Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: why can't windows 7 access network shares?  (Read 1861 times)

Description:

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« on: August 31, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
I have a mini-ITX Pentium M computer running Windows 2000 on my LAN. I can access its harddisk over the network by typing this (followed by the password):

NET USE H: \\PENM\DDRIVE /USER:argh

It works on my other PCs running win2k, xp, 98, even 3.11 for heaven's sake! It does not work under Windows 7. Yay progress! Can anyone explain?

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: why can't windows 7 access network shares?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:20:24 AM »
Windows Vista and Windows 7 needs different network settings. I think you need to switch to guest user. If I remember I'll post again.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 04:49:52 AM »
Vista and 7 doesn't use network in the same way as XP and below, nor is the command line the exact same.  You will need to "downgrade" 7 to use NTLMv1. To change Windows to use NTLMv1 perform the following:
Start > Run > secpol.msc
Local Policies > Security Options > Network Security LAN Manager authenticatioin level
Select Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated
Let me know if there is any thing else.

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »
Quote from: DamageX;576856
I have a mini-ITX Pentium M computer running Windows 2000 on my LAN. I can access its harddisk over the network by typing this (followed by the password):

NET USE H: \\PENM\DDRIVE /USER:argh

It works on my other PCs running win2k, xp, 98, even 3.11 for heaven's sake! It does not work under Windows 7. Yay progress! Can anyone explain?

You will soon discover that lots of stuff which earlier worked better or was logical has turned out to be working worse or less logical.

Lets start with the taskbar.. my programs are mixed in no order while in XP I had quicklaunch on the left and running programs on the right. Lets continue with Show Desktop.. it has been on left among other quicklaunch-icons for years and years.. whose bright idea was to change it to lower right corner. As for networks.. you can not browse anymore at remote desktop connection window. While we're at it.. filetype associations... it used to be under Tools/Folder options.. I have no idea why it was moved to start-menu. Having a button on folder windows, maybe next to  "New folder" would have been much better place.

And the list goes on...

Some people say you just have to accept changes when OS's are upgraded.. I understand all that, but why change something that has proven to work and has already become a "standard" in Windows world.

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:33 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;576873
Start > Run > secpol.msc

This doesn't work on win7 Home Premium. But, after searching on NTLM and secpol.msc I was able to find the answer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

(WTF? forum software is inserting an erroneous space between the "o" and "l")

create a new DWORD value LmCompatibilityLevel and set it to 1

Now I can access my files, thanks for your help
Some people say you just have to accept changes when OS's are upgraded.. I understand all that, but why change something that has proven to work and has already become a "standard" in Windows world.

The biggest problem is probably that they are trying to gain market share among clueless newbs. Folks that are already familiar with the tried and true ways are a "given" because they are invested in MS products. So there is little to lose by making arbitrary changes for the sake of flashiness. Aside from that, I wonder if most of the developers are in a young age group, and hence they haven't gotten tired yet of seeing the wheel be reinvented over and over. My two cents...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:47:04 AM by DamageX »

Offline amigakid

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »
Actually it was a rewrite of the OS Kernal that started in Vista.  Windows 7 is totally different from XP and below.  XP was very nice, but still running off of a OS structure that was  10+ yrs old.  Windows 7 is a built up from 3.1 type OS and as such will be different from the earlier versions.  Windows 7 is actually very nice, expecially in comparison to Vista.  The changes are harder for old timers like us who have used XP and below for so long, and used to the old interface.  Windows 7 also utalizes Hardware a lot better than XP or Vista and there are a lot more features within 7 that go well beyond just the basic users knowledge.  Don't get me wrong XP was prob one of MS best OSes and is still one of the most popular, but it is dated and 10 yrs old.  You can only ride on that architecture for so long before you have to start over again.

@damagemax - Thanks not used to working on Home editions, but guess I should have asked first :)

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;576887
Actually it was a rewrite of the OS Kernal that started in Vista.  Windows 7 is totally different from XP and below.  XP was very nice, but still running off of a OS structure that was  10+ yrs old.  Windows 7 is a built up from 3.1 type OS and as such will be different from the earlier versions.  Windows 7 is actually very nice, expecially in comparison to Vista.  The changes are harder for old timers like us who have used XP and below for so long, and used to the old interface.  Windows 7 also utalizes Hardware a lot better than XP or Vista and there are a lot more features within 7 that go well beyond just the basic users knowledge.  Don't get me wrong XP was prob one of MS best OSes and is still one of the most popular, but it is dated and 10 yrs old.  You can only ride on that architecture for so long before you have to start over again.

I agree fully, I am not _that_ disappointed in Win7 as my text maybe indicates.. some areas are way better than in XP, most which are under the hood like better hardware-support, win 7 is more efficient and more stable too. I find it amazing I was not given a chance to choose how I want my taskbar to work, or where I want to have my show desktop-icon.

Some things should, and must change.. but minor things like the ones I mentioned were a bit hard to swallow when I first started using Win7. Of course by now I know how things work but in the beginning it was pretty frustrating :)

Offline amigakid

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
Yes it is frustrating for someone who is so used to how XP was then they goto Windows 7, it took me a while, but as I was a beta tester I had a year of using it prior to it being available to the general public.  It was like when office 07 came out and those so used to 2003 had a hard time with the tab system instead of the drop downs.  I didnt like it at first, but as I used it more and got more efficient with it I see how it actually works better, but thats just my opinion and of course there are a few things I changed in 7 to match XP like my file and folder displays and control panel ect cause I was much more used to it that way and could navigate faster that way.  Well have fun:)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:22:47 AM »
Microsoft asked users what they would like from a new version of Windows and they (the users) said "we would like it to be simpler". Microsoft then took this as meaning "give us a shedload of managers to do even the simplest tasks". DOH! Amiga is simpler in the way the files are arranged, libraries in "libs" not splattered all over the hard drive for example. This is most likely what those users meant by simpler but that's MS for yah. It's also one of the reasons to use an Amiga.

As far as networking is concerned, I think the MS attitude to that is one of "Upgrade all your PC's to Windows 7 and everything will work out fine".
Falling into a dark and red rage.