Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will there every be another computer like the amiga?  (Read 14679 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Will there every be another computer like the amiga?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 03:09:05 PM »
Quote from: dammy;546839
No they are not.  They are giving pretty much top possible PPC solution which will be about upper end netbook if the ARM dual cores come out at the same time.  Problem for A-EON, there isn't much further to go on the PPC road after this.  

Of course the high end netbook with dual core ARM is going to be far cheaper then the X1000.

Is AROS targeted to dual core ARM notebooks?  Heck you guys run on everything else, I say go for it (if you're not already).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;546840
Is AROS targeted to dual core ARM notebooks?  Heck you guys run on everything else, I say go for it (if you're not already).

ARM yes (Dr. Schulz is working on that project on a EFIKA-MX netbook), but AROS is stuck with the 3.1 API so I highly doubt you will see AROS ever being a full SMP OS on any system.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
"If that's your answer to every computer problem it's a wonder anyone keeps calling you. I can lock down a Windows machine in five minutes, spend five more minutes educating the user, and that's the end of it. That locked down machine will be just as usable to the customer as it was when I started, so no, it doesn't involve deleting their user account :P "

No I generally do fix their problems, but I always suggest linux because its rock solid, harder to break and no spyware/malware/adware problems most of the time...

Steven

Offline zombie10k

• Show only replies by zombie10k
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;546801
Yes I fear you may be right... Remember "Back in the day" when there were tons of computers to pick from, and everyone argued why their choice was superior?

Does anyone else miss that time when there were lots of different computers, using lots of different processors, operating systems and
enviorments? I sure do...

one of the problems with this time period that I can recall, is that the large number of different manufacturers / OS's put the user on their own island looking for support/parts for their system. We both lived in phila, and I can only remember 1 real company that provided Amiga products and support, softwarehut. There may have been a few shops where one could buy an A500 here and there. Mail order wasn't as popular as it is now, and most of the good stuff was over in the U.K.

Not to mention the insane prices due to smaller markets, and the time period / cost for upgrades was monumental at the time. Memory prices, accelerator prices, HD prices, etc. There is a reason why a number of amiga fanatics I knew at the time only had a base A500 or second hand A1000. I recall when a friend bought an A2000 with a small HD and a 2meg agnus upgrade, it was well over $2,000 in 1989.

with the worldwide acceptance of wintel, we benefit from huge economies of scale, super-fast hardware and afforable prices. memory and HD space are practically free by comparison to that time period.

If there were 10 different systems / OS's today, I don't think these benefits of inexpensive hardware would be here today.

If someone told me in the early Amiga days,  that my shuttle SFF computer with Win7 would be timeshifting 1080 HD video and sending it over a home network to a number of Xbox360's in crystal clear HD w/ 5.1 I would have thought it was something from outer space. Although I did get the pleasure of working with a toaster / flyer in 1995 and the Amiga was no doubt ahead of it's time. Maybe the Amiga could have been my 1080 processing machine if it lived.

with that said, I have a personal attachment to my amiga collection that isn't there with even my most powerful wintel boxes. maybe it's because it truely was an exciting time to be a computer geek.
2 A1000\\\'s, A500 + GVP A530, A1200HD + 68030 @ 50, A2000HD + GVP 030 @25, A600 HD. Looking for more!

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 04:36:29 PM »
Quote from: dammy;546845
ARM yes (Dr. Schulz is working on that project on a EFIKA-MX netbook), but AROS is stuck with the 3.1 API so I highly doubt you will see AROS ever being a full SMP OS on any system.

Can you sandbox your 3.1 dependencies and break away in that direction?

Offline B00tDisk

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;546848
"If that's your answer to every computer problem it's a wonder anyone keeps calling you. I can lock down a Windows machine in five minutes, spend five more minutes educating the user, and that's the end of it. That locked down machine will be just as usable to the customer as it was when I started, so no, it doesn't involve deleting their user account :P "

No I generally do fix their problems, but I always suggest linux because its rock solid, harder to break and no spyware/malware/adware problems most of the time...

Steven

Well hey, at least you said harder to break and not impossible to break. :)

Offline dammy

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;546856
Can you sandbox your 3.1 dependencies and break away in that direction?

That was mostly the solution for AnibusOS.  Not sure what should be the follow on to Anubis at this point in time since that project is mostly dead.  But when the main dev has more time, I'll pester him this Summer on what could be done in a reasonable time period.
Dammy

Offline haywirepcTopic starter

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »
I know there is a bounty for the first step in getting smp going on aros.

I think most devs want to get the system more bug fixes and get to total 3.1 api compatibility, THEN add smp and other features that would step away from the 3.1 set. Remember the goal was a free open source amiga os3.1 clone. Once that goal is reached, I'm sure they will advance and add more things not possible or envisioned in os3.1.

I think annubis was agreat idea and I hope they get somewhere with it.
I'd run it, especially if it could run linux and amiga os apps, and being based on linux would probably run many windows apps with wine.

Steven

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »
@ haywirepc

the X1000 looks promising and it's gonna be the first Amiga branded computer running AmigaOS natively in over 15 years !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:37 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;546863
@ haywirepc

the X1000 looks promising and it's gonna be the first Amiga branded computer running AmigaOS natively in over 15 years !

I want to see this in a proprietary case w/ a nice keyboard and mouse. Not a generic looking POS tower and chinsey $5 keyboard and mouse. There's a major tactile issue that's missing with modern computing. Today's input devices feel like they're going to break at any given moment. The Mac's were coming close, but then cheesed out with those stupid chicklet keyboards.  

