Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Loosing faith in the Amiga "community", like so many before me  (Read 21037 times)

Description:

Offline MikeBTopic starter

• Show only replies by MikeB
Re: Loosing faith in the Amiga "community", like so many before me
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2002, 09:49:33 AM »
> You *CANNOT* go around purporting that you an
> unbiased journalist with a finger in every pie

I am not a Journalist, never have been, I am a Physical Therapist who also happens to be an AmigaOS fan. (Sometimes I like to code, but in general I think it is dead boring!) At OSNews.com everyone knows this.

> "they stole Amiga intellectual property and at least
> two of their team members are dicks"

Although I haven't said that anywhere, it isn't that far from the truth as how I perceive this personally (Due to factors totally unrelated to Amiga Inc). I hope you guys can sleep at night, maybe that's a reason for the behaviour of certain MorphOS "Team" members.

> But you can't go around writing articles as if you're
> unbiased when you hold *grudges* against those
> parties.

There was no grudge when I wrote that article. I was requesting information from certain involved people, but did not get any information with regard to the issue you are so hung up on (access to AmigaOS source code), regardless of several requests.

> Every time you appear online you accuse bPlan,
> Thendic or MorphOS of theft!

Point me to *one* good  instance where I did!

> It was relevant to your understanding of the
> product and company in question

It did not have any relevance. Thendic-France wanted to have a biased Journalist to their advantage, nothing more and nothing less.

> Do you realise that most of the articles you have
> created contain legitimate cases of libel against
> companies?

Point these articles to me then.
Was it my AmigaOS XL review?, Closer look at new Amiga Systems? or maybe my WinUAE tutorial?

Personally I can point to *thousands* of your postings containing real FUD and misinformation! Hypocrite!

> Since your days on the Team AMIGA mailing list

BTW, never been on the Team AMIGA mailing list before.

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2002, 09:53:17 AM »
your certinly quite biased on ann.

Offline DaveP

• Show only replies by DaveP
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2002, 09:56:34 AM »
mips,

whats your handle on ANN then?
Hate figure. :lol:

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2002, 10:18:21 AM »
I dont post on ann...only read... i've posted maybe 2 times there in the last year...and one of them was for a vote..
from what i've read this guy is biased...i mean heck i think right now the second one down on ann.lu is a posting of that guy who made an FAQ just read what he wrote in response to it... trying to make the guy change it to reflect his own personal views...it's like the whole point of the FAQ (wich was well done) was to be balanced and not take sides..

Offline DaveP

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2002, 10:21:01 AM »
"Thendic-France wanted to have a biased Journalist to their advantage, nothing more and nothing less."

I wouldn't put it past them. Given that they have set a precendence perhaps you could take a few beers and post all the correspondance on here.

Offline Rodney

• Show only replies by Rodney
    • http://donthaveone.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2002, 10:26:01 AM »
While i have enjoyed Mikes articles and whot not on OSNews before, i must say, when i found out he did a MorphOS article, i had my doubts. My doubts were confirmed when reading it.

I admit, i'd consider MorphOS an alternative to AmigaOS, ill get OS4 a try before MorphOS, and i guess Mike would feel the same. But he shouldnt let this been known when writing articles.

Sorry mike, but i couldnt help notice how biased you were in the MorphOS article. It seemed to focus largly on the negative aspects, whilst your AmigaOS articles focus largly on the positive.

Maybe you found more negative with MorphOS then with AmigaOS, and maybe thats why you prefer AmigaOS. I dont know. But the article, wasnt the best i've seen you do, wasnt the most indepth, and in my opinion, was a little biased.

Mike, i'd sad too see you go because i have enjoyed your enthusiasm and articles around the net for along time now. You truly are the defener of AmigaOS faith.
We are not Humans having a spirital experiance
We are Spirits having a Human experiance.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2002, 10:30:03 AM »

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2002, 11:01:38 AM »
Are we talking about the same article here?

A Closer Look at MorphOS on the PEGASOS

Actually I did not do a more in depth article, simply because I did not want to slaughter the efforts of the MorphOS team. During the demonstration the demonstrators must have rebooted the system for over 20 times, this because of crashes or system lock-ups.

I just took Sharwin's word for it, that this was due to a recent software update. I did not focuss much on this fact at all!

I noticed that there is even a growing bias against me, I am actually glad to leave this "community", what a total waste of energy the community has become.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2002, 11:04:35 AM »
"even a growing bias against me"

Careful you might get paranoid.

Who is biased against you?

