Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS for the X1000  (Read 9144 times)

Description:

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
Re: OS for the X1000
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 06, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
Quote from: Buzzfuzz;653094
I can and I know how to, I've been around for a while!

Just give me one good reason why I should spent around 1500 euro for a machine that runs OS4.2 or whatever it will be, if you can think of more than one, please, write it down here.
thats silly its up to you to deicde if you want to buy something
and as its not yet in production to buy its bit early to judge whats its real world appeal will be
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
I kind of hope it becomes an all in one box not unlike what Amiga was said to have been heading towards before everything collapsed. That being an Amiga that could also run Mac OS and Windows at very reasonable speeds.

Now mind you, I've no intention to run OS X or Windows on any of my Amigas even if I could, but I think with that secondary programmable processor or what ever it is, coupled with the already fast hardware that is present on this board, I would think they you'd have the perfect platform to not only trick this system into thinking it has the original Amiga chip set available, but also to trick it into thinking it is all sorts of other hardware. All while leaving the main processor free to do it's thing!

Or do I have my facts all wrong?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline BuzzfuzzTopic starter

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »
I have no intention either of doing that, I have a PC for that :)
I certainly hope that OS 4.2 can do what you are saying.

Quote from: XDelusion;653340

Now mind you, I've no intention to run OS X or Windows on any of my Amigas even if I could, but I think with that secondary programmable processor or what ever it is, coupled with the already fast hardware that is present on this board, I would think they you'd have the perfect platform to not only trick this system into thinking it has the original Amiga chip set available, but also to trick it into thinking it is all sorts of other hardware. All while leaving the main processor free to do it's thing!
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;653279
Since this thread is supposed to be about the OS for the X1000, I wonder if the AROS Team will consider porting AROS to the X1000?

PPC is completely wrong target platform for AROS development.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
Quote from: itix;653348
PPC is completely wrong target platform for AROS development.

The A-Cube motherboards already have a working AROS port.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
I'd like (when it is a bit more finely polished) to see AROS running on one of those hand held touch screen devices personally.

I see the X1000 as an Amiga OS 4 machine and that's what (if I see it being worth while) will buy one for, that being to have the best OS4 machine possible...

...though we'll see, it all depends upon the developers.

One thing the Amiga (all variants) could really go for is some original apps. I LOVE the ports, keep them up, but I miss the old days when you could go through Aminet and find all sorts of exotic software that was very original, unique, and only on Amiga.

Showgirls I feel would be one great example of such software.

In regards to OS4, that extra processor once again could be the key...

Of course that might tick off OS4 users that don't have an X1000, having software that their hardware don't support. Then again, if the X1000 becomes that good, then it would also serve as incentive to purchase one.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 01:34:29 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;653357
The A-Cube motherboards already have a working AROS port.

And it serves only for technology demo. It can not run 68k binaries so it is better run AROS natively on x86 or m68 hardware (i.e. Natami if it ever gets released).
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
Quote from: itix;653372
And it serves only for technology demo. It can not run 68k binaries so it is better run AROS natively on x86 or m68 hardware (i.e. Natami if it ever gets released).
What is needed then is a PPC implementation of a 68k emulator...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline dreamcast270mhz

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
E-UAE runs on MorphOS.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
Several UAE type solutions for PPC/OS 4 as well.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Yeah, but it's still a separate emulator, right? Something like the OS-integrated emulation on Power Macs would be nice for use with OS-friendly apps.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;653391
Yeah, but it's still a separate emulator, right? Something like the OS-integrated emulation on Power Macs would be nice for use with OS-friendly apps.

Is this not Petunia, a feature of OS4 for years?
http://www.amiga.hu/amigos/rachy/petunia.html

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
OS4 has Petunia built in, and there's UAE and various GUI interfaces for said UAE.  Works well and quite seamlessly, for the most part.

I'm not a gamer, but most of the productivity and comms stuff I run that's 68k legacy runs just fine on my SAM 440/OS 4.1u2.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2011, 06:24:16 PM »
@itix & commodorejohn,

Both MorphOS and OS4 CAN run many Amiga 68k binaries natively, the ones that are OS3.x friendly and do not bang the hardware.  For all other Amiga 68k programs, such as hardware banging games, UAE can be integrated into both OS4 and MorphOS very seamlessly with just a bit of scripting.  All of the above has been available for a long time, so your posts are surprisingly uninformed.  Check out a OS4, or MorphOS forum some time and you will learn a lot more.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
Buzzfuzz, just out of curiosity, why is this thread titled OS for the X1000, when it clearly nothing about that, it should of been titled "bold statement" or something. Just wondered.  

Quote from: jorkany;653216
What have Aeon and Hyperion ever done for the Amiga community?.

One of the few companies to support Amiga shows, (and no they are not OS4 special show it just seem that OS4 supporter seem to support them more).

Advertising and support one of the last major Amiga Magazine, that covers, Aros, MorpthOS and Classic scene. Amiga Future

Supporting one of the last major retailer in the Amiga world Amiga Kit.

Supporting various Bounty's and projects, that usually befits all amiga ng platforms.

Supporting developers with Loner hardware projects.

Still supporting the Classic Amiga PPC line.

etc.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
Quote from: itix;653372

Neither can AROS on x86 so it's just as useless/useful as the PPC port.

99% of AROS software is open source anyway so the CPU architecture it runs on its largely irrelevant.

What AROS PPC does need is binary compatibility with MorphOS and/or OS4 software.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini