Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiKit 1.6.0: The biggest update ever! Now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  (Read 9657 times)

Description:

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: AmiKit 1.6.0: The biggest update ever! Now available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 06, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »
Quote from: Nostromo;674647
I just tried it. It is awesome.

Anyone else thinks Amikit gives us an idea of what Amiga could be like today if it still existed? (excluding OS4).

++1!

I grabbed it too and LOVE it!

I'm kinda glad you posted here because I didn't have money to donate when I picked it up but now I do!

TANKZ for da' reminder!

BRB ;)
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline motrucker

This new version is great! Many thanks.
The holidays have left me truly flat - but I will have a donation in quite soon. I think your work is first class +.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Quote from: Nostromo;674647
I just tried it. It is awesome.

Anyone else thinks Amikit gives us an idea of what Amiga could be like today if it still existed? (excluding OS4).

+++1

It's starting to become my second OS choice on my PC now. Loving it.

Offline AmiKitTopic starter

New limited batch of AmiKit USB flash disks is now available. If you haven't ordered yet, take your chance now! All the previous pending orders have been shipped.

The new flash disks contain updated emulation engine for Windows and more or updated bonus material like special edition of Icaros Desktop, AmiKit hardfile, wallpapers, etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:52:48 AM by AmiKit »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
So the new one's have material not present on the previous one's?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Yes. Wallpapers and other graphics, OS3.9 patches, Icaros update, etc. as well as fixed and updated AmiKit installer (which now contains new AmiKit preview of WinUAE 2.4.0). People who purchased previous flash disk version will receive a link to the new content.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Cool.

I look forward to the day when UAE is fast enough and good enough on the three next gen Amiga variants to have their own Amikit distro too! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Quote from: AmiKit;676780
New limited batch of AmiKit USB flash disks is now available. If you haven't ordered yet, take your chance now! All the previous pending orders have been shipped.

The new flash disks contain updated emulation engine for Windows and more or updated bonus material like special edition of Icaros Desktop, AmiKit hardfile, wallpapers, etc.

My AmiKit USB flash disk arrived about a week ago, thanks Jan.

I installed it on my 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook and was surprised at the poor performance it provided.

Do you have any suggestions on how to speed up the performance on G4 Mac computers?  I know that E-UAE is lagging behind WinUAE and has no JIT to speed it up.  But I was not thinking that E-UAE on a 1.67GHz G4 would be slower when using AmiKit than bog standard AmigaOS3.1 when running WinUAE on a 500MHz Celeron laptop.

Any ideas?
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

I am afraid my only recommendation is to use Mac with Intel CPU. AmiKit flies on such a machine.

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
Just ordered one from the new batch ;-)
I`ve already installed the latest version and it really worths every cent
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Have never used AmiKit but I downloaded the Windows version just now to try it out. :)

Here is some feedback:

In the Swedish installer, the letter å isn't working, it displays some other strange character instead.

When the installer gets to the point where it says "installing more than 30,000 AmiKit files", the progress bar quickly reaches 100%, obviously before those 30,000 files are installed, because you have to wait quite some time at that point, giving the impression that the install process has stalled. IMHO a progress bar could be used in a better way.

I installed AmiKit on my E:\ partition, but WinUAE seems to be configured to load the ROM from C:\AmiKit\ROMs\ which in my case doesn't exist. The pre-configured HDD is also pointing at C:\AmiKit\AmiKit, which in my case doesn't exist.

Maybe I'm clueless, but it was impossible for me to install from either AmigaOS3.9 or Amiga Forever 2011. No matter what I did, it didn't find/recognize the volume. Only when I mounted the CD in WinUAE as a *HDD* it was found and the install process could go on.

And finally I got it working! :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Posting this from NetSurf in AmiKit... :)

(This browser was a real PITA to use BTW, not easy to use something else on an Amiga after you got used to Odyssey on MorphOS ;))

Quote from: Cass;676805
Just ordered one from the new batch ;-)
I`ve already installed the latest version and it really worths every cent

Thank you. Also for the donation!!

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676813
Posting this from NetSurf in AmiKit... :)

(This browser was a real PITA to use BTW, not easy to use something else on an Amiga after you got used to Odyssey on MorphOS ;))

Speaking of NetSurf (it was the first time I have come in contact with this program) - It's more than obvious that NetSurf isn't integrated to use the Amiga native GUI, which is one of the major shortcomings and probably a big reason to why it's so difficult to use (beyond it's limited feature set), but I must ask the question (look at the attached picture): Is this normal? Is there a setting to avoid this?

Well, it's very obvious that a lot of work has been put into this AmiKit package, it's a very nice bundle! A very slick classic Amiga environment! :)

Is there a plan to make use of Grunch in the future? That would be a great! :)

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;676812
In the Swedish installer, the letter å isn't working, it displays some other strange character instead.

Jag är ledsen. Hmm, the installer should be unicode...

When the installer gets to the point where it says "installing more than 30,000 AmiKit files", the progress bar quickly reaches 100%, obviously before those 30,000 files are installed, because you have to wait quite some time at that point, giving the impression that the install process has stalled. IMHO a progress bar could be used in a better way.

Yep, there's a large 7z archive unpacking in background.
In the past I used to have more 7z archives (each one containing a separate drawer of AmiKit structure, like C.7z, Classes.7z, etc.). This way I could update the progress step by step, drawer by drawer. But the overall size of the AmiKit archive was much bigger.

I installed AmiKit on my E:\ partition, but WinUAE seems to be configured to load the ROM from C:\AmiKit\ROMs\ which in my case doesn't exist. The pre-configured HDD is also pointing at C:\AmiKit\AmiKit, which in my case doesn't exist.

Oops. Last night I added new WinUAE 2.4.0 Preview into the archive and forgot to set the relative paths.

Maybe I'm clueless, but it was impossible for me to install from either AmigaOS3.9 or Amiga Forever 2011. No matter what I did, it didn't find/recognize the volume. Only when I mounted the CD in WinUAE as a *HDD* it was found and the install process could go on.

Oops. Another stupid mistake. From now on I won't upload anything during nights anymore :)

And finally I got it working! :)

Thanks god :-)
I will re-upload fixed version, could you please test it for me? I will send you a PM. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:50:38 PM by AmiKit »