Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any SGI fans?  (Read 8061 times)

Description:

Offline TeamBlackFoxTopic starter

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
Any SGI fans?
« on: May 25, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
Sorry for my absence, I've been busy working as a datacenter tech and unfortunately it's been taking up a lot of my time.

Anyways I picked up an SGI Fuel with 4GB RAM, an R14000 at 600mhz, three SCSI drives and a DVD drive. I also have an Octane and a Personal Iris. These all run IRIX which is probably the best variant of UNIX of its time. Not only was it used in a lot of computer animation in movies but the MIPS architecture seems to be the most efficient architecture in terms of mhz vs Flops. According to some bench marks the SGI Fuel with a 700mhz R16000 is equivalent to a 3Ghz Pentium 4. Yes I know that's old hardware but SGI stopped production of these machines in 2006 so it fits.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Re: Any SGI fans?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 03:26:49 PM »
I have two O2 machines and a Octane.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Neat!
That is an architecture I've always wanted to explore.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

• Master SPARC
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
Iggy it's definitely worth taking a look at. If you want to get a nice and cheap one look for an SGI O2 or an Octane off ebay or nekochan.net
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 06:18:36 PM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;765035
Iggy it's definitely worth taking a look at. If you want to get a nice and cheap one look for an SGI O2 or an Octane off ebay or nekochan.net

Thanks, I'll take a look.
It would go nicely with my Sun hardware.
I like Unix, Unix derivatives, and RISC processors.
And MIPS is an ISA I have not examined.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
I got two Indigo².
Better sorry than worry.

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
I have an old Indigo2 also. I just found the special monitor cable to hook it up. Does anyone know if it will connect to an LCD without smoke? It's been stored for years now. Fire it up again? What do you think...

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
I just looked up the specs on the SGI Fuel.
Man, you have one seriously nice workstation.
Wish I could find one.
If this is a low to mid end product, what other MIPS based devices did SGI offer at the end of their MIPS production?

Offline rednova

• Show only replies by rednova
    • https://sites.google.com/site/rednova3d/
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
Hi:
I had a working o2 for one year.
It was slower than my souped up pentium tower, but I really had fun with it.
I really loved it !!!
I used it to render lightwave 3d on it.
It was like a trophy to me, a working nice o2 !!!
I really loved the o2, but now I mainly use a pentium pc.
Love !!!
-mobilis in mobile-

• Master SPARC
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »
Jeff,

It won't smoke at all, You may have issues with the picture coming in on some monitors but most monitors support the sync on green protocol it uses.

Iggy,

Onyx 350s are rack mount and on the high end of it, they have up to 1ghz quad cores. Same for the Tezro. If you have the space there are the Origin and Onyx 3000s, bigger than a fridge. Those are clusters. Also most SGIs have craylink which allows you cluster them with a low latency, 3.2 gigabit connection. If you cluster a few SGI Onyx , Octanes or other high end ones you can have a monster of a machine.

If anyone wants one I have one I don't mind selling, but its heavy as hell so shipping is not a good idea.

Offline huronking

• Show only replies by huronking
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
I had a surplus 4D/85 with full-height SCSI's that I had a lot of fun with. Someone bought it at an auction and couldn't use it because of the 30 amp service (with suicide cord) so I got it for free.

Of course the machine was password protected, but as was common practice in that day, for whatever reason, the tape backup had its own account and the password was "epat" (if I remember correctly), which I used to FTP the password file out into a PC and run the brute-force hash program "Jackpot" on, and lucky me, the root password was "tadpole".

I had no idea about the machine's history in the beginning, but soon found that it had come from the U.S. Army's HRED simulation lab in Orlando, and hadn't been wiped. It was full of VR simulation projects in various stages of development, email, notes, etc.

I played around with it for a while, but decided the enormous SCSI drives would be better used on my A2000 since I could afford the electricity to run it. Alas, the full-height drives were hard-sectored and I could not get them to format properly, but I managed to destroy the sensitive data which was just as well.

The irony is that this was 15 years ago, and last month I spent time in modern Army simulators that still represent the work that took place in that junk SGI(with much more capable hardware, of course).

I gave the machine (less the drives) away when I moved and Im sure it got scrapped. I wish I still had it today.
I have to agree, though- I liked IRIX too.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;765071
Jeff,

It won't smoke at all, You may have issues with the picture coming in on some monitors but most monitors support the sync on green protocol it uses.

Iggy,

Onyx 350s are rack mount and on the high end of it, they have up to 1ghz quad cores. Same for the Tezro. If you have the space there are the Origin and Onyx 3000s, bigger than a fridge. Those are clusters. Also most SGIs have craylink which allows you cluster them with a low latency, 3.2 gigabit connection. If you cluster a few SGI Onyx , Octanes or other high end ones you can have a monster of a machine.

If anyone wants one I have one I don't mind selling, but its heavy as hell so shipping is not a good idea.

Where are you?
Sounds like they are RISC dream machines.

• Master SPARC
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »
Iggy,

I live outside of DC in the Northern Virginia area.

I've a Personal Iris 4D/35+ in storage with a friend,that's the one I was looking to sell. It has 64mb RAM, a 676mb SCSI drive and I have a nice keyboard and optical mouse for it. Its about on par with a 486 at 66mhz from what I have seen.

Offline jlariv8957

• Show only replies by jlariv8957
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
Hi,

Yep, I had an O2, now I have an Octane 2x300Mhz 1Gb RAM, 73GB disk.
I also have a Sun Ultra 10, very good machines.

Just in case, i'm looking for Octane drive caddies.
Thanks

Offline Iggy

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
Quote from: TeamBlackFox;765091
Iggy,

I live outside of DC in the Northern Virginia area.

I've a Personal Iris 4D/35+ in storage with a friend,that's the one I was looking to sell. It has 64mb RAM, a 676mb SCSI drive and I have a nice keyboard and optical mouse for it. Its about on par with a 486 at 66mhz from what I have seen.

The 35 MHz  model.
Interesting.
PM me a price.

BTW - What would that run? IRIX 5.2?