Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta  (Read 5761 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
Anyone playing around with the MS Windows 8 consumer beta?  I've loaded it on an X86 tablet and it definitely has potential.  The screen keyboard is in the right place more than half the time, the gestures work and make as much sense as the gestures on any other tablet device.  There aren't many tablet specific programs, it's a pain to use MS Word on it.

My first reaction was where was the ()$%$#((# Windows ball?????   But it isn't needed on a tablet and would just be an annoyance.  I have yet to try it on a desktop but every gesture seems to have a mouse equivalent (I tried a mouse before I learned the gestures) and it's fairly easy to get to your programs.  You just need to unlearn some of the conventions that were added with Windows 95.  I'd give it a 3.5 on a scale of 1 to 5, higher when the bugs are worked out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Re: MS Windows 8 Consumer Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
Quote from: persia;682145
My first reaction was where was the ()$%$#((# Windows ball?????

What is a "Windows ball"?

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:42 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;682147
What is a "Windows ball"?

The button on the task bar that opens up the start menu. Start button as other people call it. LMAO. I suppose start button is a stupid name considering Windows is already running.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
Got it, YAWN, tiles are great on my kitchen floor, not so much for my OS. Here comes Vista 2.0.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401064,00.asp

For a long time M$ has been missing it's best feature (Billy Gates). Like him or not, without him MS is doomed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:06:32 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
Quote from: Transition;682153
Got it, YAWN, tiles are great in my kitchen, not so much for my OS. Here comes Vista 2.0.

Nah, you need voice recognition in your kitchen or you get pancake mix all over the screen when your touching the tiles....

..that wasn't what you meant was it?

But seriously, I agree with you. Windows 8 does not have me convinced.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
I understand it on tablets and phones. And I know you will be able to switch to a more standard view on desktops and non-touch screen monitor setups.

I hate what they have done to Xbox dashboard
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:46 PM »
Quote from: JJ;682173
I hate what they have done to Xbox dashboard

+1!!!!!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
Yeah - I hear ya on the xbox dashboard.  You know who doesn't hate the new xbox dashboard?  My wife.

These ugly interfaces are focus grouped to DEATH.  I won't call it Vista, and I will refuse to buy it for myself most likely, but it is the future.  Its the future for the computer as appliance generation -- we are not that generation.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
I always thought it was more a way of trying to validate paying $150 for the stupid motion sensor.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;682180
Yeah - I hear ya on the xbox dashboard.  You know who doesn't hate the new xbox dashboard?  My wife.

These ugly interfaces are focus grouped to DEATH.  I won't call it Vista, and I will refuse to buy it for myself most likely, but it is the future.  Its the future for the computer as appliance generation -- we are not that generation.

Yes, those types of interfaces might be the future. CDTV started that trend, one of the CDTV guys actually works for the xbox division. It's very doubtful that MS will capture that computer as an appliance future. Apple already dominates it and GoogleTV is nice too. Lets not forget Android which sells and sells.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:29:08 PM by SysAdmin »
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »
Well, yeah, the XBox 360 dashboard update has not been a favorite of mine, either.  (Though, to be fair, I haven't used it with Kinect.)  But, in general, I was having a very hard time trying to wrap my brain around what Microsoft is trying to accomplish with the Metro interface.  

I ended up having a bit of time I could allocate to testing at work, and I threw the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a smallish average laptop (i3, 4GB RAM, Intel GMA), to see if I could make more sense of things.

Short answer: I think I understand Metro more. But I don't think I've seen a good implementation of it, yet.

The W8 preview feels like a complete hack-job. It is almost two competing operational management systems that are stuck together because neither one quite accomplishes everything it sets out to do.

I can see that I could actually like the new Metro home. I'm starting to "get" this a bit. Like the XBox dashboard, it does still feel disorganized.  But I think I could sort it out in my brain, and come up with some useful layouts, here. It's in serious need of more live widgets, though. Why isn't my email an actual email window? Show me my most recent message headers, here. Same with the messaging and social networking stuff. And why isn't my Internet Explorer URL shortcut an actual Internet Explorer instance? Show me the webpage, not a big logo. If my Android device easily has enough horsepower to do this, I don't see why W8 can't. Why don't I have a persistent "Back" button to get out of applications in the Metro interface? All I can do is go back to home, and then close them from the finicky sidebar.  

I think Microsoft is trying to remove the idea of application management from the user experience.  And (I haven't tried it, yet) but I've heard that W8 will cull idle backgrounded applications as it needs to...  But I'm a bit paranoid about privacy and like to actually close things I'm done with.  And, aside from security, being able to easily close things I'm done with should help ensure that the OS won't automatically cull the browser session I left backgrounded because I wanted to wait until later to read that interesting article I accidentally found.  

And, outside Metro, the old desktop is still there, like a strange relic. Except it feels like it's half missing, as there's no start menu launcher, anymore. It almost feels like an old Unix X session without a Window Manager, now. There's just an empty translucent bar with IE and Windows Explorer pinned to it, for some reason. It makes for a strange breaking point separated from the modern context. I suppose you could do like all my users do, and just create shortcuts for all your applications on the desktop (or pin them to the bar)... But, it just seems like a really clunky solution.

So, I guess my biggest gripe is rather ironic. Even though this is one of the largest interface overhauls Microsoft has ever done... And I know how much users are resistant to change... I don't think Microsoft overhauled nearly enough to pull this one off successfully.

ETA: I struck out a part of this post.  I was having problems with Windows 8 syncing my Live and Local accounts.  Turns out the PC clock wasn't set, and this was causing Windows to fail authorization, as well as causing all syncs to fail.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:40:37 PM by Ilwrath »

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
I tried Win8 back when it was the developer test.  

It blows.  It's annoying.

Screw tablets and screw touchey poke interfaces.

the clear move to try and make traditional computing obsolete in favor of this mobile horse **** is well, horse ****.  Why is the standard Windows style setup sort of thrown in the backseat?  

It wasn't designed with keyboard heavy use in mind.

I'm waiting for them to say "oh we got rid of cmd.exe. you dont need to type any of that in. just poke everything, it'll do it for you"

The whole thing feels like a gimmick.  Screw that.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Tripitaka

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;682190
Screw tablets

I like tablets, but only ones that run proper art apps. That's because I'm an artist of course, I see little other use for them beyond the digital easel.

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
I actually tried it. Wow, another milestone in GUI inconsistency. On the pro side I found that it installs remarkably fast. But then again, I uninstalled it even faster. :D

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I installed it under VM Fusion on my Mac, and it's absolutely awful as a desktop OS. I had to install mouse drivers. Mouse drivers! PCs haven't had to deal with that since early DOS. And the driver package left 5 new icons on my metro panel. Such clutter! And if I remove them, the file system is so masked that I don't know where I'd find them if I needed access to them at some future point.  

Also like DOS, there's no multitasking. At least, it's almost impossible to tell from the metro interface what's running. I find navigating within metro programs to be extremely difficult as well. I'll give this another few hours of experimentation, then it's going in the proverbial trash.

On the plus side, it's making me use my Amiga more!