Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Os 3.1.4 Thread  (Read 240203 times)

Description:

Offline 10MARC

Re: The Os 3.1.4 Thread
« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »
I have AmigaOS 3.1.4 on my A500 with an ACA500+ - fresh install. Any time I try to use the intuition patch so I can move Windows off screen, I get a software error (a guru screen on boot) I have Amiga OS 3.1.4 on my A4000 and it works OK. Has anyone had a problem with the ACA500+ like this? (Amiga 500, rev 6 board, MegaAChip with 2MB - also tried on my Rev 5 A500 with 1 MB CHIP and same results.)

guest11527

« Reply #360 on: March 28, 2019, 03:58:23 PM »
I have AmigaOS 3.1.4 on my A500 with an ACA500+ - fresh install. Any time I try to use the intuition patch so I can move Windows off screen, I get a software error (a guru screen on boot) I have Amiga OS 3.1.4 on my A4000 and it works OK. Has anyone had a problem with the ACA500+ like this? (Amiga 500, rev 6 board, MegaAChip with 2MB - also tried on my Rev 5 A500 with 1 MB CHIP and same results.)

For starters, it would be helpful to know which guru you see. How much memory is avaialble in total? 1MB total will not make you happy.

Offline 10MARC

« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
My system has the 2 MB Megachip, so 2 MB of CHIP RAM and 7 MB on the ACA500+. Plenty of RAM. My point where I reference 1 MB was just explaining that I tried it on two different Amiga 500, one with one megabyte of Chip ram one with 2 megabytes of Chip ram. Both machines had 7 megabytes of fast ram. When I try to load the intuition.library it will often just give me the flashing red "software failure", but today it is crashing to the green ACA500+ error screen. I will have to edit down the photo that I took - too big for an attachment.

guest11527

« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2019, 12:21:31 AM »
When I try to load the intuition.library it will often just give me the flashing red "software failure", but today it is crashing to the green ACA500+ error screen.
No need for a photo. I only need the number that is shown in the software error. It's an 8 digit number that identifies the cause of the problem.

Offline cehofer

« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:01 AM »
Have you been seeing any "Block Checksum" errors with 46.13?  I have a physical drive that 2 partitions, system and work that they have crept up on and on my SCSI2SD partition.  I have used Dave Haynie's DiskSalv4.  It detects the errors and supposedly repairs them but on reboot my Work partition still spends time re-indexing and will say "Block ###" has a checksum error "retry" "cancel".  It did seem to fix my System partition.  I even went as far as to copy my Work data to another drive, reformat and copy the data back, and I still get the error on copying.  Usually formatting will get rid of bad blocks on the drive.

This drive has been wiped and formatted with 46.13 from the start.  I did not update the file system.

guest11527

« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »
Have you been seeing any "Block Checksum" errors with 46.13?  I have a physical drive that 2 partitions, system and work that they have crept up on and on my SCSI2SD partition.  I have used Dave Haynie's DiskSalv4.  It detects the errors and supposedly repairs them but on reboot my Work partition still spends time re-indexing and will say "Block ###" has a checksum error "retry" "cancel".
Argh! Never, ever, use DiskSalv4 on a disk with partitions that extend beyond the 4GB bondary. This will successfully corrupt your disk (as seen) as the tool does not speak NSD, TD64 nor DirectSCSI. To rescue disks from a corrupt disk, use DiskDoctor, which is part of the toolchain you received with 3.1.4.

This said, both diskdoctor and DiskSalv report false positives from time to time - this will be fixed in 3.1.4.1. Meaning, it will report (erraneously) some false "corrupt header blocks" that are, actually, completely fine (and data blocks of a file).

Best cure is to retrieve all files on the mentioned disk with DiskDoctor (delivered on the Extras disk) to a new disk, format the corrupt disk, and copy files back. DiskSalv *cannot* repair partitions beyond the 4GB boundary. Instead, it will corrupt them.

Offline cehofer

« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2019, 08:22:58 PM »
I did not run Disksalve4 until I had the checksum issue.

The two physical partitions in question are System 970MB and Work 1.4GB.  This is a 4Gig drive total.  The third partition on that drive has not given me issue.  I have learned early on that the Boot or System partition I keep under a gig.  The SCSI2SD in question is only a 1.9G partition.

Here is what seemed to fix the issue on Work and the SD card.  I first reformatted Work with FFS and International (default) checked.  Even after that, I would still get those checksum errors when copying back to that partition.   I then reformatted it with only FFS and no International and no trashcan.  That seemed to fix it.  I filled the partition copying data to it and deleting it successfully.  I did the same to the SCSI2SD partition.  They are behaving now.

Can you explain what "International mode" is?

I had a crash.  I backup to my Western Digital Worldbook NAS using the SMBFS2.1, Deneb v9, poseidon 4.5 and a linysys usb nic.  I have another 4000T and 4000D running 3.1.4 but using Ariadne and CBM2065 NIC running the same SAMBA and SMBFS2.1.  They backup fast and without issue.

BTW, I don' t know if you updated the BSDSocket lib or what, but network speed has greatly improved with 3.1.4.

This 4000T with USB/nic, Internet is fast but for whatever reason SMBFS is slow.  I'm talking floppy slow.  And for whatever reason, it will lock up my NAS and in turn crashing the Amiga.  I don't know why the SMBFS doesn't time out but it doesn't.  I have to power cycle my NAS to get it back.

I was doing a backup to the NAS when it crashed and after that I had these Checksum issue.  I found it odd that I had the checksum issue or corruption while reading from the disk instead of writing to it. 

I usually backup to USB and then copy that to NAS.  I was tweeking Genesis hoping to get better performance out of the usb/nic when all this happened.  I can't find anything anywhere to help my usb/nic. 

FYI, I am not using DMA for my Deneb as it says it conflicts with the SCSI card.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 08:53:11 PM by cehofer »

Offline wiser3

• Show only replies by wiser3
    • http://www.trep4.com/
« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
this will be fixed in 3.1.4.1

Any other sharable news of what will be fixed in 3.1.4.1? Is it based on the 3.1.4 ROM? I'm not thrilled about buying another ROM set but would if it included off-screen window dragging.

guest11527

« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2019, 07:13:59 AM »
Any other sharable news of what will be fixed in 3.1.4.1? Is it based on the 3.1.4 ROM? I'm not thrilled about buying another ROM set but would if it included off-screen window dragging.
There is no new ROM for 3.1.4.1. Anything beyond 3.1.4.1 if there may be a new ROM will still be shipped with intuition v40 as cybergraphics is incompatible and we cannot fix that.

Offline Orphan264

« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
Can you explain what "International mode" is?

I would also like to know more about that. If I recall it first appeared around the time Workbench 2.04 was released, but I could be wrong...

guest11527

« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2019, 03:13:58 PM »
The international mode of the FFS changes how file names with international characters are handled. Note that FFS is not case-sensitive, that is, file name matching needs to know how to convert letters from lower case to upper case to identify a file name - and also how to compute the hash-value of a file name to quickly locate the file.

Now, the OFS originally only did that based on the ASCII encoding, i.e. it would identify a=A, but it would fail on the upper half of the ISO-Latin-1 encoding, namely ä!=Ä. So, it was case-senitive for "funny German Umlauts" to give one example.  The international mode finally made the FFS "ISO-Latin" aware.

All "modern" variants of FFS are "international" in this respect, i.e. handle upper and lower case correctly and handle case-insentivitiy also for letters beyond the ASCII set. That is, the dircache, long file name and long-file-name compatibility variants of FFS and OFS are all fine in this respect.

There is really little reason - except for legacy or compatibility to 1.3 - to use the incorrect (first generation) versions.

Other than that, the administration information and block layout etc. is all the same.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »
There is no new ROM for 3.1.4.1. Anything beyond 3.1.4.1 if there may be a new ROM will still be shipped with intuition v40 as cybergraphics is incompatible and we cannot fix that.

Have you considered shipping the new intuition in ROM and making some sort of patch available for cybergraphics compatibility instead? i.e. something that patches in the old v40 intuition? This could be an option at the time of installing 3.1.4.

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
« Reply #371 on: April 06, 2019, 12:30:51 AM »
if there is no NEW Rom for 3.1.4 then why was I sold one?
This is starting to stink.

Offline wiser3

• Show only replies by wiser3
    • http://www.trep4.com/
« Reply #372 on: April 06, 2019, 01:04:36 AM »
if there is no NEW Rom for 3.1.4 then why was I sold one?
This is starting to stink.

There is a new ROM for 3.1.4.
There will not be new ROM for 3.1.4.1. Notice the additional .1.

guest11527

« Reply #373 on: April 06, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
Have you considered shipping the new intuition in ROM and making some sort of patch available for cybergraphics compatibility instead? i.e. something that patches in the old v40 intuition? This could be an option at the time of installing 3.1.4.
And how exactly should I create such patches? And how ship them? We don't have sources for CyberGraphics, leave alone any rights on it. CyberGraphics depends critically on the stack layout and register allocation of the old GreenHill compiler, running only on old Sun Sparcs, as soon as you compile the old code with a new compiler, CyberGfx does no longer work.

If you want intuition v45 in ROM, write Frank Mariak to update CyberGraphics. I'm happy to help, deliver test versions to him, or add hooks for CyberGraphics to receive intuition internal information, with all the blessings from Hyperion. But I,  personally, will not touch CyberGraphics. It's Frank's code, not mine.

Offline gregthecanuck

• Show only replies by gregthecanuck
« Reply #374 from previous page: April 06, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
And how exactly should I create such patches? And how ship them? We don't have sources for CyberGraphics, leave alone any rights on it. CyberGraphics depends critically on the stack layout and register allocation of the old GreenHill compiler, running only on old Sun Sparcs, as soon as you compile the old code with a new compiler, CyberGfx does no longer work.

If you want intuition v45 in ROM, write Frank Mariak to update CyberGraphics. I'm happy to help, deliver test versions to him, or add hooks for CyberGraphics to receive intuition internal information, with all the blessings from Hyperion. But I,  personally, will not touch CyberGraphics. It's Frank's code, not mine.

Hi Thomas - I wasn't suggesting to patch CyberGraphics... instead some sort of run-time patch to intuition to slot in V40 or some sort of interface patch to make it work with CyberGraphics. It seems a shame to hold back a nicely updated intuition for a 'dead' set of third-party libraries.