Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does anyone test the upcoming Lubuntu 14.04 PowerPC?  (Read 2864 times)

Description:

Offline xeno74Topic starter

• Show only replies by xeno74
    • http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de

Offline vince_6

Re: Does anyone test the upcoming Lubuntu 14.04 PowerPC?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
I wish it was for classic ppc too :-/
My BBS : flashbackbbs.sytes.net:6502
http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/ A1200 Black Project

Offline smf

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
How is the pegasos2 support nowdays? I used to run Linux on it many many years ago and now i would like to install it again just to see what this old machine is capable of nowdays. I'm lazy so an easy install is required.

Offline Madshib

• Show only replies by Madshib
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
According to Distrowatch, Lubuntu is still Powerpc compatible. I am looking into it for my daughter's G4 iBook along with MorphOS. She needs to understand all sorts of OSes ;)

Offline xeno74Topic starter

• Show only replies by xeno74
    • http://www.supertuxkart-amiga.de
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
*** Lubuntu: Testers needed for PowerPC 14.04 ***

Quote by rsavage:

Release time soon, so why not help out with the testing? A PowerPC ISO will only be released if it is tested and passes all tests. This is a VERY time consuming process, so if you are able to help out I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by the lubuntu-qa team. Lots of info about testing in the FAQ and Lubuntu wikis.  Don't assume somebody else is going to do it for you, otherwise you might be in for a shock (kubuntu users?).  I've updated the "Known Issues" page with the current bugs from the tracker. Most of them are old (and not necessarily powerpc specific). I think there are workarounds for most, although I've yet to try the one for the live installer.  Please don't spam this thread with waffle. Comments in this thread mean nothing. The release team are only interested in official bug reports and official tracker testing results. Remember to confirm any existing bugs as this adds 'heat' to the bug.  Please also update the PowerPC Known Issues page with any new bugs/workarounds as it makes life so much easier for the next person.  If you have a problem that you want help with then RAISE A NEW THREAD.
I have edited the page PowerPCKnownIssues (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues). I have added some bugs and solutions.

Lubuntu 14.04 works on all Sams and on the A1-X1000.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:07 PM »
Looks interesting.
As MorphOS is not available for my PCI-e PowerMac G5, I'd like to try a similar distro.

Edit - Looking at it, I think I'll wait until it is more stable.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:59:44 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline DiskChris

• Show only replies by DiskChris
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »
For powerpc, or many other architectures, I would recommend straight Debian, which Ubuntu is based off of.  You can configure it the same with lxde, the package management is the same, and it runs on almost anything. They don't call it the "universal operating system" for nothin :lol:

Offline TeamBlackFox

• Master SPARC
    • Show only replies by TeamBlackFox
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
For anyone on PowerPC wanting to try a nice OS based on Linux, I second Debian (upstream of Ubuntu) it is quite stable on PowerPC and comes with a variety of DEs easily and has exceptional hardware compatibility in most cases.

Second I would recommend either Gentoo or FreeBSD for people wanting something a little more flexible or DIY. Both are pretty comprehensive, source based Unices (Former is based on Linux with a ports collection similar to the BSDs, latter is the most popular BSD fork currently around) and easy to get around, since they are primarily source based, they also encounter significantly less issues as long as the processor is supported.
After many years in the Amiga community I have decided to leave the Amiga community permanently. If you have a question about SGI or Sun computers please PM me and I will return your contact as soon as I can.

Offline tlosm

• Show only replies by tlosm
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »