Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 16253 times)

Description:

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
Yes... all the efforts on this stupid topics of coffe house, congratulations (i never enter to this "threads"), this is a semi-dead amiga forum with lack of tutorials, DIY, important users go away from here...

Visit a.org and after eab or a1k (in german :()... by example and the feeling is totally different.
a1200 060

Offline nicholas

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
Quote from: kickstart;750217
Yes... all the efforts on this stupid topics of coffe house, congratulations (i never enter to this "threads"), this is a semi-dead amiga forum with lack of tutorials, DIY, important users go away from here...

Visit a.org and after eab or a1k (in german :()... by example and the feeling is totally different.

The only site I use Chrome for Android to browse is A1K because it auto-translates the site for me. Automated Deutsch to English is not so bad really but I'm not sure how well it would translate to Suomi. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;750219
The only site I use Chrome for Android to browse is A1K because it auto-translates the site for me. Automated Deutsch to English is not so bad really but I'm not sure how well it would translate to Suomi. ;)

Seconded, great function, but Chrome crashes on me with almost the same regularity as Safari.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:01 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;750220
Seconded, great function, but Chrome crashes on me with almost the same regularity as Safari.

The Android brain of Chrome is very nice and very stable too but I'm addicted to Firefox addons so use it as my main browser on Android, OSX and Linux.

I'd even use it on MorphOS if I could even though Odyssey is an amazing browser.  Not that the Wonder Twins will ever release the source to their OS4 port for anyone else to port to MOS/AROS/68k.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2013, 12:31:15 AM »
What is wrong with this site tonight?

Whenever I try to edit a post when I click save I get an error box that looks like a 3.1 console window and the error code is "shrug".

The word brain in my last post should be "version" but auto complete on CM10.1's swipe keyboard is crap!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:52 AM »
Quote from: Fats;750197
I am using the 'New Posts' feature which shows the last posts from when someone has last viewed a.org and CH posts show up there.
I won't miss CH if it is gone, I'm not demanding it to be gone either.

And I still don't understand why you keep posting new posts where nobody reacts to.

greets,
Staf.

I use the "50 Latest Posts" link and it doesn't show any CH posts. Thought you might find it useful too.

http://www.amiga.org/index.php?pageid=50latest

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2013, 03:36:18 AM »
Man I thought today I'll return to check out whats happening on A.org and now I see this post..

What did CommodoreJohn do that was so bad ?

In other news looks like a.com has found a home on the BB online store :(
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:41:34 AM by darkage »

Offline zipper

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;750219

Well, mostly humorous. With my rusty German best to stay in German language yet. Some difficult words may be translated that otherwise should be picked from a translating source. And funny attempts to translate the user names. With no German skills probably half of the translated texts are somehow intelligible.

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
Banning someone! How about the first amendment?

Personally, I believe those who sit behind a screen, block others and then make a post about it do so because they either get a thrill out of it or lack any control within their personal lives. What they really need to do is a seek some professional advice instead of wasting their time on here.
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Quote from: Megamig;750258
Banning someone! How about the first amendment?

1st Amendment applies to the government and not to private entities such as amiga.org.

Personally, I believe those who sit behind a screen, block others and then make a post about it do so because they either get a thrill out of it or lack any control within their personal lives. What they really need to do is a seek some professional advice instead of wasting their time on here.

CJ deserved being banned many times over the years, IMO.  It finally caught up to him and he got 7 day ban, big deal.  Now I do think creating a news item/thread over it was not the way to handle it, but that's AO's management's call.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2013, 02:44:56 PM »
Quote from: dammy;750260
1st Amendment applies to the government and not to private entities such as amiga.org.

Thank you.  I am tired of the distortion of the First Amendment from people who cannot be bothered to :rtfm:, let alone understand the difference between a "freedom" and a "right."

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
What is the difference between a freedom and a right? Maybe you could explain this to us non-Americans (i hope it makes more sense than trying to justify gun culture).
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;750277
What is the difference between a freedom and a right? Maybe you could explain this to us non-Americans (i hope it makes more sense than trying to justify gun culture).

In the simplest sense, a "right" is something which is guaranteed by our Creator as an inherent component of our existence: to wit, life.  A "freedom," on a similar token, is something like an act which we are innately capable of performing, but which may have limitations based upon cultural perspective or other governance.  Both may also be self-limited.

In regards to speech, we accept that everyone has ideas and thoughts and is free to conjure them, while at the same time we also understand there are appropriate venues for expression.  For instance, in most cultures there are certain topics of conversation which are deemed inappropriate for children, topics which we do not discuss at the dinner table, or things we may say around our friends but not around customers.  The concern is not about offending someone, but more about the decorum of the position or situation.  No matter the concern, you may be chastised for exercising speech in inappropriate situations, though rarely would (or should) you be criminally punished for doing so.

The Supreme Court of the United States has also gone so far as to address speech which may be dangerous to public safety (shouting "fire" in a crowded theater) or instances of security as such speech may be the cause of injury or fatality to others.

It's hierarchical, as well.  You have the right to worship under religion, and the freedom to choose which religion to follow; or not in both regards.  As a consumer you have the right to purchase toilet paper, and the freedom to choose the brand, two-ply, rough or soft.

Both are naturally limited when it comes to the violation of others' rights or freedoms.  In terms of living, I have the right to life but not the right to live by denying you your right to life.  I have the freedom to choose how to live my life, but it is frowned upon to do so at the imposition of the freedoms of others.

Some rights are not just rights, but duties as well.  For democratic societies the right to vote is also a responsibility for the society cannot exist without the exercise of this right.  Even so, one may, and often does, exercise the freedom not to participate.

This is just simple and really only touches the surface.  There are much deeper arguments which go beyond a simple explanation and some on which I simply am not qualified to pontificate -- many which we face today, some for time immemorial.  Governance is a huge issue when it comes to rights and freedoms as government's natural tendency is toward tyranny, which is the loss of both.  We can also exist in a quasi-tyrannical state called a soft-tyranny in which we willfully cease or otherwise surrender our rights and freedoms because of the perception of imposed consequences.

I hope that I've been fairly articulate here.  You mentioned "gun culture," which has derogatory connotation.  Gun ownership is essentially a freedom we have to choose how we supplement our lives provided we do not impose upon others.  We concluded at our Founding that our right to life included the freedom not to have a sundry, or necessary, implement of our lives taken from us provided it was not used to harass or harm others.

We also concluded that, in the peaceful exercise of our freedoms, we had the right to be free from harassment thereof.  In direct regard to gun ownership: we concluded based upon history that people's right to life included the responsibility to defend themselves against tyrannical society or governance, and that arming themselves was part and parcel to this responsibility and therefore, as a component of our right to life, a right in and of itself.

(As well, I truly hope my explanation does justice to these immensely important constructs. In doing so, I often feel like I am trying to define the devine.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:34:53 AM by LoadWB »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
We've been fighting for a bill of rights to be incorporated into our (Australian) Constitution.  It isn't going to come under the Abbott regime though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:19 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;750263
Thank you.  I am tired of the distortion of the First Amendment from people who cannot be bothered to :rtfm:, let alone understand the difference between a "freedom" and a "right."

Here's where things get a little knotted: It is the right to free speech as provided by the Bill of Rights component of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.

So is it both a right and a freedom? It's not like the Freedom of Information Act because Freedom of Speech was never enacted and is therefore not a judicial matter, where binding Terms and Conditions for use of a service are.

Or maybe free is used as a verb? So citizens of the United States have the right to free speech, if say speech were being held captive?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:52:45 AM by agami »
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #89 from previous page: October 17, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »
Quote from: persia;750286
We've been fighting for a bill of rights to be incorporated into our (Australian) Constitution.  It isn't going to come under the Abbott regime though.

We don't need a Bill of Rights to recognise the inalienable rights available to all residents of the Commonwealth of Australia. The legislative house already operates with those principles.

One problem is; the second you right these things down is the very second people start picking at them.

Another problem is; humans are inherently corrupt, and whether you swear it as an MP or have it written down as a Magna Carta, people will continuously find ways to step around these things.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1