Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 32313 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #299 from previous page: May 28, 2011, 04:45:09 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;640775
You make it sound like not much has happened between 3.1-4.1 which must be a joke or you not knowing what you're talking about. Regarding the icons for AOS 4.1 upd 2 I think they are beautiful.

Either way, AROS needs to get "minor functionality" added and look better. Not that it's all that is needed, it just doesn't feal mature enough yet and behind both aos and mos.

I think we could cut that word 'minor' out of the paragraph. There are large gaps in AROS functionality. I like the project and think it has a great future, but as you've pointed out AOS4 and MOS are definitely more complete and polished.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Quote from: HotRod;640775
You make it sound like not much has happened between 3.1-4.1 which must be a joke or you not knowing what you're talking about. Regarding the icons for AOS 4.1 upd 2 I think they are beautiful.

Either way, AROS needs to get "minor functionality" added and look better. Not that it's all that is needed, it just doesn't feal mature enough yet and behind both aos and mos.

would like to hear about these groundbreaking features. usb2 anyone? firewire? overall fast accelerated 3d support? nice productivity package included? perhaps hardware compositing, skin system and windows shadows are worth to name?

beautiful icons, okay, they are acceptable if not much to my liking. and as i said, aros and glowicons are ugly too, no excuse, morphos would get a better overall note.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;640864
would like to hear about these groundbreaking features. usb2 anyone? firewire? overall fast accelerated 3d support? nice productivity package included? perhaps hardware compositing, skin system and windows shadows are worth to name?

beautiful icons, okay, they are acceptable if not much to my liking. and as i said, aros and glowicons are ugly too, no excuse, morphos would get a better overall note.

>morphos would get a better overall note

USB2-yes
Firewire-soon
Fast 3d support-yes (and soon to be improved)
Productivity package-Something ALL NG systems could use
hardware composting-I want GPU acceleration myself
Skin system-many skin types (although Windows has us all beat)

Overall MorphOS does come out (in comparison) with a best feature set, but its been around longer.
AOS4 is steadily improving
And AROS is usable (although it still has more than a few rough edges).

Overall, its pretty amazing that we have 3 NG OS, good emulation, and continuing support for legacy hardware. Actually damned amazing for a 'dead' system.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #302 on: May 28, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Overall, its pretty amazing that we have 3 NG OS, good emulation, and continuing support for legacy hardware. Actually damned amazing for a 'dead' system.
+1
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
« Reply #303 on: May 28, 2011, 07:05:04 PM »
(double post)
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;640849
I think we could cut that word 'minor' out of the paragraph. There are large gaps in AROS functionality. I like the project and think it has a great future, but as you've pointed out AOS4 and MOS are definitely more complete and polished.

Not that I disagree with this, I think we need to keep in mind that MOS and OS4 are both profit driven products while AROS is a community or hobby based OS.

You can't expect one camp to keep up with the other if the resources and foundation are based off of a totally different structure.:hammer:
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2011, 08:07:51 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;640901
Not that I disagree with this, I think we need to keep in mind that MOS and OS4 are both profit driven products while AROS is a community or hobby based OS.

You can't expect one camp to keep up with the other if the resources and foundation are based off of a totally different structure.:hammer:

Absolutely true. And while I was skeptical about AROS ever reaching what seemed to be pretty high goals, I'm not anymore.
AROS will soon reach V1.0. Icaros looks nice. I am impressed.
I expect this OS to continuously improve.