Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 100 Dollar Game Consoles  (Read 5339 times)

Description:

Offline danbeaver

Re: 100 Dollar Game Consoles
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 24, 2015, 07:37:02 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;799495
I saw a Chrome Book at a local pawn shop and it 2 GB Ram and 16 GB of SSD storage space.
Any idea what it could be used for, emulation, Aros, etc?

Coffee Table coaster?  Door Prop?  It really depends on the CPU chip type, GPU, glue chips and version of "linux" that it runs...

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
Besides using the PSP as a portable Amiga emulator I'll chip in a word for "stationary" around 100USD mark system. The Intel Compute stick, yes it's a "tiny" x86 soc that you just plug into your monitor or TV (via HDMI). Then you can use WinUAE  that blows away the Android/ARM ports in features and performance and you also score a fully working x86 Windows/Linux machine and can use it as a HTPC etc and open up the door for huge amounts of x86 software. And great for the ones that want a dedicated x86 Amiga emulator machine.

Specs: Intel Atmo Z3735F (4 cores @ 1.33GHz), 2GB ram, 32GB eMMC Storage and a micro SD slot.

Tho limited to one USB port a USB-Hub is nearly a must if not going for a all in one keyboard/mouse combo and you do not need any USB peripherals on top of that.

Soon there will be a new stick out with a faster CPU and 4GB of ram so might be worth waiting for that one.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:23:56 AM by som99 »

Offline trekiejTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 06:44:08 AM »
Thanks. I still would like to put Amiga OS 4.1 FE on a laptop.
It would be cool to put it on an Arm system.

Door prop, coaster, chuckle :D

Chrome Book: I think it is a dual core
I guess I could solder in a larger NAND, say a 128 GB chip minimal?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 12:16:28 PM »
I have one of the Compute Sticks. Decent little box once you replace Win 8.1 (I upgraded to Win 10). It requires power over micro USB, so it's not quite as clean a solution as just plugging into HDMI. Haven't tried WinUAE on it yet. The internal storage fills up real fast with just day-to-day Windows piggyness, so make sure to get a microSD card to go with it.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »
Thanks Matt.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
If AROS and UAE are a priority then x86 hardware solutions are the way to go.
Not just because of the hardware advantage, but software wise x86 offers better choices for both, AROS having best support under x86 and uae having the best versions under x86.
Im quite fond of my baytrail tablet. Only portable device I've used that runs any Amiga software I've thrown at it at full speed.

For a super cheap option a PSP is surprisingly capable, but unfortunately Amiga emulation is too slow.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline 7valleys

• Show only replies by 7valleys
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
It's got wifi and bluetooth, one USB port is probably overkill.

Quote from: som99;799505
Besides using the PSP as a portable Amiga emulator I'll chip in a word for "stationary" around 100USD mark system. The Intel Compute stick, yes it's a "tiny" x86 soc that you just plug into your monitor or TV (via HDMI). Then you can use WinUAE  that blows away the Android/ARM ports in features and performance and you also score a fully working x86 Windows/Linux machine and can use it as a HTPC etc and open up the door for huge amounts of x86 software. And great for the ones that want a dedicated x86 Amiga emulator machine.

Specs: Intel Atmo Z3735F (4 cores @ 1.33GHz), 2GB ram, 32GB eMMC Storage and a micro SD slot.

Tho limited to one USB port a USB-Hub is nearly a must if not going for a all in one keyboard/mouse combo and you do not need any USB peripherals on top of that.

Soon there will be a new stick out with a faster CPU and 4GB of ram so might be worth waiting for that one.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
Thanks XDel