Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices and crappy i3  (Read 16856 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
@Duce

Link please, I found no way to do this in the US store.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
I'm expecting desktop offerings to come to a grinding halt pretty soon. Laptops will just have a small selection to choose from.
If you dig around and if you don't mind paying more you can still get that rarer hardware.
Windows 8 could have thrown a lot of people off, but really they would have tried to stay on Windows 7. Thankfully the mfgrs are pulling back from touchscreen everything.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
Quote from: yssing;764756
And here I was thinking, that I should get a lifetime membership of amiga.org.
It is not suitable for the SysAdmin to post stuff like this.
Anyway glad I did not throw money after amiga.org

I second that motion.

Nothing about the Surface is Amiga related. If this forum wants to be a alternative OS site how about changing the domain to altos.org.

As for donating, why should I! Many Amiga businesses get free/cheap publicity flogging their products on here and it remains the fault of the Amiga.org not to pursue these businesses for higher contributions to keep this site active.
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

@Megamig

Amiga.org has few articles that are not Amiga related. Feel free to hunt down more and post them as news like I do. I spend time looking for and adding many Amiga related news items. I wish there were more to post but today that's not the case.

@Duce

Microsoft would tend to disagree that the iPad is just a consumption device.

Here is a partial list of their business Apps for iPad

Lync 2010 and Lync 2013. These are the full-featured mobile clients for Lync and Lync Online.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection. This useful app lets you remote desktop into your servers and PCs.

Microsoft Rights Management Sharing.
This app lets you manage RMS document protection in Office 365 for businesses.

Microsoft Tech Companion for iPads.
This newsfeed-type app helps you keep up to date on the Microsoft solutions that interest in most.

Office 365 Admin.
Currently  limited a bit in scope, this app lets you know at a glance whether your  subscribed Office 365 services are up and running. (In other words, you  can't actually use this app to administer Office 365).

Office for iPad.
Microsoft has delivered full featured versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint for iPad.

Office Mobile (for iPhone only).
Microsoft  provides a mobile version of its Office suite—with mobile versions of  Word, Excel and PowerPoint—for the iPhone only.

OneDrive and OneDrive for Business.
Microsoft's  cloud storage services for individuals and businesses are amply served  on iOS. (Oddly, there is no OneDrive for Business client on Android.)

OneNote.
Microsoft  makes nice OneNote versions for both iPhone and iPad, and the iPad  version was recently updated with the new Office look and feel and other  improvements.

OWA for iPhone, OWA for iPad.
This  app lets you access your (business versions of) Office 365-based email,  calendars and contacts using a Windows Phone-like UI and Microsoft  features such as Conversation View] and messaging flagging. While most  individuals will probably stick to the built-in Mail and Calendar and  Contacts apps, which are excellent, Microsoft will be adding policy  improvements to OWA that will put it over the top for many businesses.  (See below.)

SharePoint Newsfeed.
With this app, you can stay up to up to date with your SharePoint 2013-based connections, make new posts, upload photos, and more. Using Yammer? There's a dedicated Yammer app too.

Skype.
Microsoft's consumer-oriented communications solution will almost certainly be of interest as well.

Windows Intune Company Portal.
This  mobile app version of the Intune portal lets end users browse apps  you've made available via Microsoft's MDM solution and install them on  their devices.

Offline rebraist

• Show only replies by rebraist
I3 crappy cpu? And all of our ppc what is? Fake cpu wannabe? If in Amiga Land we had a cpu half the power of an i3 we'd have a true cpu...
I\'m not an heretic: an heretic is a morphos user! I\'m a perverted: i\'m an aros user!
edit:...i\'m now an heretic perverted... i\'m a morpharosian...
Evil has no limits... I\'ve even os4.1 too...
Is there in my house any space to sleep still?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
MS can believe what they like about their iOS offerings.  With the exception of Skype and OneNote, they are all absolutely awful and gimped (and horribly cloud centric, which many people still dislike) in comparison to their full fledged counterparts, which one can run just fine on, you guessed it - the x86 Surface machines :)  You find me someone that can say Office for iOS is as every bit as usable as Office for Mac or PC and I'll eat my hat.  You can call a Yugo a Ferrari, and even put Ferrari stickers on said Yugo - but that doesn't make it a Ferrari. It makes it a turd plated in fools gold.  iWork is free and is far better, even the press are lambasting Office for iOS, and rightly so - it costs you $100 a year to own virtually nothing.  Office is a "free" program that requires a hundred bucks a year in cloud services fees to really do anything other than be a doc reader.  It's as useful as a polished turd without Office 365 subs.  Again, iWork is free, works well, and is nice and quick.  Office for iOS is horribly slow, just awful.  Advertising the "ribbon" interface wasn't something MS should have ever plugged as a perk, either, lol.

