Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga port of the first Castlvania - WTH?  (Read 1384 times)

Description:

Offline TakeShadTopic starter

• Show only replies by TakeShad
Amiga port of the first Castlvania - WTH?
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »
It's obvious that converting console games to computers is a hard and often failed process but some ports are so damn bad that it makes you wanna punch the hardware they are running on. Castlevania for Amiga is just one of them.

I can't believe that someone made such a bad conversion of the magnificent, worldwide-acclaimed, inspirational game that the first Castlevania for NES is. Playing this on Amiga is a torture. The port tries to be close to the original but it fails at doing so because the graphics are totally off. They are ugly, not in the style of the original and it just shows that people that made the port were not getting the feel of Castlevania.

The controls suck too. They are so unresponsive that one finds throwing Amiga out of the window very tempting.

The music tries to be just like the original and Amiga sound capabilities are helping but even this is somehow off because there are strange, unneeded changes to the score.

This port succeeded in only thing - making the original even more enjoyable because there's so much fun in getting your NES out and playing the true Castlevania after having been tortured by the Amiga version.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
Re: Amiga port of the first Castlvania - WTH?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
You could aslo play the original NES game on your amiga. There are several not too bad NES emulators for Classics. :)
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:01:43 PM »
Yes but what's the point...?

Also, I was talking about the value of the port itself and I remember that people couldn't play NES games on their Amigas in 1990.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
There have been several terrible ports put on the Amiga. But you can't blame the system, so please please DON'T throw it out the window!!!

And if the Castlvania port gets you that hot, do not get Wing Commander...:laughing:
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Quote from: TakeShad;581720
Yes but what's the point...?

Who needs a port when you can play the real thing? :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:51:17 PM by Xanxi »
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
I won't throw it away, for many reasons but just the fact that the Amiga version of Monkey Island has the best sound (IMHO) is enough.

But yeah, this port is really lame and boy, I was shocked by it. I thought such a classic game would be converted better... It was rather butchered than converted, to be honest.