Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SFS and PFS won't work  (Read 8803 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: SFS and PFS won't work
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 23, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;797972
Yes.  Doesn't work with latest version of AIO.  I can dig up the error message later, but it was pretty straight-forward - basically "Does not support this version, blah blah", the one time I tried it.  ;)

report to toni per mail or eab. he is the maintainer.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;797972
Yes.  Doesn't work with latest version of AIO.  I can dig up the error message later, but it was pretty straight-forward - basically "Does not support this version, blah blah", the one time I tried it.  ;)

The only time I've had to run pfsdoctor I used the MorphOS native version.  I don't recall any issues with it, though it was quite a while ago so my memory is very hazy.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline RCtechTopic starter

• Show only replies by RCtech
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »
After some years of no working Amiga I finally found time to check out my A500/A570 again. I'm now using the last version of PFS3AIO, and it works fine on the 68000. I've got some partitions in the 4095 MB, and a dummy partition with one block directly on the 4G border, so no partition can be across this area.

Actually I'm using about 6 GB, all partitions are formatted in PFS3AIO and shown in Kickstart 1.3 and 3.1. The rest of the drive is splitted in three partitions to 22 GB each. And this is the problem: I can format them in HDInstTools, the PFS window pops up and after a while the drive shows up. But after a reboot the 22 GB partitions are not existing, they're not even listed in assign devices. Is there a partition size limit in PFS? I'm actually using PFS\0. What is the difference between PFS3AIO and PFS3AIO-custom?

Another question is: How does Kickstart 1.3 handle the 4G-Border? I've copied a disk to a partition directly above the 4G-Border and it worked.

Other things: There is somewhere a patch that Workbench 3.1 shows large partition sizes. I haven't found it yet, is somebody using it? For Workbench 1.3 an enhancement existed, it provided nearly all functions of Workbench 2.0. But I don't remember the name anymore. Has anyone an idea what this could be?

Greets, RC.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:26:45 PM by RCtech »

guest11527

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
Quote from: RCtech;839598
Another question is: How does Kickstart 1.3 handle the 4G-Border? I've copied a disk to a partition directly above the 4G-Border and it worked.
This is a matter of the file system and not of the kickstart. However, as far as the FFS of Kick 1.3 is concerned: "Not at all". It will just self-destruct its partition.

Quote from: RCtech;839598
Other things: There is somewhere a patch that Workbench 3.1 shows large partition sizes.
Yes, it's called Workbench 3.1.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 12:35:34 PM »
If it wasn't clear, no partition is FFS 45.9 because it doesn't work in 1.3, and I don't wanted to use the original FFS.
So the question is exactly: Is it possible to use partitions formatted in PFS3AIO above the 4G border in Kickstart 1.3 ?

Workbench 3.1 shows in the window title only partitions sizes <4G correctly, larger partitions have an incorrect size.

guest11527

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 08:44:53 AM »
Quote from: RCtech;839604
So the question is exactly: Is it possible to use partitions formatted in PFS3AIO above the 4G border in Kickstart 1.3 ?
That depends on the device the file system is mounted on. It is not the kickstart that limits the partition size, but the file system and the device it is mounted on.

Workbench 3.1 shows in the window title only partitions sizes <4G correctly, larger partitions have an incorrect size.
Sorry, 3.9 fixes that. And 3.1.4 of course, too.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »
Is it possible to use partitions formatted in PFS3AIO above the 4G border in Kickstart 1.3 ?

PFS3AIO checks whether the beginning and the end of the partition are accessible and refuses to mount if not. So if a partition shows up, you can safely use it.

guest11527

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;839630
PFS3AIO checks whether the beginning and the end of the partition are accessible and refuses to mount if not. So if a partition shows up, you can safely use it.

Well... The problem is that the device might interpret the access modulo 4GB. Thus, while the first and the (seemingly) last block are accessible, they might not be what you expect.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
I've never heard about Workbench 3.1.4... ok I'm 15 years out ;-) Is it available to buy somewehre or isn't it finsihed yet?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
Quote from: Thomas Richter;839631
Well... The problem is that the device might interpret the access modulo 4GB. Thus, while the first and the (seemingly) last block are accessible, they might not be what you expect.

I'd find it rather strange for a SCSI driver to "interpret" the input of a HD_SCSICMD request. This would mean that the driver calculates the offset from the block number only to convert it back into a block number to be sent over the SCSI bus. Quite an unnecessary set of calculations.

And for TD64 or NSD it would be a catastrophic programming failure to calculate the input modulo 4G because these commands are made for 64bit. But I doubt they are supported by the A570 anyway.