Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple Watch, lol  (Read 6779 times)

Description:

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
Re: Apple Watch, lol
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 12, 2015, 04:33:36 AM »
This is the nature of the game; It's a land rush and the real estate is the wrist. If you don't get in now chances are you'll never get in at all. It doesn't matter that smart watches are bulky and have poor battery life, there hasn't been this much interest in the wrist-space since the fob watch first migrated there.

Heads-up space is the final frontier, and Google tried to get there too early. In 10 years we'll be back to only having sensors on our wrists, if anything. Of course the laggards will still have a regular (non-smart) watch on their wrists.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 05:24:25 AM »
Quote from: som99;786207
I wanted to try something new so last time I bought I phone I got the Lumia 1020 and the camera is really something else compared to other smart phones, specs of it:

Yep it's a great camera phone, you can purchase a camera holder for that phone which is really good.

I went with the 1320, good price, camera is good for the occasional photo and I was after a 6" screen. The 1520 is also a 6" screen but the price after doing some pros and cons was too much.

Will most likely upgrade when MS release the 1525.
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
Smart watches, how useless. Just a toy for the wrist, nothing more. I'll stick to my regular watch.

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;786210
Lens?

Yepp Lens :)

Quote from: Lurch;786231
Yep it's a great camera phone, you can purchase a camera holder for that phone which is really good.

I went with the 1320, good price, camera is good for the occasional photo and I was after a 6" screen. The 1520 is also a 6" screen but the price after doing some pros and cons was too much.

Will most likely upgrade when MS release the 1525.

Got the camera grip/holder, nice with the extra battery built in also :)

the 1320 is a nice phone also :) I will probably buy a WP phone the next time also.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2015, 08:12:27 AM »
Did Apple remember to copyright the wrist watch?

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2015, 10:28:40 AM »
If the device did pulse, BP, Ox levels, other than the same old same old pulse rate / pedometer, then that would be something.

Clearly battery life is a real challenge with these smaller devices even when they only turn on when they need to be on.

Are we there yet?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;786235
If the device did pulse, BP, Ox levels, other than the same old same old pulse rate / pedometer, then that would be something.

It does a lot more than what the competition offers..  The Apple Watch is just about the last watch in the world I'd purchase, but the focus on health on it is head and shoulders above what any of the competition is offering, and it will only get better.  Some people have even argued that the Apple Watch is just a health device masquerading as a watch, and one only has to watch 2 minutes of the Apple press event to see the deep focus they are putting on health.

The upcoming version is still lacking some sensors, but it's best in breed in the smart watch market in regards to health.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
They are even talking about the ability to share you data with health organisations to help research etc and Apple wont be able to see the data
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline amiman99

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2015, 07:58:29 PM »
My current watches, can Apple Watch withstand my abuse? I don't think so.
It never leaves my wrist.
Does anyone know water resist Databank model?

Oh, Commodore came out with their own watch like 30 years ago...
A500 KS 2.1, 1MB Chip, 68000
A600 KS 3.1, 2MB Chip, ACA630 32MB RAM
A1000 KS 1.3, 8MB RAM
A1200 KS 3.1, Blizzard IV 50MHz 64MB RAM
A2000 KS 2.1, 68030 25MHz, 6MB RAM
A3000 KS 3.1, 68030 25MHz, 16MB RAM
A4000 KS 3.0, 68040 25MHz, 16MB RAM
CDTV KS 3.1, 4MB RAM
CD32
(AROS BOX) Dead :(

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »
Quote from: Duce;786240
It does a lot more than what the competition offers..  The Apple Watch is just about the last watch in the world I'd purchase, but the focus on health on it is head and shoulders above what any of the competition is offering, and it will only get better.  Some people have even argued that the Apple Watch is just a health device masquerading as a watch, and one only has to watch 2 minutes of the Apple press event to see the deep focus they are putting on health.

The upcoming version is still lacking some sensors, but it's best in breed in the smart watch market in regards to health.

It does? Please educate me on the health monitoring features and analytical health insight capabilities of the device and its supporting microcosm?

Press release = 90% BS 10% product.

Don't get me wrong I think its a great piece of trendy tech fitness jewelry. It looks great.

It's not a health device. The specifications and requirements of a certified health device are very different to that of a fitness device.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:58 PM »
If you are unwilling to read a features list or otherwise do not believe it, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.  I'm sure the already released iOS 8.2 update with these said additions in the build logs wouldn't either.

I hate to be blunt here, but things in features lists and press releases/videos, you know - the things that a company like Apple is telling you "this is why our product is better than the others" isn't just water cooler talk.  People would sort of get uppity about such things if they weren't there when the product ships and they plunked down $400 on it, and hands on tests show everything they are advertising in the device as being there.

