idea). Gaming is probably limited to retro action, such as mame and friends (and to be honest you can run mame on pretty much any box, it doesn't have to be $1000-$3000 one). For serious gaming (modern titles) you'll just use a PC, Mac or a console.

Hobby.. that's the ticket.

amigasociety, I sincerely do hope you did consider these issues before buying your $3000 computer.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:48:35 PM by Piru »

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
Quote from: Piru;679427
Anyone using these NG systems for any professional work are few and far between, you could likely count them with fingers in our one hand (no office suite or support for modern file formats kind of kills the whole idea). Gaming is probably limited to retro action, such as mame and friends (and to be honest you can run mame on pretty much any box, it doesn't have to be $1000-$3000 one). For serious gaming (modern titles) you'll just use a PC, Mac or a console.

amigasociety, I sincerely do hope you did consider these issues before buying your $3000 computer.

Piru, the X1000 was purchased mostly for hobby and fun but with a dream that fun new things will come from the platform.

No, the X1000 was not purchased so I can throw out my Macs or replace them.  :roflmao:

I enjoy many platforms and the X1000 now sitting at my main office u shaped desk will be used for mostly bringing computing fun back into my life but just like most computers in my home, I find a everyday use for them, and the X1000 will for sure see that happen.

I must say, what I like most about Amiga X1000 and the Amiga OS, is the super fast desktop experience.  Must say on my Mac, even one that is real new with no defrag issues in the drive, spinning beach ball starts to drive me nuts.

It is nice to do some basic computing on Amiga OS and MorphOS that just flies and that is probably the biggest selling point for me.

tj
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:08:52 PM by amigasociety »
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
Quote from: Piru;679427

Me thinks Piru might be jealous that he doesn't own his own x1000.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.