Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Heretic II , Problem!  (Read 4672 times)

Description:

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
Re: Heretic II , Problem!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 12:35:43 PM »
Oh no! I was going to buy 2 128meg simms and Heretic 2 soon. Should i reconsider my plans?! I currently have 128meg ram.
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

Offline lempkeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2003, 02:18:57 PM »
cu_amiga:buy more ram , but heretic2 save games will not work... its the only issue i have had so far and i have tested it all...
anyway its just a save game , you can save new ones while u play when you have 256mb in it.
i played about 2 hours into the game again and thoose saves works just fine.

i have emailed hyperion about it again today.

anyway you get this error when u upgrade from 64 -> 128 also... , just checked + also if you change from 040 ppc to 060 ppc ..

so its definitly a bug.

cheers
Whats up with all the hate!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2003, 07:53:25 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
Why not just play the game on its native platform, the PC.  The PC version of Heretic II is a much better version then the Amiga version.  Play PC games on a PC and play Amiga games on an Amiga.     :roll:

Shows you how much you knowm eh? How would you have a clue how PPC/Warp3D games play when you own an ECS 2000 HD? :roflmao:

As for it being PC native, soon you will be telling us that Doom itself was developed directly on MSDOS based PC's and not the NeXT system (and then ported to MSDOS using  Watcom DOS 4GW kernel).

Similarly Quake 1 was not actually designed on PC, neither was Quake 2 upon which the Heretic 2 engine is built. The Quake 2 engine was heavily adapted for windows, but its core was always cross platform.

Take a look at the engine source for any of these engines if you dont believe me :-P
int p; // A

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2003, 08:01:08 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
Why not just play the game on its native platform, the PC.  The PC version of Heretic II is a much better version then the Amiga version.  Play PC games on a PC and play Amiga games on an Amiga.     :roll:

So if I want to play Soul Calibur 2... How do I know its native platform? They do run the same..... Oh well...

PC version being better.... Erm. I could have sworn most games back then were alot better then PC version at its time. Sure PCs now run the games fast, but MIDI sound over the PAULA? Naw, Amiga owned.

For your Amiga 2000. I dont think its ever going to be as good as my Commodore 64. C64 is total ownage.  Has alot more funner games  :-D.

I am 17 now and know that A2000 had ancient crap in it that I would never want. Just keep your opinions about stuff to yourself.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline DoomMaster

• Show only replies by DoomMaster
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2003, 09:27:44 PM »
To kd7ota:

You sound like you just turned 17 too!  I have been working with computers since the very first personal computer- the Apple back in 1977.  I have been playing video games since the very first video game- PONG back in the 70s.  I now help design modern video games.  I DO know what I am talking about.  YOU would be wise to listen to what I have to say, ok 17 year old ?!     :destroy:
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2003, 09:34:53 PM »

DoomMaster wrote:
To kd7ota:

You sound like you just turned 17 too!  I have been working with computers since the very first personal computer- the Apple back in 1977.  I have been playing video games since the very first video game- PONG back in the 70s.  I now help design modern video games.  I DO know what I am talking about.  YOU would be wise to listen to what I have to say, ok 17 year old ?!     :destroy:

Hah! Dont care howl long you been working with computers.  I had Apple computers in school, so I know what they are.  I own an Atari 2600, so I know what pong is.  No I am sure you dont know what your talking about since you say your Professional A2000 computer is the best. I think my old 133mhz 486 is more powerful in CPU calculations. If I listened to you, then I might as well be listening to a post.

OK Doom master?! :destroy.:
-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2003, 09:37:52 PM »
@everyone else

Don't worry.  Just kinda annoying when you have someone claim their superiority.  I know my share of computers, but I never go blabbing about how awsome I am at them. Everyone knows their fair amount on computers, and thats great, we all learn new stuff everyday.

But if you have someone who keeps blabbing about how they been around since day 1 at things, then the only thing to do is to get what they need to be quiet.

So does anyone know where to download Heretic II game for PC to try it out, and so that I can find an OpenGL version of it.
-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2003, 09:38:38 PM »
@doommeastro:

Bwahahahahaahah :roflmao: :lol:
So that's how you teach computerscience in the schools with A2k's? :-D :lol:

Oh and what games have you helped design btw?

-edit-
FECK! I fell for his bait again  :-x.

