Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hate! Hate! Hate! (take 2)  (Read 7542 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
Hate! Hate! Hate! (take 2)
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
A wise man once said "you may not know yourself until you see with different eyes".

I'm opening this topic to allow you guys to point out anything that you DO NOT like about the current site so that we might learn, understand, and have the opportunity to fix it.

If there's something you have to say about this site and what you think we're doing wrong, PLEASE feel free to do it in a constructive manner.

-- i.e. --
"You suck", not so helpful because it doesn't explain why we suck, what we suck, or how we could reverently not suck so much. .  

"You suck, but I really think that you could suck less if you would xyz", potentially helpful because it's not only bitchy, but in a good, constructive way.

Thanks,

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline hooligan

• Show only replies by hooligan
    • http://www.mikseri.net/hooligan
Re: Hate! Hate! Hate! (take 2)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:34:46 PM »
Can't say I really HATE anything.. anymore... I don't even miss the old site which worked just fine. I like the new customizingoption, and the overal look improved a lot since the initial version. Sorry to be of no help ;-)

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:38:57 PM »
I think you need to go back to the yoda avatar.  No offense, but your pic looks like a sad french inspector...

But seriously, for some unknown reason, the new site seems cramped to me, like there's TOO much info right from the start / on the main page.  I wish I could be more specific...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline adz

• Knight of the Sock
    • Show only replies by adz
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »
Loved the revamp from the beta stage, in fact I spend more time here than I ever have in the past. I still cannot for the life of me figure out what this Rep Power thing is, you see a person with a reputation of 10 and a Rep Power of 6 whereas I have a reputation of 39 and a Rep Power of 8.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
I can't honestly think of anything I hate. The only thing which would be nice would be the option to customise the home page as a logged off user. That way you still get your preferred layout when lurking as you do when logging in. I have no idea if that's possible within vBulletin though.

Apart from that, the only other thing is that the mobile interface doesn't scale to the iPhone screen and you can't zoom out, meaning there's lots of scrolling involved. Though I understand that's part of the theme and can't readily be changed.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
I should study more the situation, but as said above, there's a general "mess" with a lot of things around that create a bit of confusion.

In my opinion remove the login frame from the top page and just leave the space on the upper right corner.
When logged, in the home page, always remove the frame with avatar and personal info from the top page, and place the same in the upper right corner (with avatar and other relevant info as well - more than now).

Remove the popular tags frame as default.
Place the poll section before the user list.

...and maybe I'm not used to the new site, but I'm not able to find the list of my previous post.

Hope this helps!
Ciao from Italy!

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
You suck. ;)

Actually, I love the site now, initially it was a bit clumsy but I knew it just took a bit of tweaking. I think you've done a great job Wayne and everyone else involved, now sit back for a while and let people get used to it - maybe put a suggestion box link somewhere to collect ideas.

While I think of it though, one little idea (and it's one that's quite popular in a couple of forums I admin)... Is it possible to add a minimal smiley bar/box to the quick reply screen? I miss it when it's not there after using it elsewhere.

Thanks guys! No hate from me anyway!
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline Cammy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
When I click on the "New Posts" link it only shows a few results, where as it used to show a lot more. Now I miss out on most recent topics. Is there a way to fix that?
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline meega

• Show only replies by meega
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »
@Cammy

Yes... when you are logged out you have "Today's Posts" with this link http://www.amiga.org/forums/search.php?do=getdaily

and when logged in it is changed to "New Posts" which is http://www.amiga.org/forums/search.php?do=getnew

So bookmark the logged out version. ;)

Ed: I've just discovered Today's Posts is also under Quick Links... :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:57:35 PM by meega »
:)

Offline kolla

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »
I hate that there is no direct link from a users profile to the gallery of same user. At least I havent found any other way than remembering the user id number, enter the gallery, pick a random user's gallery and replace the user number in the URL.

I would expect to find something under statistics - am I blind, dumb... both? :)
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

• Winning!
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
Quote from: motorollin;510821
The only thing which would be nice would be the option to customise the home page as a logged off user.
Not really possible under the way things are-- and no, I don't need PHP 101 from all you wannabe coders --  Anonymous users essentially share one "login"

Apart from that, the only other thing is that the mobile interface doesn't scale to the iPhone screen and you can't zoom out, meaning there's lots of scrolling involved. Though I understand that's part of the theme and can't readily be changed.
I really can't split my focus between the 99% of users on the regular interface and the few using the mobile interface right now, though it's on the list when the regular interface gets as closed to finished as it can.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »
Quote from: ognix;510825
I should study more the situation, but as said above, there's a general "mess" with a lot of things around that create a bit of confusion.

In my opinion remove the login frame from the top page and just leave the space on the upper right corner.
When logged, in the home page, always remove the frame with avatar and personal info from the top page, and place the same in the upper right corner (with avatar and other relevant info as well - more than now).

I'll see what I can do, but without hand-editing code -- which means it'll have to be RE edited every single time we upgrade, I'm not sure if what you're asking is possible.  I could just turn off that whole box, but only if everyone agreed.

Remove the popular tags frame as default.
Fair enough.  I thought they would be more useful than they have been in helping users find specific topics to read/discuss.  Maybe not.

Place the poll section before the user list.
Feel free to "Customize this page" and put it whereever you want.

...and maybe I'm not used to the new site, but I'm not able to find the list of my previous post.
You should be able to find your posts from inside your User CP, or when you're in a forum, by clicking on a post of yours to "find other posts by username"

Edit : Quick Links >> Your Profile >> Statistics >> Find posts made by (your username)

You can bookmark that I believe, but if I click on "Wayne" above my picture to the left, I get "find more posts by Wayne" as a dropdown option.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:31:13 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »
Quote from: Daedalus;510826
While I think of it though, one little idea (and it's one that's quite popular in a couple of forums I admin)... Is it possible to add a minimal smiley bar/box to the quick reply screen? I miss it when it's not there after using it elsewhere.
The "Quick Reply" is meant to be exactly that.  Minimal, type a message, hit submit and you're done.  

To see the Smileys, make sure you have the "Advanced WYSIWYG editor" selected in your options, and use "Reply" instead.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

• Winning!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
Quote from: kolla;510836
I hate that there is no direct link from a users profile to the gallery of same user. At least I havent found any other way than remembering the user id number, enter the gallery, pick a random user's gallery and replace the user number in the URL.

I would expect to find something under statistics - am I blind, dumb... both? :)
Not dumb, but essentially what I think happens is that Jelsoft, the people who wrote vB, the VBAdvanced people, and every other author works on their separate product but doesn't really integrate them all as well as they should.

Should be a simple template edition, but please...  Add it to the Bug tracker so I don't forget it, and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:32:29 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
The the coffee house discussions no longer show up in the new posts...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.