Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Philosophical Question - Amiguing  (Read 13330 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellosTopic starter

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
Philosophical Question - Amiguing
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »
Question is:

-> Why do we(1) keep trying to cultivate the Amiga, knowing that, most probably it's some kind of nostalgic feeling about the surrounding of our life experiences(2) when we first had the original Amigas?

(1) I include myself on it.
(2) Youth, already deceased family members, places, childhood, teenage, ex girlfriends, ...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline nicholas

Re: Philosophical Question - Amiguing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
I think a more important question is "Why not?" :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
I never had an Amiga growing up; I was a Mac kid. Didn't get my first A500 until 2000, when I was 16. So no nostalgia for a lost childhood here, except in that I remember how, when I was a kid, personal computers were going to be a tool to enrich the lives of the masses and bring a whole new level of creative power to basically everybody, instead of the glorified TVs they're becoming these days.

The Amiga, like 68k Macs, reminds me of those days, and that lost dream; indeed, you could make an argument that the Amiga, in its day, was at the forefront of that. I don't think that's "mere" nostalgia.

(Additionally, the Amiga is a lovely, elegant system design, that deserves a lot more respect than it gets.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline spirantho

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
Nothing to do with nostalgia for me.... AmigaOS is the only OS I know that I enjoy coding for, using and generally playing around with. Simple as that.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740956
Nothing to do with nostalgia for me.... AmigaOS is the only OS I know that I enjoy coding for, using and generally playing around with. Simple as that.

...and you never ask yourself why? Why AmigaOS is the only OS you enjoyed coding/using/playing around with?

C'mon, there are several other flavor of OSes out there, that you can do everything you did with an Amiga and much more....

Wouldn't you call that... nostalgia?

*PS* I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here, ok?
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:40 PM »
When I sit down at my PC it's to work, or to check Facebook.  When I sit down at my Amiga I want to create music, or paint pictures, or tinker with the configuration to eek out a little more performance... or occasionally to play some old game out of nostalgia.  It's a totally different feeling between the two.  :)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline spirantho

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »
Why? If you'd ever tried coding for Windows or Linux you'd understand :)
AmigaOS is fast, responsive, configurable and does what I tell it to in a nice understandable way that no other OS does for me.

Nostalgia doesn't enter into it.

(now my ZX81 on the other hand :) )
--
Ian Gledhill
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740959
Why? If you'd ever tried coding for Windows or Linux you'd understand :)
AmigaOS is fast, responsive, configurable and does what I tell it to in a nice understandable way that no other OS does for me.

As a matter of fact, I did. Even working in a management position nowadays, I have a significant coding experience ranging from Z80/8086 ASM (MSX/PC)/ to ObjectiveC with even some Mainframe Natural Adabas in the middle.

About being fast, responsive and configurable, have you ever tried Windows XP on a really fast machine? How about even Windows 8 on one of those extreme SSDs machines? I can tell you by own experience, boots faster than my 040 A1200.
And then, you can go as roots as you want, ranging from TASM, TCC, GCC, Visual C 6.0 or even the newer Visual Studio...

What get's my attention is the word you used "Understandable". And/or the word "me" at the end.

...again... Nostalgia? Because, I agree with your feelings, but, I suspect the cause is nostalgia.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:07:23 PM »
Yes, I've tried XP and Windows 8 - my machine at work runs 8 x64 on an SSD and it's very quick, actually. For the most part, it's the only machine I've used that rivals AmigaOS for responsiveness. And yes, I'd expect a 2013 PC running a 400MB/s SSD to outperform a 1992 Amiga 1200. :) I compare with my own Sam440ep and A1XE (I can't afford an X1000) particularly, although my CSPPC A4000 is still very impressive.

But none of that can change the coding. I've always hated Windows coding ever since the word "WM_PAINT" was first ingrained into my memory. The whole way Windows works is hideous, and whereas AmigaOS now contains Reaction (with which a capable GUI can be built very quickly), Microsoft prefer travesties like MFC and now the Metro interface (which to be fair I've not tried yet).

As usual, it's horses for courses, and we'll probably have to agree to disagree on the old "my OS is better than your OS". But one thing is certain, and I can answer your original question (and I'll make this as clearly as possible):

My choice of OS is nothing to do with nostalgia. It is just a preference.

Now the less succinct version :) :
I think there is a tendency sometimes for people to label things that are "old" as "nostalgic", when it's not correct. For instance:
I have a large record collection, and few CDs.  Is it nostalgia? No, I just prefer the warm analogue sound to the clinical, digital sound of a CD.
I listen to old music, mostly 60s and 70s. Nostalgia? No, I wasn't even born then. I just think it's more rewarding (give me some nice Rock, Prog, Jazz or something over modern music any day)
My favourite film is "The Producers" from 1967. Nostalgia? No, it's just an awesome film.
My wife spent most of the evening playing Sonic on the Megadrive. Nostalgia? No, it's just a very good game.
My favourite platform of choice is the Amiga. Nostalgia? No, it's just an awesome platform to use and develop on.
--
Ian Gledhill

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;740967
I think there is a tendency sometimes for people to label things that are "old" as "nostalgic", when it's not correct. For instance:
I have a large record collection, and few CDs.  Is it nostalgia? No, I just prefer the warm analogue sound to the clinical, digital sound of a CD.
I listen to old music, mostly 60s and 70s. Nostalgia? No, I wasn't even born then. I just think it's more rewarding (give me some nice Rock, Prog, Jazz or something over modern music any day)
My favourite film is "The Producers" from 1967. Nostalgia? No, it's just an awesome film.
My wife spent most of the evening playing Sonic on the Megadrive. Nostalgia? No, it's just a very good game.
My favourite platform of choice is the Amiga. Nostalgia? No, it's just an awesome platform to use and develop on.
Exactly. There's this notion that anybody who prefers older things can only be doing so out of irrational nostalgia, because...blind faith that new is always inherently better than old, I guess. Question society's blind devotion to Progress (and they always confuse mere motion with real progress,) and you're just some stupid romantic who must be afraid of change! Certainly it can't possibly be that you actually, honestly believe that a newer development is a step backwards or anything.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »
My reasons are a combination. I enjoy it more than my PC, there is also some nostalgia. I got back into because of nostalgia and now the other half calls it an addiction.

She can't understand why I keep hacking away at it when the Amiga keeps falling over, and I keep fixing it and modding it further. LOL.

I must admit I prefer records, I still have a turntable and a record collection but no stereo to connect it to anymore.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »
^^^  Russian proverb:  New is first enemy of old.  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline nicholas

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I wonder what the incidence rate of individuals who fall within the Autistic Spectrum are within the Amiga community (or even retro computing communities in general) is compared with society as a whole?

I'd be willing to wager it is pretty high.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 10:16:14 PM »
That's a great question hbarcellos, for me it is the original architecture of the Amiga system, be that the hardware (which is now totally redundant when compared to even the most basic machine- ie raspberry pi). But far more interesting is the Operating system, and I'm keen to know how the Amiga OS architecture works on modern hardware, for that reason I'm involved with the AROS project (and have been for nearly 15 years), which unlike the other "next gen" amiga OS projects, is AmigaOS 3.1 running on modern hardware, and I find that exciting.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;740976
I wonder what the incidence rate of individuals who fall within the Autistic Spectrum are within the Amiga community (or even retro computing communities in general) is compared with society as a whole?

I'd be willing to wager it is pretty high.
Based on what? The idiotic Hollywood stereotype that "autistic" = "Rain Man?" The tendencies of self-diagnosed 'spergies?