Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most loved and most hated consoles?  (Read 6452 times)

Description:

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
Re: Most loved and most hated consoles?
« Reply #59 from previous page: May 17, 2010, 08:30:53 PM »
I like a lot of the 360 games, but wouldn't buy a machine that I know is going to give me grief in a years time.

I haven't played Lost Levels, but I intend to download it on my Wii.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
I suppose I can count my beloved Atari 8-bit as there was the XEGS! :)

As for the Dreamcast, my one wish is that they would have made a controller with the buttons on the LEFT and the Analog on the RIGHT so that those FPS's wouldn't be so damn impossible for me to control.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
I'm not much of a console fan, to be honest.  I've mostly played games on computers, running from C64 -> Amiga -> Windows.  Of the current generation, I've somehow ended up with two consoles, though, and have both likes and dislikes for both of them.

Wii - this thing is such a mixed bag, it's not even funny.  
The good:
* Innovative controls - I like the WiiRemote, and it works well in various conditions.  
* Less intimidation - My wife actually bought the Wii for WiiFit, but will play other games on it as well, as there's less buttons and axis to freak her out.  
* Wireless access and Opera internet browser.  This is probably the most used feature on the Wii at my house.  I just wish the browser could be in 1080 to see text/images clearer.  Also, a more modern version of Flash would be nice, but I guess I should be glad I have any, unlike iPad owners.  ;)
The bad:
* It has no hard disk, so storing downloads would be a problem, provided it had any larger than some small WiiWare titles and repackaged nostalgia cash-ins.
* No built-in media player capabilities.  Would be cool to play MP3 and video off file shares, or even USB.  (I believe you can browse pictures off USB, though.)
* Friend codes are a pain in the butt.
* Last gen graphics, with no 720 or 1080 modes.  It will acknowledge wide-screen 16:9 480p, but it's still not pretty, especially after looking at either an X360 or PS3.  
* Poor control schemes; so many titles don't effectively use the Wii Remote as anything other than a clumsy two-piece joystick.  The nunchuck is almost always just used as an analog joystick cop-out or shake-toy.
* Shovelware - Egads!  Crap titles abound.  Most of Nintendo's own titles are pretty good, but the number of 3rd party titles that aren't complete garbage can probably be counted by the fingers on one hand.

I also have an XBox 360 - it's a little easier to figure out what I like and dislike, here.
The Good:
* Games - a true wealth of great 1st and 3rd party titles.  Many at great prices out of the Platinum Collection.
* XBox Live - Good game matchmaking / much easier friending
* XBox Marketplace - Good choices for downloads, plus many free skins and whatnot to change up your menus when you get bored.
The Bad:
* The joysticks aren't best thought-out devices in the world.  A quick switch to press (A) button can often result in a bumped (Start) button.  It gets less hits as you get more used to the controllers, but it still happens now and then.  My thumb is just big enough that hitting the center of (A) also bumps the corner of (Start).  I have calibrated myself to hit the right side of (A) but occasionally still miss it slightly and hit center of it.  Usually at the most inopportune time.
* The console itself is loud, chunky, and unreliable.  RRoD is always a fear in the back of the mind.
* The Microsoft factor.  They are a monopolistic company that only provides improvement when forced to.  If they're allowed to dominate console gaming, it will likely stagnate like Windows and Office have.

Offline KThunder

• Show only replies by KThunder
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »
...clumsy two-piece joystick...

I agree with most of what you said, the "two piece joystick" thing I actually really like. I like that in many games I dont have to have my hands right togther in a carpel tunnel aching position for long periods of time. I can have the remote blasting stuff on screen or whatever and the nunchuck resting on the arm rest or on my lap. Most of the good games have multiple control schemes.

My brother says I have "ogre hands" so the remote nunchuck thing really helps.

There is a real lot of shovelware but it doesn't really bother me because there are some real gems in there and Game Informer or any of the other good game mags will find them for you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:33:57 PM by KThunder »
Oh yeah?!?
Well your stupid bit is set,
and its read only!
(my best geek putdown)

Offline Xenobiotical

• Show only replies by Xenobiotical
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
Most loved?

Commodore 64 GS : have a look on http://www.retrocommodore.com to see my wonderful Commodore 64 Game System ;)

All the best

Carlo

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »
Quote from: RMK305;559079
Are we talking about the original Super Mario Bros 2 that was released in Japan, known in the west as Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels, or Doki Doki Panic with the characters changed to the characters from Mario?
?

We're English speakers.  I'm talking about the Doki Doki Panic rehash.

I dont think Amiga_nut likes nintendo enough to give any Japanese games that he can't read a fair shot. lol
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline mdv2000

• Show only replies by mdv2000
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 05:10:10 AM »
Favorite consoles (in no particular order):

Currently my Xbox 360 is great - Gears of War and the Call of Duty games are awesome.  Xbox live is really nice.  Microsoft has developed something I really like!

*Sega Genesis - Street Figher 2 CE and Mortal Kombat ruled. This system had so many games and the first console to take me away from pure amiga gaming.  Heck it had the same processor and little better graphics than my A500!

Sega Dreamcast - Soul Calibur, Tomb Raider, Virtua Tennis and Crazy Taxi are just awesome!  This system was so underrated... shame MS and Sega couldn't keep there deal together... if sega did the hardware and MS kept their OS, the Xboxes today could be known for quality hardware.  You can't kill a sega system - unless you pour water on it!

*PS1 - I never got tired of the Original Tomb Raider and Tekken games.

PS2 - Some good FPS and God of War changed gaming for everyone - and really showed the hardware had been under utilized for years.

Xbox 1 - Have you played Black, Ninja Gaiden or Halo(s) ?- those games made this one of the best used console purchases I ever made!  

*NES - I still remember all the maps in Zelda

Colecovision - nothing but love for one of the great originals... still got it in a closet somewhere!  I also loved all the old atari consoles.  I had a 2600 and 7800 and only the colecovision was better to me than the those at the time.  Of course, my C64 kicked all of their buts until my Amiga arrived, but we are talking consoles - not great gaming PCs!

Gamecube - another great used deal and I actually liked Mario Sunshine.  And I can play Mario Tennis ALL day long!  

Note: * means I bought it new - didn't wait for used or discounted.  

Least favorite:

Wii - The Super Mario Galaxy was great, but there is a real lack of "GREAT" titles and since I could make a profit when I sold it - so I did.  I'll wait till I can get one for $50 before playing SMG2, etc.  

Sega Saturn - Virtual Fighter sucked so I stayed away. I just didn't like the Sega titles at the time... nothing stood out as amazing to me and the PS1 launch titles where more impressive.  If I ever come across a deal on a used one with a bunch of games I'll give it another chance, but until then it stays on my least favorite list.

N64 - games too damn expensive and the graphics sucked, besides the PS1 kicked its ass.

SNES - pretty graphics but sports games and fight games played "slower" than on my Genesis - so my friends with SNES just lost out!

Also, I want to add a prediction - Console gaming is about have another decline.  The main reason I have played more console than PC over the last few years is  because I could always get console used games for a lot less.  After about 3 months a $60 console game can usually be had for less than $30 via ebay or CAG. On the PC it usually has to be a sucky game to get that deal that fast.  

But, with the onset of digital distribution and new games coming with one time only codes - that when you buy the used game you have to pay an additional $10 to reactivate multiplayer/online then you are essential killing the  used market.

So why not just join Steam and get many of the same features Xbox live and PSN give without annual fees (Xbox live Gold anyway) along with instant buy and install?
Mike Valverde
---------------------------------
"Only AMIGA makes it possible!"

A2000HD +A2630+ w/8MB+500MB SCSI HD
 + Buddha IDE + 1.3 and 3.1 ROM (WB 3.1)

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
Quote from: KThunder;559041
Nintendo is the last great gaming company left. No offence intended to Sony or MS but they can put huge amounts of money into development etc. from other company sales, not on their own merit.  Where would the xbox be right now without millions from os and office sales. where would the ps3 be without millions from other electronics sales.
Nintendo imo deserves respect for competing in this market, on their own merrit, and not only that but succeeding. They have always taken flack for strong kids titles and hopefully always will. I'm a mario, zelda, and metroid fan and my kids love pokemon.

I think "hardcore" games suck and are no fun. running around like a maniac shooting anything that moves and dying hundreds of times? no thanks.

For his tenth birthday I bought my son a Gamecube.  All his mates had PS2's and Xboxes.  They'd come over just to play Mario Kart 4 player, Super Smash Brothers, Fifa, Warioware, Mario Party, F-Zero GX, Mario tennis..  And then they'd take turns in Resident Evil 4,.  But it wasn't "cool" to have a Gamecube.