I quit using all MS (and Google) cloud services after the Snowden NSA fiasco.  I trust neither with any of my personal data when it's pretty glaring that the NSA has keys to the backdoor.

http://macdailynews.com/2014/03/27/microsoft-releases-hobbled-office-for-ipad-requires-100year-subscription-to-createedit-documents/

And they wonder why the take up rate on it sucks so bad when iWork is free, not only free - but a lot nicer to use.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
And your home network is safer than the cloud yeah? Your ADSL/Cable modem/router's DLP and IDS/IPS has got it all under control.
And using iWork on an iPad ? I'm confused by your view on cloud.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
If tablets are popular, then by default a desktop or 'the old ways' are bad.
Its probably just another fad. People get excited about new technology.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;764879
If tablets are popular, then by default a desktop or 'the old ways' are bad.
Its probably just another fad. People get excited about new technology.

whoever gets hurt that desktop isnt the everybodys darling, is sick. i have enough of desktop, or rather of those uncanny tower bricks under the table (with loose hard drives sticking out of them), because desktop is long dead, with 386, performa and amiga4000, sorry to say. now, who does really care of form factor of computers as soon as it is compact enough and does its job? i loved the a 600 and i like  surface. may we put this thread to death? its an amiga forum after all!

Offline wawrzon

remember?

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
An i3 while bottom of the line is still powerful enough for a lot of tasks.  Microsoft is still trying to find the sweet spot between battery life and power.  Windows 8.1 spring update fixed most of the glaring problems of Windows 8 by giving the desktop a reason to exist again.  There's still some life in Microsoft and with Blamer gone they could just become the comeback kid.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline psxphill

Quote from: SysAdmin;764735
Looks like the regular Surface RT tablets will be discontinued thus Surface will now start at $799 instead of $499.

Unless someone wants to buy an RT and not a Pro then it won't make any difference. If people want to buy them then they'll keep selling them, if not then it doesn't matter that they no longer sell them.

Quote from: SysAdmin;764731
@psxphill

Surface Pro 3 is cheaper than the Pro 2 because it uses the crappy i3 processor instead of the i5 that's in the Pro 2.

I know & you were comparing the price of a "crappy" i3 surface pro 3 with a surface rt 2 with an even crappier arm.

Quote from: SysAdmin;764772
Everyone is different but I would never buy or want a machine with an i3.

Don't buy the i3 one then. They also have models with an i5 or i7 if you want.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
All of you sounds SO full of crap.

First, all 64 bit cpus are more than powerful enough.
I can't really tell the performance differences between an Apple G5, an i3, or my AMD cpus - and I don't need 8 cores or an i7.

Second, desktops remain a completely viable form factor - heck I'm pricing new components right now.

Third, screw the minor differences, all modern OS' are virtually interchangeable.

Fourth - I don't CARE if you like Apple products, they cost too much without offering enough additional value.

Fifth (and finally) - If you don't think our current PPC offerings are powerful enough, you have tried an NG OS on an X1000 or G5.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Quote from: wawrzon;764880
may we put this thread to death? its an amiga forum after all!

Nah; SysAdmin likes to party like it's 1990 and that ZOMG M$/WINTEL IS TEH EVIL!!!!!!!!!!111ONEONELEVEN is still a thing.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
I have I3 sandy bridge 3.30 ghz. (I might upgrade it to I5 Ivy bridge in Aug but I don't know yet.)This old computer has saved me. My AMD computer died.  The hard drive died. I guess I use whatever I can get by.

Re: Surface 3 - New direction, higher prices aimed at corperate customers and crappy
« Reply #74 from previous page: May 23, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
The man said: What? My Laptop had a shag with my Tablet?! No no no, that's just the Surface Pro 3. Why does this link remind me of it?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/20/tennessee_atm_outrage/