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2002, 11:16:50 AM »
Then the personal threats coming from inside the MorphOS team, and when presenting them to the management of bPlan, Thendic, Ralph, does not result in *any* kind of response!

It would be interesting to hear more about those threats, for your own safety, so that you aren't accused of spreading lies...

On the other hand, what you see as "threats" might have not been intended as such by the other party. It would be good, for everyone, to know more about this isue, at this point.

Don't raise accusations and then hide, go up to the end. In other words, be more clear.

Fabio Alemagna

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2002, 11:46:57 AM »
@DaveP im biased against him..for no reason other then i feel like bieng biased today...maybe tomorrow i wont be...but for today (the remaining 35 minutes until i go to bed) im biased :P ....the reason im so fickle is that im a jerk..can i get a 'biased against mips' vote if someone will cast it?...come on...out with your bias everyone...it's healthy...dont get an ulcer thinking bad about someone and keeping it inside.

and about the so called 'threats' if thats not true thats a pretty shameful thing to spread...if it is true thats pretty shameful that someone threatened you...but i do agree you should come 'out with it' so to speak...

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2002, 12:59:46 PM »
I have no problems with making all my email exchanges with Thendic-France publicly available. But the other party must agree with this as well, as I don't want to lower myself to the level, as for example, like where one of Fleecy's emails was presented publicly without his approval.

With regard to the article I notified Bill and Raquel, as soon as the article went public (as requested). No response followed, but instead after a while Matt "Neko" Sealey was appointed by the core MorphOS development team, as being their spokesman towards me. And he accused me of stating that the MorphOS team has "stolen source tapes" and if I wouldn't change my article bPlan and Thendic can  "kick your ass about it" and that I am "in line for legal action".

Several of my requests for confirmation from bPlan, Thendic-France and Ralph Schmidt resulted in absolutely no reply (While prior Thendic was far too eager to send multiple FUD emails with regard to other companies). This combined with the uncalled for FUD and misinforming emails by Thendic-France, with regard to other Amiga companies made me angry and dissappointed with the current state of the Amiga "community".

Maybe, I have overreacted by leaving everyone behind, as there are still some good people left, as I can see from the emails I am receiving, but that's just the way I feel now about the "community".

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2002, 01:04:54 PM »

MikeB wrote:
> You *CANNOT* go around purporting that you an
> unbiased journalist with a finger in every pie

I am not a Journalist, never have been

You write articles for publication, this is what we call "journalism". That you are an amateur is plain to see, but it does not make you less of one. As someone writing articles about Amiga and related subjects, YOU ARE A JOURNALIST.

I am a Physical Therapist who also happens to be an AmigaOS fan.

.. evidently to the detriment of your opinion of any potential competitors or supplements to AmigaOS..  

> "they stole Amiga intellectual property and at least
> two of their team members are dicks"

Although I haven't said that anywhere

You didn't say it in so many words, no. But we all know you have something against Ralph Schmidt, and myself, and your article on OSNews and *all* of your posts to ANN and MooBunny show a great bias towards AmigaOS 4.x and related projects as compared to MorphOS, including your statements of FACT about legal issues which are as far from fact as cow pats are from chocolate cookies.
[/quote]

> But you can't go around writing articles as if you're
> unbiased when you hold *grudges* against those
> parties.

There was no grudge when I wrote that article.

Not against Ralph, not against myself? Liar liar, pants on fire..

I was requesting information from certain involved people, but did not get any information with regard to the issue you are so hung up on (access to AmigaOS source code), regardless of several requests.

So you DIDN'T receive that document. In which case what the HELL did you receive that was FUD? It's absolutely incredible evidence of your bias, is this :)

> Every time you appear online you accuse bPlan,
> Thendic or MorphOS of theft!

Point me to *one* good  instance where I did!

I could spend days going through ANN and MooBunny picking out your posts where you present as unshakable fact that MorphOS is based on stolen AmigaOS 3.1 source code. But the biggest one I can point out is this: who needs to search?

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1897

""So, no agreement could be reached and the legal status of the OS has been in doubt within the Amiga community ever since (because the development team has had access to AmigaOS source code). ""

Since I mailed you with friendly advice and a possibly better way of phrasing that sentence, you have done nothing but refuse to admit that that line is a VERY VERY stupid thing to say. Recently you added the word "allegedly" but it was not because you believed it. You refused to change the line because, and I quote:

""Neither Thendic nor bPlan are denying it""

This is not good reason not to change it, you two-faced STUBBORN son-of-a-bitch.

