Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Maguire's Topic on retro feelings  (Read 363 times)

Description:

Offline hbarcellosTopic starter

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
Maguire's Topic on retro feelings
« on: January 18, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »
I decided to ask this question here, as the Amiga community seems to be more active than other similar retro communities I participate.

It's kind of a philosophical question with a possible Maguire effect:

Why we keep insisting on Retro computing? Why we care? Why we force ourselves to use old hardware with expensive new software to accomplish something even a $50 USD machine would do better?

It's clearly not as funny as it was back in the original days.

To me, looks like a mix of drug addiction (users of some kind of drugs say that they're always trying to get the same feeling of their first dose) with the experiences we had during those years.

Maybe AMIGA was the only thing stable we had in those days....

Anyway, would love to hear some sincere opinions...

BR
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
Re: Maguire's Topic on retro feelings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »
very simple and it comes down to 3 letters...F U N

had lots of it back in the day with my C64 and Amigas and today I still use them because of that 3 letter word.:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Aegis

• Show only replies by Aegis
    • http://www.survivorfilms.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
I think it's a combination of things - certainly nostalgia's one of them and the Amiga has some wonderful, original games and demos that are as entertaining today as they were back then.

I think the OS has aged incredibly well in some respects - it still (to me) represents the best fusion of technical underpinnings and user-friendly design. Things like datatypes, assigns, dosdrivers and the Amiga's simple way of installing software are still things I love about the OS.

Back in the day I knew AmigaOS inside and out and a lot of my daily use was a 50/50 mix of UI and the CLI - I just don't work that way with computers any more and to be honest, I kinda miss it.

I was also a big fan of apps like DPaint and Brilliance - in fact I still think they've yet to be bettered for pixel/bitmap art.

All change isn't necessarily for the better.
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
Think it is the same as asking someone who restores classic cars and collects them, why?  Just like them for one it is memories, back to the "good ole days" of sorts.  Second it is the fun of restoring (sometimes) old hardware, but also there are a ton of great software out there and the true multi-tasking is still something that a lot of computers lack still.  These computers still can serve a multitude of uses today like word processing, video editing/creation, music creation, game/entertainment.  Now days seems the fun factor of games takes a backside to its looks/graphics and original ideas for most are pretty much non-existent.  I think also there is a huge sense of pride in the users of Amiga's as we were on the cutting edge of computing that shaped computers into what they are today.  Desktop publishing for instance was one factor, online gameplay of sorts (multiplayer across a modem like Firepower or Falcon), 3D graphics and gameplay, music creation versus the clicks and pops of current PCs of the day, video production (Toaster, DCTV ect).  The Amiga helped to open the door to what has evolved to standards today and in some peoples opinion still can produce some beautiful results in comparison.  Retro Computing is about the love and history of computers, supporting the ideas from the past that built a future and keeping the original love and feeling alive that we felt when we younger and at the forefront of technology!

Offline dovegrace

• Committed Git
    • Show only replies by dovegrace
    • http://dovegrace.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:56 PM »
I do it for the challenge, but also out of boredom.  While I could fire up Inkscape, GIMP, etc on my multi-core Linux box, it's more fun and challenging to create stuff on my Amiga using Brilliance and ImageFX.

That, and I can't really be arsed to move my A1200 from my desk in favour of said Linux box...
A1200: 50mhz GVP Jaws II+, OS 3.1, 32mb Fast, 1gb HD, Indivision MKIICR, PCMCIA network
A4000D: stock 030/25, OS 3.9, 16mb Fast, 1gb HD, Picasso II, Ariadne II, IOExtender

Offline kreciu

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »
It is one of this hobbies where you can make a sandwiches (A1200+ other things), spend some hours to make it work (some beer is nice), install Workbench (configure all software to make it work as it "should") etc. etc.

For me it is less about software/system, I work and play on PC (with exception of Canon Fodder), it is more about getting new hardware combination to see how this will work.

I have Color Classic and this computer (for me is boring), sure there is Mystic update etc. and nothing more. With Amiga there is sufficient number of combinations to spend some time.

Additionally there is some soldering to be done etc. and I really, really like Amiga software installers e.g. Choose folder where you want to install software (new folder will NOT be created)? Genius! (In general installation of Amiga software is amazing). O wait, I can use Dopus to copy manual all this stuff... and "install" software.

No, other people who don't know about Amiga DO NOT see VALUE in it. Go and show your $1000 worth Amiga to your friends (who are happy with new cell phone) and wait for excitement in their eyes. No excitement? Oh well... You just spend $1000 on useless hardware. I think it would be better to buy a bike for a $1000?

PS. I was going to start similar topic :).
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD