Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...  (Read 31584 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:58 AM »
I am wondering just which OS would prove better for the future of the Amiga instead of having to rely solely on the original Amiga roms and the original Amiga Workbench... (especially with things like the NatAmi coming up) :)

There are only 3 possible contenders that I can see but there may be more that I don't know about, these are AROS, MorphOS and OS4.X :)

AROS, While I understand a bit about AROS and what it's trying to achieve but have never had the opportunity to actually try it out myself. I personally think this would be the most obvious and best way for the Amiga to go in the long term but have to wonder will it ever be completed... :)

OS4.x, While I've had bad experiences of using version 4.0 of this but at least this seems to be continually developed and is closer to a real Workbench experience than from what I understand and have seen of the others, the only problem I have with OS4.x is that to me personally it seems to be a bit bloated for lack of a better term and wonder if it could ever be re-written to run say on just an 060 based Amiga or even PPC based Amiga without the need for a GFX/RTG card of some kind which would make it more available to a wider user base... :)

MorphOS, I've only ever experienced this on a very old version on a real Amiga with a PPC board. I have to say it was just awful and totally useless, from what I know of it now and have seen and read on various sites it's actually even worse now than the old version I tried and seems to me personally to be of little value or use in regard to having a new OS that at least give you that feeling that you're still using an Amiga. So for me I reckon MorphOS is best consigned to the dustbin... :)

There may be more that I haven't heard about but as I've only ever heard of these 3 then I just wonder which of these really would be the best way forward and why... :
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:20:37 PM by Franko »

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
Re: Which OS Would Be The Best Amiga Way Forward...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
Im not seeing much benefit in running the "next gen" stuff, but of the options, AROS is the only way.

Its open source, so it can't be taken away, and there's very little cost of investment.

It may be behind Morph or OS4 in some respects but it has room to grow. Morph seems cool but it has no place to go. (they could port it, but given how long and still no laptop support or even basic stuff like wireless, I kind of doubt they can pull that off)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 07:54:43 AM »
Loved MorphOS 0.4 on my BPPC quite lot even if it was little slow.

Btw you could have included OS3 option to the poll.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »
Its a tough one, I would like to say OS4, I am a OS4 fan and plan to get a OS4 machine this year, but I think that maybe it would be better to support Aros simple because if a company fails or some closed source parts can no longer be used then development can run to a halt, that problem doesn't effect Aros, plus its very nature means anyone can come along and design their view of how an ng AmigaOS should be and release it, its been ported to a number of devices and is hardware free so no one can say 86x VS PPC crap, its free so no complaints about price. Plus I dont like saying this but the key Aros users and supporter are more professional than both Hyperion and MorphOS team and very little do I see their thread debunked to moan about either OS4 or MorphOS, and this whole daft Red vs Blue stuff.  Plus I love the phase “No schedule 'n' and Rocking” this is why I am a OS4 and Aros supporter.

Offline Jope

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:19:28 AM »
Stick everything behind aros and just go go go.

Offline Damiga

• Show only replies by Damiga
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:46 AM »
I haven't used any of them, but my vote is on open source.

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:51 AM »
Quote from: itix;639052
Loved MorphOS 0.4 on my BPPC quite lot even if it was little slow.

Btw you could have included OS3 option to the poll.

As much as Im really only a fan of OS3.x, After all the hoo ha about copyrights etc.. it would seem OS3 will never get out of the legal minefield it's mired in so I left it out...:)

This is more about the upcoming things like the NatAmi or X1000 then leaving aside OS3.x due to all the legal stuff, out of the other choices for an OS which of these would be the best way forward for any type of future Amiga... :)

I myself voted for AROS as from what I can gather about it, the 68K version is really the most compatible for me in Amiga hardware terms, though the one question I really have about AROS is will it only exist as a sort of ROM image file or can it actually be burned to a physical ROM and plugged into say an A1200 for example if someone had the ability to create such a physical ROM... :)

I suppose if you really want to vote OS3.x you could choose other but for the reasons I've given above it doesn't seem to fit into this particular poll/question... :)

Offline antonvaltaz

• Show only replies by antonvaltaz
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:52 AM »
I'd say AROS as well. Does/will the 68k AROS need the AROS kickstart, or would it work with a Kick 3.1 ROM?

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
@antonvaltaz

It needs the AROS kickstart. On the other hand, AmigaOS3 now boots on the AROS kickstart. :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
@Franko

The main idea is that if you have a ROM burner then you can burn your own ROM with the AROS Kickstart image. Once you have that you should be able to install it into a real Amiga, and run all your old Amiga software (including your original Workbench ;) ) plus you get access to AROS only software as well. For old systems like the A500 with only a few Kb of RAM this might be the only real option :)

Sadly I don't have a ROM burner since I got rid of my PIC programmer... Personally I prefer to softkick the AROS rom so that I can use the latest build at all times :)

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
For classics and NATAMI, AROS68K... no brainer there...

for the NG-AMIGA, Syllable or Linux/BSD, as a base. I would have included QNX too, but they're now RIM's property.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
AROS, in the last few months it has really got going.
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
I voted AROS. I won't pay ridiculous money for 10 year old speed ppc hardware just to run amiga os4. Their closed model, and rape everyone left for every penny you can and give them as little power as possible "strategy" dosn't appeal to me.

They are killing themselves staying on ridiculous expensive slow ass old hardware. Don't mention X1000 to me because its not real yet, so what is the fastest amiga os4 machine you can buy now? 1ghz? I think I got a 1ghz computer in the year 2000. Come on man, really.

Aros runs beautifully on just about any pc. Add a sblive (20$) an intel network card (20$) and an fx550 nvidia card for 40$ and you've got a fantastic machine for very little investment. I also love knowing aros can never die, or be controlled by fucktards.

MORPHOS is my second choice. PPC Macs are priced reasonably for what you get. I just wish they finish support for g5 macs. If they did that I think I'd buy a g5 ppc mac and morph right away.

Steven

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
WB3.1. What can I say, I'm a contrarian.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
I voted other.  I would have said 4.0 but it is not compatable with classic machines.  Classic Amiga's are my main area of interest in the Amiga world.  I guess my vote goes to 3.9.