It did not have any relevance. Thendic-France wanted to have a biased Journalist to their advantage, nothing more and nothing less.

Thendic France wanted a journalist that wouldn't go around making his day by ####-talking their products and subjecting them to legal difficulties every day.

Everyone else manages to do what they want just fine. Why do you have to be different?

> Do you realise that most of the articles you have
> created contain legitimate cases of libel against
> companies?

Point these articles to me then.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=1897

That one. I can point to *thousands* of ANN and MooBunny posts where you confirm your silly little opinion and place it out there as the gospel truth. You seem to want to accept that the MorphOS team have disks full of AmigaOS 3.1 source code laying around and are working by simple recompiles of it. This could not be further from the truth, and if you like, you can ask AROS just how much of their work we are using (and then putting back, too.. you would not believe how buggy the AROS components are)

Personally I can point to *thousands* of your postings containing real FUD and misinformation! Hypocrite!

I am not a hypocrite because I do not claim to be unbiased. I go around slagging AmigaOS 4.x and Hyperion off because I have good reason to: they can do no right in my eyes, and by simple reading of their news announcements (and a few newsgroup chats with the Friedens over certain projects) it seems they are doing everything possible to turn AmigaOS 4.x into a crock of ####.

I think MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.x are created equal, but it's the subsequent development that makes the difference - whether either turns into a crock of #### is entirely dependant on the teams working on it, and the methods they use.

I think people need to wake up and smell the incompetance here on the side of AmigaOS 4.x.

You, however, say you are unbiased and want to see both succeed, yet can't wait for a chance to write a negative comment about MorphOS, bPlan, Thendic, it's team members, employees.... by nature, biased.

> Since your days on the Team AMIGA mailing list

BTW, never been on the Team AMIGA mailing list before.

You were on some kind of list, and pasted it to the bottom of your mails quite a lot. It wasn't the AmigaRing crap. I'm certain it was Team AMIGA or something, or maybe you just said you were a "member of the Amiga team, blah blah blind fanboy rant sig". I don't recall.. I'll have to find an old mail you sent.

Change that line to "Ever since the early days" and my point still stands, s-o-b.

Offline DaveP

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2002, 01:06:35 PM »
"And he accused me of stating that the MorphOS team has "stolen source tapes" and if I wouldn't change this bPlan and Thendic can "kick your ass about it" and that I am "in line for legal action"."

Well that kind of invective has come from Matt before so it does sound like him. I dont recall reading anywhere your article " MorphOS team has "stolen source tapes" "

"Several of my requests for confirmation from bPlan, Thendic-France and Ralph Schmidt resulted in absolutely no reply (While prior Thendic was far too eager to send multiple FUD emails with regard to other companies)."

Not a surprise either.

"This combined with the uncalled for FUD and misinforming emails from Thendic-France, with regard to other Amiga companies made me angry and dissappointed with the current state of the Amiga "community"."

Well you are angry at one part of it. I mean Thendic-France does not represent the Amiga community any more than Neko - they represent their own interests.

"Maybe, I have overreacted by leaving everyone behind, "

I agree I think you have. It sounds like, if your version is to believed that you are playing exactly into the hands of those that have pissed you off so.

"as there are still some good people left, as I can see from the emails I am receiving, but that's just the way I feel now about the "community"."

Forget the "community" it doesnt exist and never has done - its just a bunch of computing users with something quite small in common.

Offline falemagn

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2002, 01:43:24 PM »
have no problems with making all my email exchanges with Thendic-France publicly available. But the other party must agree with this as well, as I don't want to lower myself to the level, as for example, like where one of Fleecy's emails was presented publicly without his approval.

Then don't mention those "threats". You can't accuse people of threatening you and then don't prove it. If you are not ready to prove your accusations, don't accuse.

Now you can do just two things: either you prove that they threatened you, or you take your accusation back.

Fabio Alemagna

Offline falemagn

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 13, 2002, 01:51:29 PM »
(you would not believe how buggy the AROS components are)

Well, bugs get fixed when they are found, and using the AROS components as drop-in replacements for the AmigaOS' ones is a good test bench to find them.

However, regardless of the amount of bugs you found in them (btw, how many exactly you found? Be more precise), I believe the AROS modules have been of great help for you. Without AROS now there would be no such thing as MorphOS either, or am I wrong on this?

Sure, sooner or later even MorphOS would have had its amiga-like components, but not so soon, and much later.

Fabio Alemagna