Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE and hardfiles  (Read 1688 times)

Description:

Offline CassTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cass
WinUAE and hardfiles
« on: April 29, 2004, 02:09:10 PM »
OK, this was a try to make a backup of my HD. The CD-recorder is on th PeeCee side, so I run MakeCD with WinUAE.

The procedure:
I already have an old backup CD, that I want to add the newer files to it, BUT MakeCD won't write the contents of an already existing drawer over an older one. So I have to copy the contents of the CD in a new hardfile, and add the newer ones over, and then burn the volume to a new CD.

The problems:
During the copy procedure, the file copy was frozen many times (after 50-100 files copied), while the WB was active (that is not crashed). I tried to change the max-transfer rate of the CD (using the FAQ for installing WB3.9 to WinUAE), changing various UAE configs (trying to achieve best compatibility), and finally starting with 3.1 and 3.9 (with and without "SKIPRROMMODULES scsi.device"), but the file copy was freezing the same after some files being copied.

After many hours of copying & reseting the emulator, I finaly finished the CD transfer to the hardfile, thinking that the CD bug thingie will stop bothering me, and I tried to extract the .lha of my newer files (I've made an lha to preserve the file attributes that are lost if copied via samba to a PC volume)  over that volume/hardfile. Guess what: the lha stopped/freezed while extracting the archive!!!! That's were I thought that it had something to do with the hardfile...

Is there any known issue with the emulator, or something that I've overlooked?

________
Mercedes-benz 240d
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:23:53 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline Thomas

Re: WinUAE and hardfiles
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 02:38:01 PM »
Well, cannot help with the hardfile thing, but why don't you put the CD into the CD-ROM drive, the CD-R into the CD-writer and connect the HDD to the IDE bus and then write the CD-R with MakeCD without copying anything to hardfiles ?

Have you tried using harddisk directories instead of hardfiles ? Amiga file properties are stored there either as long as the _UAEFSDB.____ files don't get corrupted (has become much more stable in the latest WinUAE releases).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Acill

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 02:38:16 PM »
Well hardfiles are a bad way to use UAE. Why dont you just make a Dir on the PC and use that instead? You use it as if it was a partition on the drive. That way all you need to do is copy the dir to a CD and your done.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline CassTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 03:10:10 PM »

connect the HDD to the IDE bus and then write the CD-R with MakeCD without copying anything to hardfiles ?

I have a 20 Kg monitor on top of my A4000, and isn't the best thing to do moving the HD from the Amiga to PC and backwards.

Have you tried using harddisk directories instead of hardfiles ? Amiga file properties are stored there either as long as the _UAEFSDB.____ files don't get corrupted (has become much more stable in the latest WinUAE releases).

I didn't know about the file properties preservation (_UAEFSDB.___), using the PC drawers!

Thanks Thomas :pint:, I'll try this out the next time (will save me lots of hours spent on copying!!!).

P.S. It's a couple of days now that I'm struggling with my printer (I've dismantled it, and found no apparent problem), so I'm really slack...
________
IPAD GUIDE
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:24:07 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline popboy

• Show only replies by popboy
    • http://www.twitter.com/lemoncello
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:17:53 AM »

The problems:
During the copy procedure, the file copy was frozen many times (after 50-100 files copied), while the WB was active (that is not crashed). I tried to change the max-transfer rate of the CD (using the FAQ for installing WB3.9 to WinUAE), changing various UAE configs (trying to achieve best compatibility), and finally starting with 3.1 and 3.9 (with and without "SKIPRROMMODULES scsi.device"), but the file copy was freezing the same after some files being copied.

I appeared to have the same issue to when I first started using WinUAE, but it seemed to disappear after I added about 1000 buffers to each hardfile I had, and then copying to and from hardfile and CDROM worked fine!
A1200 & Z4 tower. Blizzard 1260 & 128Mb RAM.
CV64/3D graphics card, Repulse sound card, 4xEIDE\'99 interface, 160Gb HD, DVDRW, 3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA LAN card.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 01:42:48 AM »
MakeCD freezing issues

Fix:

- download latest version of MakeCD and add "MAKECD_ATAPI" and "MAKECD_NO_DCR" to MakeCD's icon tooltypes
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================