Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 4 Player adapter Hired Guns  (Read 1534 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28Topic starter

4 Player adapter Hired Guns
« on: March 10, 2004, 10:47:58 PM »

Hey, I have a 4-Player adaptor for the Amiga that plugs into the parrallel port and gives you 2 extra joystick ports................problem is that the second port of that adaptor, does not seem to support a fire button..........I tried it with many 4 player games and it only allows me to move..........I tried: Hired Guns, Mine Runner, Zerberk, DynaBlaster.........they all would not fire with the second joystick port of the 4-Player adaptor..................anyone got any ideas?  also it does not seem to support Sega pads with 2 buttons or CD32 joypads?.............I hear Worm Wars does though.

Help?
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: 4 Player adapter Hired Guns
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 11:05:45 PM »
Did you solder it yourself?

I think OR the parallel port is broken, OR the four player adaptor OR you are using a partially compatible joystick.

try it both with different joysticks, and preferably a joystick from Atari (since it's their standard)

If it's still not working, try to use another 4 player adaptor (for instance, solder one yourself, it isn't hard at all)

If it's all not working, that particular pin of the parallel port is broken

It happens... :-( I've had something alike before.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 12:24:15 AM »
Oh boy.I hope its not my Parallel port.because I have tried it on 2 different Amigas.and still the same problem...This is an original adaptor..........I didn't make it..it looks quite fine and doesn't seem to be damaged............also I have tried it with multiple joysticks.one from a C=64, another from a Sega Genesis (6 button) and the CD32 pad............all allowed me to move in all directions but none allowed me to press fire.

Do you know if it is ok to plug and unplug joysticks to it (4-Player adaptor) while the computer is on?

Offline Minuous

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 04:53:44 AM »
Yes, Worm Wars should support it, although it has not been tested, I would appreciate feedback re. how you go with that...

And in answer to the question, no, devices are not supposed to be plugged/unplugged from PAR: whilst there is power to the machine.

Offline Minuous

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 04:54:34 AM »
Yes, Worm Wars should support it, although it has not been tested, I would appreciate feedback re. how you go with that...

And in answer to the question, no, devices are not supposed to be plugged/unplugged from PAR: whilst there is power to the machine.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 02:12:51 PM »
You know, the Sega gamepad is quite different to standard Atari joysticks. Wouldn't use it with it.

But I think the 4 player adapter is broken. It definately seems that one particular thread (or pin) intended for that fire button is broken.

Or maybe you should clean the connector to remove rust, on both sides of the adapter. (It can help, seriously)

Dynablaster specifically supports this adapter so it SHOULD work fine.

Or I would make one myself if I were you

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »
I would love to make one myself but I dont dare do it........................but anyway, my 4-Player adaptor is really clean and new.there seems to be nothing wrong............if anything its probably my parallel port............Im gonna have to try it on a different machine to make sure.............although I have tried it on 2 already...........I hope its not my parrallel. Idid try regular Amiag joysticks but nothing.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 06:14:50 PM »
I *think* there are two different versions of the four player adaptor, one that came (IIRC) with Gauntlet 2 and one that works with pretty much every other game.

I once had a version of Gauntlet 2 in which player 3 could only move, not shoot (my current (WHDLoad) version works fine though). Another game that didn't recognise the fire button of player 3 was "Wiraz" (a very poor polish racing game). The (homemade) adaptor works with *all* other games I have.

Here's a list of all games supporting the adaptor

Do you know to which game your adaptor belongs? Maybe you got the version that only works with Gauntlet 2 and Wiraz (or was it *V*iraz?).

Or your adaptor is broken. Try to open it (if possible) and have a look. It should be easy to spot if a cable got off a pin.

Do you know if it is ok to plug and unplug joysticks to it (4-Player adaptor) while the computer is on?

It may damage your computer, though it's not *that* likely.

[/quote]
also it does not seem to support Sega pads with 2 buttons or CD32 joypads?
[/quote]
It only supports one joystick button. It should work fine with CD32 pads (never had one, but one button on the CD32 pad must be electrically identical toa standard fire button).

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 06:28:13 PM »
@cgutjahr

Thanks! I knew I had heard something about this before, about there being 2 different versions or something.

Well I just tested the adaptor on yet another computer and it definitely is the adaptor that does not work.  So maybe this is the Gauntlet2 version?

This one cannot be opened. It is a one piece black rubber type thingy. I guess I will have to buy another or make one (gulp!)

By the way..........I think Hired Guns supports the Sega 2 button or 3 button pads because it gives you an option in the game to select joypads................hmmmm oh wait...........nevermind.........thats only for the Amiga's 2 joystick ports...........it wont allow you that option for the 4-Player adaptor. But I have heard of hacks online that let you use them.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 07:47:16 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:

Thanks! I knew I had heard something about this before, about there being 2 different versions or something.

Well I just tested the adaptor on yet another computer and it definitely is the adaptor that does not work.  So maybe this is the Gauntlet2 version?

Maybe. Would be cool if you could test this, because I'd like to integrate that information on my homepage.

Please write me an e-mail if you're willing to help, tia.

This one cannot be opened. It is a one piece black rubber type thingy. I guess I will have to buy another or make one (gulp!)

Seems so. Even if it is not broken, it's not very useful... :-(

By the way..........I think Hired Guns supports the Sega 2 button or 3 button pads because it gives you an option in the game to select joypads................hmmmm oh wait...........nevermind.........thats only for the Amiga's 2 joystick ports...........

Yep. The way the adaptor is built, it can't support more than one button.

it wont allow you that option for the 4-Player adaptor. But I have heard of hacks online that let you use them.

four player hacks? I doubt that.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 08:07:40 PM »
cgutjahr wrote: four player hacks? I doubt that.

No, not 4 player hacks..........but software that lets you use the 4Player adaptor with SEGA Genesis Joypads with maybe some modifications to the 4Player adaptor :-)

I think I remember seeing this somewhere

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 08:21:57 PM »

leirbag28 wrote:
I would love to make one myself but I dont dare do it........................but anyway, my 4-Player adaptor is really clean and new.there seems to be nothing wrong............if anything its probably my parallel port............Im gonna have to try it on a different machine to make sure.............although I have tried it on 2 already...........I hope its not my parrallel. I did try regular Amiga joysticks but nothing.
Even new connectors can be a bit rusty (though it might not look like so)
That's really not uncommon.
Try to clean the pins with cola or so.

(it's one things to be done in a quick moment)

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 08:54:46 PM »
Speelgoedmannetje wrote: Even new connectors can be a bit rusty (though it might not look like so)
That's really not uncommon.
Try to clean the pins with cola or so.

Yeah but they already look Super clean? I tried wiggling the wires around but no luck..so I am gonna assume this is the Gauntlet2 version like the guy said.