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2003, 09:41:40 PM »
@odin

AHAHAH, yea, I was thinking that, but never posted it.  Why in the heck do you show an Amiga 2000 to kids. More then likely, they will be asking for the internet and they would keep bugging you about why they cant check their hotmail or even play their flash games. ;)
-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline DoomMaster

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2003, 11:06:42 PM »
To kd7ota:

I am sure you dont know what your talking about since you say your Professional A2000 computer is the best.

I never said that the Amiga 2000 computer was the best.  What I said was that the Amiga 2000 Series is the highest quality, best made of all the Amiga models, and this is a fact.  It is not my opinion.  I also stated that the Amiga 2000 is the Flagship Amiga computer because of its durability and expandability, and this is a fact.  It is not my opinion.  The Amiga 3000, 4000, and 1200 computers are more powerful then the Amiga 2000 Series, but they are low quality, poorly designed machines.  Whenever I need to use a fast, powerful computer, I always use my Pentium 4 PC Clone that I custom built.  It blows the doors off all Amiga computers for speed, power and performance!  I only use my Amiga 2000 Series computers for playing my over 1000 vintage Amiga games, viewing and listening to Amiga Demos, and for drawing the graphics that are used in modern PC games.  I prefer the Amiga paint programs to the PCs.  Face reality, in todays modern world the PC kicks any Amiga's arse!     :-P
[color=FF0033]1 Amiga 2500 / 040, 2 Amiga 2000HDs, Atari Mega4 ST, Pentium 4 PC, Macintosh SE[/color]

Offline DoomMaster

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2003, 11:16:39 PM »
To kd7ota:

Why in the heck do you show an Amiga 2000 to kids. More then likely, they will be asking for the internet and they would keep bugging you about why they cant check their hotmail or even play their flash games.

I show the Amiga 2000 to the kids because it is the highest quality, best made Amiga and because it is the Flagship Amiga computer.  All of the Amiga 2000HD computers at the school ARE on the internet and are running at peak performance.  The kids just love these computers and tell me that they are much better then their mom and dad's PC computers at home.     :-D

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2003, 12:05:59 AM »
doomy: oh ok .. WOW ...NOT! .. i use 1 amiga and no pc etc...and guess what..i dont have a need for a pc even!! do u know why??

BECAUSE ITS NOT A TOY! .

bye to u mr.2000 troll

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2003, 12:15:34 AM »
Guys, just ignore him.

lempkee, did you try removing the extra RAM to see? I know it's really obvious but I don't think you mentioned trying it anywhere. I mean just to check it still works without it, so you know nothing else weird went wrong you didn't know about.

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2003, 12:28:30 AM »
hitchcock: (punk guy :D) no i didnt , because i did this.

last game i played before switching to 256 ..was heretic2 , 5 mins later i added the mem and it didnt work (save games) .

so i reinstalled the game to make sure + installed updates....still same..

the sim's are definitly working under 60ns 256 since heretic2 is the only prob..and that prob is only with save games (old).

all other #### is ok.

old simm's was 60ns also... , i might try it to make sure but hey that doesnt help me at all, as i am not going back :D

still waiting for answer from hyperion about this.

cheers and thanx for interests in helping me out.

pps:doomy go and post somewhere else.

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2003, 12:30:11 AM »
(Trying vehemently to ignore Mr. Trollmaster...)

The "Funny" thing is that there shouldn't be any connection between Heretic II's save games and memory.  It just replaces the function pointers with numbers (based on a table) and dumps that to a file. On load, it replaces the numbers by function pointer again (based on the same table), so there should be absolutely no connection to available memory...

Bottom line is I don't have any idea why the game would crash with more memory - you'd normally assume the opposite.

I'm sorry I cannot help you there. It's exceedingly annoying to have the game crash on the last level (I have played the whole game, so I know how hard it was especially in the last few levels). I normally would say it is coincidence, but since the same thing happened before it can't really be unrelated. but like I said I wouldn't know any reason how this could happen.

I'll scan the source code again for clues, but I'm afraid that is all I can do.

Best regards,
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 13, 2003, 12:32:28 AM »
old simm's was 60ns also... , i might try it to make sure but hey that doesnt help me at all, as i am not going back :D

Speaking of 60ns, did you try setting them to 70ns? Are the SIMM's different size/models?
Look out, I\'ve got a gun