IMO games ARE about fun, and competing with REAL friends.  How many FPS's do you need to play in your lifetime?

People say not many third party titles that are any good on Nintendo consoles. Even IF that was true, a Wii or Gamecube has enough AAA Nintendo titles to justify the price of the console.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 05:59:05 AM »
Most loved:
Playstation.  Tons of ground breaking games.  FFVII, Gran Tursimo, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Blade, Resident Evil, etc.  Bought my PS 2 days after US release (9/11/95) and still have it!  My brother and I played the heck out of Ridge Racer for the first month.

Most hated:
Gamecube.  Bought on release date.  This was a real disappointment in the long run.  So few third party games worth playing, no network support, etc.  (Yes, I know PS didn't have network, but the gamecube's contemporaries did...)

BTW, both haven't aged well when viewed on HD screens.  PS1 looks good on PSP though!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:02:08 AM by adolescent »
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 03:21:30 PM »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
Quote from: Tajmaster;558786
The Dreamcast has to be one of my all time favourties. Like Lurch I have most of the accessories mint in box, at one point I had them ALL!
I also adore the Dreamcast.

Dreamcast
Megadrive
Master System
NES
SNES
PSX
PS2
PSP (when it's hacked anyway)
Xbox
Xbox 360
Atari 2600

Hates:

N64
Gamecube
32X (thanks to it's games)
Original Gameboy
Quickshot Supervision
Atari 5200
Jaguar CD
Philips CD-i

Can't think of anymore, all the ones I havn't listed are ones I neither like or hate.

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »
Loved?

TurboGrafx - 16 or PC Engine is it more commonly known.

First system with CD-Rom technology!!  

TurboGrafx is like the Amiga of the video game world.  It really was an amazing piece of hardware.  Well, thought out for it time with lots of expansions, yet is mostly forgotten by everybody.

TurboGrafx has some really amazing games (especially graphics wise on CD) and it has some real crap games.  But it was like the Amiga in that way too, as it seemed anybody that wanted to make games for it could and did.  

Others I loved,
2nd would probably be SNES
NES of course will always have a place in my heart.
N64
Wii
CD32 (I miss you!)

I never owned a Dreamcast but I wish I had.  The graphics are amazing for it's time.
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
Quote from: stefcep2;559251
For his tenth birthday I bought my son a Gamecube.  All his mates had PS2's and Xboxes.  They'd come over just to play Mario Kart 4 player, Super Smash Brothers, Fifa, Warioware, Mario Party, F-Zero GX, Mario tennis..  And then they'd take turns in Resident Evil 4,.  But it wasn't "cool" to have a Gamecube.

IMO games ARE about fun, and competing with REAL friends.  How many FPS's do you need to play in your lifetime?

Hell, half the reason I still spend so much time on amiga games is 2 player games.

Offline Tajmaster

• Show only replies by Tajmaster
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaHeretic;559373
Loved?

TurboGrafx - 16 or PC Engine is it more commonly known.

First system with CD-Rom technology!!

TurboGrafx is like the Amiga of the video game world. It really was an amazing piece of hardware. Well, thought out for it time with lots of expansions, yet is mostly forgotten by everybody.

TurboGrafx has some really amazing games (especially graphics wise on CD) and it has some real crap games. But it was like the Amiga in that way too, as it seemed anybody that wanted to make games for it could and did.

Others I loved,
2nd would probably be SNES
NES of course will always have a place in my heart.
N64
Wii
CD32 (I miss you!)

I never owned a Dreamcast but I wish I had. The graphics are amazing for it's time.

The graphics on a DC still arent that bad :)
==================
Amiga 4000/040 25Mhz - 18MB Ram-HDD-CDRW- Picasso 2 2MB GFX OS3.9
Amiga 2000/030 25Mhz - 10MB Ram - GVP HC+8 with HDD and CDROM OS3.1 and a DKB MEGAChip
Amiga 1200/030 50Mhz - 18MB Ram - CF>IDE OS3.1 Squirrel SCSI
A500+ 000/7Mhz - 4MB Ram GVP HD+ SCSI w/40MB HDD (WOW!!)
Plus a "few" more ;) hehe
==================