Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A first for OS4?  (Read 5752 times)

Description:

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
Re: A first for OS4?
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 03, 2010, 06:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;582754
I thought reggae was more for streaming (sound/video) datatypes than static content?

Reggae uses the same concept of static image as WebP ;-). Static image is just a video with a single frame inside. In fact it supports more than 10 image formats, while video framework is still not finished... Lack of free time sucks :-/.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Quote from: Fab;582767
WebP is small fry... OWB for MorphOS supports WebM since about 3 months. :)

/me runs

"You're terrible Muriel..."

Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Quote from: Piru;582651
Another jpeg2000 I'm afraid. I've never had any use for the jpeg2000 datatype for instance.

There was a hefty licensing fee for the software that creates JPEG2000 images.  That's why that format never caught on.

Is there a licensing fee for WebP?  I don't think so.  The only problem with WebP that I've heard about is that it takes longer to compress than a JPEG.  Having had the same problem with compressing PNGs on a Classic Amiga, I doubt that will be a huge problem as long as the download speed is accelerated by the improved compression.

Offline warpdesign

• Show only replies by warpdesign
    • http://www.warpdesign.fr
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »

we have mp3, flac and wave

Is sound limited to full loading as well (IIRC you can't have progressive image loading using DT) ? If it's the case, such large sound data format datatype is quite useless... Who would wait 10-15 sec before his mp3 sound is loaded ? Btw, eating a whole 40Mb ;)

Datatype was a good idea, but its concept needs to be extended for today's usage. I guess that's what Reaggae does (in addition to adding filters stuff and a lot more...).

As for webP, I had a quick look at their comparison page, and though I could have the same results by compressing PNG looseless files just a little more than they did. Then the quality is about the same, and even better...

Btw, one nice feature (at that time at least) was progressive loading: does webP support something like this ?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:50:03 PM by warpdesign »