Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you think about this Civ-Clone (WiP)?  (Read 2456 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: What do you think about this Civ-Clone (WiP)?
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 07, 2003, 10:39:54 PM »
dude, sell it! if its good enough, dont just give it away for free!
and make sure you release it for amigaone/aos4

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2003, 11:33:57 PM »
@Helgis:

The graphics sure are gorgeous, that's for sure. But... Okay, I know I'm going to be skinned, filetted, quartered, and get a host of other unpleasant things done to my beloved body for saying this. There's more to a Civ-game than just good graphics. Are you aware of FreeCiv? You might want to check out their engine for inspiration.

Unless you and your team members are way ahead of me, in which case I will hurriedly shut my mouth and continue lurking :-)
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Dagon

• Show only replies by Dagon
    • http://www.amigasympan.gr/depa
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2003, 09:04:11 AM »
Cool :-) I really, really like strategy games. Just don`t make the mistake to put a high price. Make it affordable to everyone and you`ll see that you will have more sales. And this is addressed to all developers not  just you :-)

Online gaming if it is possible, would be very nice.
As for the fog of war it could be an option and could be disactivated when the players are accordant.
\\"So we must exercise ourselves in the things which bring happiness, since, if that be present, we have everything, and, if that be absent, all our actions are directed towards attaining it\\" - Epicurus

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2003, 02:26:36 PM »
Cymric wrote:
@Helgis:

Is my face [color=FF0000]red[/color]! Of course I meant 'Micha1701'---but since you and Helgis share the same avatar... Oops :-o! My apologies for the mixup.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2003, 03:39:45 PM »
Dude, I'll help!
dude, sell it!

What is wrong with giving away stuff which is related to a project you are _not_ involved with? :))
It might actually be quite an incentive to do just that, unless you are hungry.
(Piracy is done by people who PUSH that idea on others, depriving them of that choice)

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2003, 03:44:50 PM »
How about MorphOS port? :)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline iamaboringperson

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2003, 10:30:48 PM »
What is wrong with giving away stuff which is related to a project you are _not_ involved with? :))

?
not sure what you mean...
but its good to sell software, and make money from it!
if you can do it, why not?

Offline iamaboringperson

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2003, 10:32:26 PM »

itix wrote:
How about MorphOS port? :)

YES!
AmigaOS 4.0 & morphos!!!!

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2003, 01:11:40 AM »

Micha1701 wrote:

I´m just working on a Civ Clone game project for our beloved AMIGA.

That's good news! Not too many new Amiga strategy games sees the daylight theese days.
Civilization, by Sid Meier the King, is one of the greatest strategy games ever made. I have the AGA version, and I've played it for hundreds of hours, perhaps even more. The Emperor level is hard... I think the Prince level is the most fun to play.

What do you think about the screenshots? Any suggestions?

Your game seems very interesting, the screenshots is good! The graphics leads my thoughts towards Colonization, another Masterpiece by Sid Meier.
I hope it will support PPC? -Perhaps make an option where people with slower Amigas (like 040-25) can turn off some of the details, and still support them with a boosted system?
And it'll be great if it can be played both on internet and in a local network.

Dammit, this is just too exciting! Do you have more screenshots?

Want to work with us?

I did some programming in the 1980's but it was BASIC and LOGO, not very useful for games I guess... Btw I've forgotten how it works. The only way I possibly could be to any help is with ideas and suggestions as an experienced Civ-gamer, if needed.

The screenshots are all in german, but there is an english version, too. The tiles are beeing reworked and not all finished...

Keep up the good work!
Seems like you've got a buyer here!

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2003, 01:43:40 AM »

Kay wrote:

Pay attention to the level micro-management. Most strategy games of this type are awesome in the beginning, but later on when you've got 10 cities and 20 settlers needing new orders every turn, it gets tiresome. Automatization is one possible remedy. A city/base production queue (like in Alpha Centauri) is another.

Exactly! This kind of games are usually to be played throughout several days, too much micro-management make you go tired earlier. The difficult task for the game-developers is to find the balance. But in some games, Col for instance, are more on the level micro-management than Civ. But it still works better than perfect.

Another thing is to make sure diplomacy is sophisiticated enough to allow the actions players are likely to want to do. For example, it should be possible to demand that someone you have a treaty or truce with withdraw from your territory at ANY time, even if they are ignoring all other calls from you (again, like in SMAC).

Again I fully agree with you, Kay!