Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Floppy read disks but fail to format at cyl 0  (Read 441 times)

Description:

Offline superfrog76Topic starter

• Show only replies by superfrog76
Floppy read disks but fail to format at cyl 0
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:41:48 AM »
I did purchase this floppy drive some time ago from Amigakit; the drive works fine in reading; since I was able to install workbench 3.1 without problem on my hd, but when trying to format a disk; any disk, it fail giving an error on cyl 0.

I did try more than one floppy, and I get the same result so I can exclude that the floppy is defective.

I did try to cover the second hole on the disk, and to take off the tape that I have on it, and same issue happens. I thought the write protection sensor pin is stuck, but I don't get write protection errors, it just fail as soon as it try to write on the floppy.

I even tried to delete or copy files on the workbench disk, and it fail. Alhough if I create a folder in the workbench disk, I see the drawer created correctly.

Do I have a broken floppy? Or there is some magic to do on 3rd party floppy drives (this is the floppy with the plastic mask on it; to be used internally; I believe is a Teac, but I need to check), to enable writing on it?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:45:51 AM by superfrog76 »

Offline robo-ant

• Show only replies by robo-ant
Re: Floppy read disks but fail to format at cyl 0
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:58:15 PM »
@superfrog76

I used to have the problem when trying to format HD diskettes on a DD drive.  Is that what you`re doing?  The problem was that the DD drive wasn't strong enough to overcome the formatting already on the disk (FAT16?).  I worked around it by bulk erasing the disks before putting them in the Amiga.

It's better to use DD floppies if you can find them.

Also, some of the old viruses caused what you're describing, too.  Is there any chance your Amiga is infected?

Offline vince_6

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:06:02 PM »
Try booting an X-Copy disk and format it from there without running Workbench.
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline Acill

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »
Quote from: vince_6;809356
Try booting an X-Copy disk and format it from there without running Workbench.

This is an excellent bit of advice. I use X-copy to format as well.
Proud Retired Navy Chief!

A4000T - CSPPC - Mediator
Powerbook G4 15", 17"
Powermac G5 2GHZ
AmigaOne X5000
Need Amiga recap or other services in the US? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com and take a look or on facebook at http://facebook.com/acillclassics

Offline vince_6

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 04:39:37 PM »
Quote from: Acill;809357

Just to see if WB files conflict with the floppy due virus, devices like crossdos :-/
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »
Quote from: Acill;809357

Hey Chief,

What time did you X-nay from the Na hey, if you know what I mean, I x-nayed from the Na-hay in 93, right after desert storm at Alameda Naval Air Station, with a true Real Navy Squadron, not one of those wanna be reservist.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »
Track 0 disk failure, usually means that the disk is bad, I have had a lot of those lately, as a matter of fact a lot of disks even when new have had that failure. Best thing to do is try another disk, hopefully from another batch of disks.
but
If it is a new drive, then it could be a misaligned drive, that is missing track 0, in this case you will need a pro to align the drive with a program that runs the drive through a software align program as he adjusts it. Pretty tough process.

smerf

If I answered this question to your liking give me a yay, if not give me a nay, but don't ever give me a hey, hey, hey.
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better