Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which classic Amiga games do you want to see remade on the A1  (Read 6506 times)

Description:

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt
Which classic Amiga games do you want to see remade on the A1
« on: December 13, 2002, 07:32:25 AM »
Some of the more impressive games I've ever seen on Amiga were from the venerable Cinemaware contributions. Games like It came from the Desert and Defender of the Crown[/i] were truly amazing games for their time and unfortunately gamelplay like that hasn't been recaptured in the games of today. Much to the detriment of the gaming industry. But thankfully this ol skool Game developer is back.

Its good to see some older companies like Interplay and Maxis(responsible for the terrific Battle Chess series and the recent Fallout games, and who can forget the Sim City series still going strong today). Personally, I would love to see them make another title like Battle Chess but with exceptional gfx rendered on the A1. If I'm not mistaken Interplay made the classic Marble Madness title, an upto date rendition of this masterpeice would be in order too, for A1. And with the potential gfx capabilities of today, I'm sure they could make a spectacular effort.

Can anyone remember California Games' offering of the Street Rod series[/i]. If anyone knows anything about these two titles, It's that nothing in recent times has come close to equal the sheer scope of this ambitious little title of yesteryear. Car management at its best and racing for pinks was a marvel to behold. There is a site dedicated by diehard Street Rod fans. Some of you might be interested in knowing that they intend on resurrecting the series by coding a 3rd installment, with the contributions of the scene of course. It wouldn't be such a bad idea if Hyperion of Amiga Inc, threw a little doe their way to help the cause and get a higher quality product done for the A1 platform. Mind you it would be a worthwhile venture, especially when done right with the guidance of bigger players like Amiga Inc or Hyperion.

Armed with new renditions of It came from the Desert, Defender of the Crown[/b], Street Rod III, and Marble Madness 2, or Battle Chess 3,[/i][/url] how can AmigaOne go wrong?!

Other games that spring to mind that really set the standard for me were  Shadow of the Beast, Superfrog, Alienbreed, Turrican and Syndicate I can see Superfrog being redone ala Mario Bros for GameCube or perhaps the Zool series as well. Shadow of the Beast on the other hand was done by Psygnosis (a now semi-defunct company, responsible for the immortal Lemmings series). These could be the compelling titles to add value to a new A1 games catalogue.

Alienbreed by Team 17 (who brought you Worms) was another classic for me. This could be continued and brought forward as the first true FPS under the new AmigaOne banner. And who could forget the Turrican series, Amiga's own Metroid Prime, perhaps? These are the games that Amiga users will identify with. They are like the timeless icons that represent what Amiga gaming was to Amigans, not unlike Mario Bros is to Nintendo, or Grand Turismo for Sony Playstation. And may I say that gaming icons for Amigans are just as important, as they instil a sense that the Amiga platform isn't a dead has been gaming platform.

I can also see Syndicate, as AmigaOne's answer for GTA3. If anyone thinks back carefully to the premise behind Syndicate, it was about a worldwide organisation of Secret mechanical agents interacting with a futuristic city in isometric view. This could be reworked as a 3D title, ala GTA3, with the same futuristic setting, and car interaction as with the first two installments in the series.

Hopefully these don't remain pipe dreams, in a well intentioned, yet nostalgic Amigan! I await your thoughts and pipe dreams fellow Amigans.  :-D I know there has to be some bright ideas[/url] for new unique Amiga-ish games from you lot, We need to remain distinguishable from the rest if we are to offer something unique to the market  :-D I would hate to see the new Amiga, as a dumping ground for old ported past PC hits!  :-(  We need our thunder back, and we need to look at our gaming roots to accomplish this! We must reclaim our gaming soveignty as Amigans!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Ayashoka

• Show only replies by Ayashoka
Re: Which classic Amiga games do you want to see remade on the A1
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 08:01:35 AM »
Seeing all those titles sure brings back good memories of old times... [sigh]

But since we live in the present:
You will need some of the big running titles ported, even if it was just to provide people with up-to-date games or titles that are in the news.