The case should be as unique (while still functional and expandable) as the OS it's running. Just like Amiga -used- to be. So yeah, I'd be among the majority that feels there will never be a computer like it. Not even the X1000. Times are too different. We've all grown older and most of the hectic lifestyles, priorities and economics of today will never allow us to fully enjoy a new computer as the originals did all those years ago. That's not to say I wouldn't try. lol  Looking forward to this X1000 machine!

Offline dammy

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;546863
@ haywirepc

First, X1000 is not an Amiga, it's a AmigaOne.  Second, AmigaOne with Teron mobo, was prior to the X1000.  Third, it's basically the end of the line for PPC machines, I doubt there will be anything following this dual core G4 system, if any one will be able to afford it.  Fourth, as far as desktops go, the X1000 might be considered a midrange in today's market place at best.  At worst, it's going to preform at the $300 bargain basement level.  All in all,  I know what an Amiga looks like, and the X1000 ain't it.
Dammy

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »
Quote from: dammy;546866
First, X1000 is not an Amiga, it's a AmigaOne.  Second, AmigaOne with Teron mobo, was prior to the X1000.  Third, it's basically the end of the line for PPC machines, I doubt there will be anything following this dual core G4 system, if any one will be able to afford it.  Fourth, as far as desktops go, the X1000 might be considered a midrange in today's market place at best.  At worst, it's going to preform at the $300 bargain basement level.  All in all,  I know what an Amiga looks like, and the X1000 ain't it.

An amigaone is an amiga. It runs amiga software, it has "amiga" in the name,  and is made by the amiga's owners. So weird-program-xyz doesn't run, big whup. You can't "feel" the chipset being there. The bits of bakealite soldered to the motherboard are utterly irrelevant. For future reference, an aros pc, morphos machine, and an amilithon/dedicated winuae box are all functionally amigas. else macs are not macs, and pcs are not pcs. I can't run Microsoft basic software by booting my PC with no OS anymore, can't run dos programs either under windows 7 (can't even run windows 3.1 software under windows 7). Can't run macpaint from 1984 on a mac pro. Macs are still macs, pcs are still PCs. Logically, amigas are also amigas.

And what does an amiga look like?

This?

Or this?

Or even this? All are commodore designed a1200s.

Oh, and the x1000 isn't rocking a G4. It's a new processor.
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
So... all computers are amigas because with AROS, uae, amithlon or other all can run amiga software? my palm centro with palmuae is an amiga?
I think thats going a bit too far but hey have fun with it.

as for the thread:
will there ever be another car like the ford model T or '57 chevy?
will there ever be a music system like a phonograph?
there are kids that are nostalgic for the playstation 2.
there are adults that are nostalgic for an '95 honda goldwing.
it all depends on what you mean. i think there are computers like the amiga. my aros powered multighz, multigb machine has a very modern yet very amiga feel to it.
to each his own.
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline dammy

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 06:59:37 PM »
Quote from: Hell Labs;546868
An amigaone is an amiga.

Accept it can't be called an Amiga, Hyperion only has "AmigaOne" name.

It runs amiga software, it has "amiga" in the name,  and is made by the amiga's owners.

So was the Teron mobo that Eyetech dished out.  I didn't call that an "Amiga" either.  Technically, none of them can be called an "Amiga" as that is the sole property of AI.

So weird-program-xyz doesn't run, big whup. You can't "feel" the chipset being there. The bits of bakealite soldered to the motherboard are utterly irrelevant. For future reference, an aros pc, morphos machine, and an amilithon/dedicated winuae box are all functionally amigas. else macs are not macs, and pcs are not pcs. I can't run Microsoft basic software by booting my PC with no OS anymore, can't run dos programs either under windows 7 (can't even run windows 3.1 software under windows 7). Can't run macpaint from 1984 on a mac pro. Macs are still macs, pcs are still PCs. Logically, amigas are also amigas.

For most folks, an "Amiga" was a 68K with a custom chipset.  That was pretty special back then.

Oh, and the x1000 isn't rocking a G4. It's a new processor.

It's a dual G4 SOC.  For $2000 USD, I'm not too impressed TBH.
Dammy

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 07:32:58 PM »
@save 2600

I've been told (my copy hasnt arrived yet), based on interviews in Amiga Future magazine by A-Eon, the X1000 will be shipped with AmigaOne branded case, keyboard and mouse :-)

@ Dammy

..sadly it sounds like you already made up your mind :-( ...I run OS4.1 with Update 1 natively on my Samflex and I am very happy with it..it's by far the best AmigaOS system that I have ever owned and I assume people will be saying the same about the X1000 :-)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:36:39 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 09, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
A different point of view.  The original post got me feeling all philosophical. Grin

Why?

Why do we need this validation?  I'm OK with the rest of the world desiring a different computer solution  than what I value.  (Keeps the bugs out!)

Most of the ppl who log in here have many Amigas, enough to last beyond the next time/date bug.  Our 1990s investment has also been updated with standards and technology that were unforseen when the machines were designed.  They're still fantastic and the rest of the world is fickle, grin.  Improvements, especially important ones, are still coming.  

Also, most ppl here have other platforms for standards that are inconvenient on Amigas.

There are ppl who say (justifiably) that Amiga is dead.  All my machines have a bright future.  They have already lived far past many other younger machines.  I'm not too far from content.

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:05:20 PM by Tenacious »