How well it will work in regards to health will be a personal judgement to make, I imagine, but what they have shown thus far is a big step over what the competition is offering.  It's (nor is any other smart watch) by no means
a replacement for a good MD, and none of them are billing these devices as such.  That being said, the tech minded medical community is showing a lot of interest in things like HealthKit.

I've got no personal interest in any of them for my own health tracking, but as a person with a severe amount of diabetes (among other things) in my family, I am very eager to see these devices and how they might improve health tracking.

Apple Watch is by no means an "MD replacement", but it's got a lot of health aware people very interested.  How smoothly it'll all go with the FDA remains to be seen, I suppose, and I'm curious how smoothly app approval for the Apple Watch will go.  I admittedly don't have terribly high expectations for the first Apple Watch, simply because first gen Apple devices tend to be weak.  Until any of these devices get better battery life and actually become stand alone devices that don't still require a cel phone to get things done, I suspect they will remain wholly niche devices.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2881299/apple-watch-might-be-the-ultimate-health-tracker-with-medical-apps-on-board.html

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 01:46:43 AM »
Orbiting this [sun] at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

I know Douglas Adams wrote that in the 70s referring to the electronic watches that were just becoming popular, but it seems particularly apt now :)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 06:57:38 AM »
Quote from: Duce;786256
If you are unwilling to read a features list or otherwise do not believe it, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.  I'm sure the already released iOS 8.2 update with these said additions in the build logs wouldn't either.

I hate to be blunt here, but things in features lists and press releases/videos, you know - the things that a company like Apple is telling you .....]

I'm not interested in flaming but can I suggest you listen and read what apple are saying again. In all the official articles and videos I have read and seen, which are limited in number. Apple never mention the watch is a medical or even a health device that I have heard/seen. They cleverly only ever mention health in the phrase "Health and Fitness". And they repeat it many times precisely the same way.  Its others who use the term health in isolation.
I don't for a minute suggest that fitness is not an important aspect of hearth or the opposing sedentary lifestyle doesn't have a negative impact on health. Also heartbeat rate can be used in medical determinations especially in the context of activity in the case of the device. All very important aspects.

But diet, genetics/family history and medical conditions all have a major part to play in heath and the health context of an individual; Blood pressure, heart beat pattern graphing(ECG), blood sugar, BMI and weight are also important aspects, all of which are revolutionary features and none of which are natively present.
Of course software can fill some of the gap there but the point I am making is that the watch does not do that natively and offers nothing more as a device than the competitions device at this stage.

That is a missed opportunity dont you think?

Even though its a pretty neat idea. If you have two arms at least.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:07:46 AM by gertsy »

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;786280
I don't for a minute suggest that fitness is not an important aspect of hearth [health] or the opposing sedentary lifestyle doesn't have a negative impact on health. Also heartbeat rate can be used in medical determinations especially in the context of activity in the case of the device. All very important aspects.

But diet, genetics/family history and medical conditions all have a major part to play in heath and the health context of an individual; Blood pressure, heart beat pattern graphing(ECG), blood sugar, BMI and weight are also important aspects, all of which are revolutionary features and none of which are natively present. ... Even though its a pretty neat idea. If you have two arms at least.

Well Gertsy, you are dead-on!   A family history (genetics) of death and disease tells way more than any silly device or simple test. One's BMI tells of cardiovascular (plus some cancer) and diabetes risk (the BMI accounts for weight and height).  Diet, access to medical care (actually accessing it), and life-style all have a huge effect on quality of life and longevity.

Determining your pulse, unless you are passing out from bradycardia or dying of SVT (either end of the spectrum) means nothing -- you can teach any fool to take a pulse even in the midst of heavy exercise.  And only a fool would pay $17,000 for a Gen 1 Apple watch.

Pulse oximetery is important if you are on some other concentration of oxygen than 21% or have COPD, pulmonary hypertension, or pulmonary fibrosis from years of smoking, heart disease or autoimmune disease (respectively), and you still need to bring a piece of skin between the sensor to pass blood through it.

Even if the watch took micro samples of the blood glucose from the sweat, who needs this other than diabetics and binge drinkers.

No watch that runs 18 hours between charges will have any impact on your health unless you are using it to call paramedics to do CPR, something most children above the age of 4 can learn.

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Although I agree with most of your comments, I wouldn't bet ageist Apple, they dont really target the tech guys any more, there market is the mass consumers who just want something that's pretty and simple to use and are not really that interested in the tech sheet. As for the price thats not that surprising consider already there is quite a third party market of jewellers that offer Gold plated iphones etc for up $10,000. I expect Apple to move into this market.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 12:50:45 PM »
"ageist?"

Against?