Next would be recruiting some of the former softwarehouses-Team 17, etc.
But then again the best games are often the ones that pop up from nowhere and suprise you.

Focus at gameplay/story/fun - more than often it's visuals these days. Visuals OK-but 100% eye candy??

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 08:11:36 AM »
Focus at gameplay/story/fun - more than often it's visuals these days. Visuals OK-but 100% eye candy??

Yeah, but boy would I love to have modern eye-candy (and framerates and steering control) on a StuntCar racer.  Throw in some Internet play, and I'd be hooked in an instant.

I LOVED Street Rods, and thanks for the link to SR3, though it looks like it's quite rough at the moment, for sure!

Offline Desolator

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 08:48:35 AM »
After the miserable failure with Syndicate Wars, I'd like to see a new version of the original one...

and Hired Guns! The sequel got ditched. :\
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline JurassicCamper

• Show only replies by JurassicCamper
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 08:54:13 AM »
I'd love to see Warp 3D versions of:-

BMX Simulator
Super Skidmarks
Extreme Racing
Outrun
A1200T PPC 330Mhz in a Custom Modified Fractal Design R3 Case

Offline lionstorm

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 09:05:37 AM »
Sensible soccer and final whistle, dynablaster, and a multiplayer version of cannon fodder, a remake of formula one grand prix or stunt car, both multiplayers.
LionStorm

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 09:09:13 AM »
Stuntcar Racer for sure!  Plus
Populous enhanced for the net
Nuclear War - add Bush, Sadam, Clinton and a host of others
Lord Of The Rising Sun with more realtime action
Battle Chess with more armies
Alien Breed
Chaos Engine

But to name a few

My daughter says Rainbow Island
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 09:26:19 AM »
;-) A networked version of Worms would be nice...

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 09:48:01 AM »
This is very good! A lot of great ideas floating around here! And you know what? I believe that the Amiga CAN regain it's gameing supremacy within a few years. Not by means of having 50 man teams and billion-dollar budgets, but by originality. My favorites so far is Alien Breed, It Came From The Desert and Syndicate. These games offered so much in terms of fun and gameplay, and there are no new games quite like them. Another couple of ideas:
Supercars 2 - Where the hell did the top-down racers go? These games were awesome, and SC2 was a brilliant example of one. Still fun, still able to impress people who hasn't seen it before.
Pirates! - Because Pirates! still is one of the best games in excistence. There have been attempts at similar games, but none so far has managed to capture the original's gameplay.

I think it is time we got off our butts. I think there are quite a few of us who has something to contribute. I'll start designing, and hopefully I'll be able to produce something worthwhile. In time I'll probably need at least three more people (a coder, a graphics artist, and a musician) to make it reality, but at least I'll have a start.

Kay

Offline Wilse

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 10:11:13 AM »
What about Cannon Fodder, Settlers and Sensible Soccer?
Then there's Worms, Flashback, Wing Commander and Beneath A Steel Sky.
I'm getting seriously nostalgic now.
 :-)
I have to agree with the shouts for a new version of Stunt Car Racer though. That game was class.

@Kay:
>  In time I'll probably need at least three more
>  people (a coder, a graphics artist, and a musician)

Gimme a shout when you need a musician. ;-)

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 11:14:09 AM »
The one I would love to see is Liberation (aka Captive 2). I had soooo much fun with that game! Would be great to see it re-made with full accelerated 3d graphics!

Maybe the Eye of the Beholder series, again in 3D?

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2002, 11:15:11 AM »
@Wilse

Now Wingcommander would be cool! Get the whole series back onto the Amiga ;-)

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 11:25:48 AM »
A network version of Worms would rock!

This is bringing about a nastalgic feeling, so much so that this weekend is going to be full of classic gaming.  Fun fun fun...

A few more for the list: Axe of Rage, Wings, 1942 and Ghosts and Goblins. :-D
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 11:29:53 AM »

:-D
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2002, 11:51:15 AM »
An improved version of MARBLE MADNESS would