Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Philosophical Question - Amiguing  (Read 13306 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Philosophical Question - Amiguing
« Reply #284 from previous page: July 31, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;742967
That doesn't follow. Damage to the brain would only have no effect on personality if the brain played absolutely no part in things beyond mechanical coordination, which I don't think most people who believe in a soul are claiming.

I was under the impression that souls were autonomous as they can carry on existing after we are dead. No religion has provided any explanation of that though, so it is possible that your brain and soul could work together and when your brain died your soul goes off in some form of emergency mode.

Quote from: commodorejohn;742967

Again, though, the problem with that idea is that a "soul" that exists within a biologically-deterministic flesh-and-blood creature doesn't fit the general definition of a soul at all, because it's still (theoretically) bound by biochemical determinism.

There is no general definition of soul. I googled definition of soul and it came back with:

1. The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.
2. A person's moral or emotional nature or sense of identity.

The visible effects of a person's "soul" are what everyone can agree to, where that comes from is what is up for debate. Religion's don't own the word soul.

I believe the human "soul" is deterministic, it's just currently too impossibly complex to model it. The idea of the soul being separate came because they couldn't comprehend that anything in the human body could do something that complex, they didn't have digital watches then either though.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 06:01:42 PM by psxphill »

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #285 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »
Did anybody read my earlier post about the meaning of the word soul? The idea of an immortal soul we owe as much to philosophy as to religion.

I'm actually with Psxphill at this moment, the soul is an emergent process. The physical laws the atoms obey might be well understood, but understanding how something works at an atomic level, and understanding what it does at the macroscopic level, are two completely different things. The "determinism" of the soul is not physical/biological determinism though, it is abstracted from that. Just like you can have machine-independent programming languages, you can have biology-independent souls, but they still need a body to run on.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #286 on: August 01, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
The soul is simply the vehicle for immortality invented by humans to explain how people could live forever when it became obvious that dead bodies decay and can never be revived-: the body dies, but the "soul" can live forever, therefore immortality is possible.

Why is "immortality" so important to humans?  At its heart, its because humans don't want to let go of loved ones that pass away ie we'll all meet up again because we have "souls" that live forever.

Me- I try to  make the most of the time with the people that matter to me in this existence.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
I found this paper a while ago, quite interesting:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/InstituteofCognitionCulture/FileUploadPage/Filetoupload,90230,en.pdf

The concept of the state of the dead in children is actually not a million miles away from ancient Sumerian beliefs on the subject. Perhaps we have gradually rationalised these "natural" beliefs over the centuries. But belief in the afterlife wasn't as universal in the ancient world as is commonly thought.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #288 on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;743355
The soul is simply the vehicle for immortality invented by humans to explain how people could live forever when it became obvious that dead bodies decay and can never be revived-: the body dies, but the "soul" can live forever, therefore immortality is possible.
Or perhaps because of the realization that there may be more than just the physical universe.

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »
Quote from: Thorham;743361
Or perhaps because of the realization that there may be more than just the physical universe.

I can't disprove that there may be more than just the physical universe.  

Or even if there is another or perhaps many more physical universes, no matter what Brian Greene thinks about it!

And believing that there is an afterlife probably helps people copes with the finality of death-by not dealing with the finality of death.

The downside is that we may end up not full appreciating *this* existence, the here and now, in the belief that there is an afterlife...which might not be there.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »
Quote from: stefcep2;743394
The downside is that we may end up not full appreciating *this* existence, the here and now, in the belief that there is an afterlife...which might not be there.
Not that there aren't people who do this, but they don't go hand-in-hand.

(And it's bad theology in a number of different religions, anyway, since what you do in this life usually counts big-time even if the end of this life isn't the end of you.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #291 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Interesting/relevant article in the news today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8593748.stm