Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1200 HD in PC...Help me get this straight.  (Read 1087 times)

Description:

Offline elwappoTopic starter

• Show only replies by elwappo
    • http://www.reculver1.com
Amiga 1200 HD in PC...Help me get this straight.
« on: October 31, 2005, 05:24:32 PM »
Hi guys.  Im new to the forum...hold it...dont go shouting Noob at me just yet.

Ive been reading some of the other threads and I just want to clarify what I've learnt with an expert before I start on my project.  

I moved over to Pc's about 7 years ago but still have my trusty A1200 'moth balled' and ready for the day when I can finally move my precious classic data from its internal IDE 20mb HD onto my windows system, where I can use WinUAE to emulate my old system.

Perhaps that day has come.  From reading the threads it seems that its possible for me to take the HD out of my amiga and plug it into my PC's IDE bus and simply either A: Make a hard disk image of all the data or B: Just copy each partition from the Amigas HD into folders on my pc, where winUAE can run Workbench and my other utils just as if I had my A1200 plugged in again.  

Can it really be that simple??? Have I got the right idea.  

Any comments would be very helpful.  To be honest I had to force myself to make a post rather than taking a screw driver to my A1200 straight away.  Im very excited about this.

Thanks

EW

Offline Thomas

Re: Amiga 1200 HD in PC...Help me get this straight.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:34:10 PM »

Can it really be that simple???

Yes  :-D

Any comments would be very helpful.

You need WinXP, 2000 or Vista. Don't try it on Win95, 98 or ME !

If Windows asks you if it should handle the drive, refuse it. Only WinUAE may handle it.

Do not get the idea that you might have to create Windows or DOS partitions on the drive. Once you did this, your Amiga data is lost.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline mgerics

• Show only replies by mgerics
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »
Yes, listen to Thomas. He's correct.

It's really that easy!

Offline elwappoTopic starter

• Show only replies by elwappo
    • http://www.reculver1.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:46:18 PM »
Wicked,all done.  I cant belive it was that easy.  Ive been wanting to back up all my old Amiga data for years.  Now not only is it backed up.  I can actually run it all.  Amazing.  Reminds me why I loved the Amiga in the first place...Tower assualt anyone?

Now all I need to do is find a Gravity Power and Putty and Im on my way.  

Thanks for your help guys.

EW