Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Games and preservation  (Read 2640 times)

Description:

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
Re: Amiga Games and preservation
« Reply #14 from previous page: July 29, 2003, 07:51:18 AM »
If you own a copy of the original, which most of the companies no longer support, and need a pirated version / modified version to use on your machine - I see no harm in it.   :-D

I paid for my software and I expect it to perform.   :-o
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline alx

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2003, 10:04:39 AM »
Sure, I'd love to hear how you got into the Amiga. It sounds like you're a rather late newcomer which is unusual to see these days.

I've basically been using Amigas for as long as I can remember (my brother's A1200), and in the late '90s, I discovered UAE, and copied across the 1.3ROM, disks etc for a bit of nostalgia.  Bear in mind that I hadn't seen OS2 or higher, or even AGA, so I assumed that the Amiga was a great multimedia platform that never did that much later.

Then windoze took the system down leaving me with a few floppies to back stuff up - a lot of the Amiga stuff inclucing the ROM never made it.  So I looked on the net for a 1.3ROM (I'm not sure about the legalities of it, but the A500 was in the attic at that point).  Instead, I got slightly confused and grabbed a 3.1ROM - booted it into UAE and realised that the Amiga had progressed more than I'd thought.  Then I decided to go to Amiga.com - wow - OS3.5 and OS3.9 :-)  (a couple of years ago - no OS4).  I went back a bit later, saw what was happening with the A1/OS4, then tried the URL "amiga.org" :-)   In the meantime, I've grabbed an A1200.

Offline CoolCPUTopic starter

• Show only replies by CoolCPU
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2003, 04:21:19 AM »
alx,

Great story.  I remember when I bought my Amiga 600 and Workbench 2.0 was just awesome.  Too bad it wasn't much of an upgrade from my A500 (I think it was a mistake), but atleast I got to finally use PAL mode and see the bottom of demo screens.  :D

I would love to upgrade my A1200, but I just don't feel it's really worth it now that I have WinUAE - it's so much faster than what I had before.

Offline Stew

• Show only replies by Stew
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2003, 07:02:58 AM »
cool cpu: do u pirate dvd's just because u dont have a region free dvd player also==???

Some laws are stupid and need to be changed. Ask anyone in west Texas about driving 55 on I-10. Anyone who drove 56 is as guilty as those who buy a DVD and make it region free for their own use.

Stew