Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 32822 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

Re: New AGA SDL Development
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 04:18:39 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;734085
NovaCoder, like lighting and shading for example? Hey NovaCoder...can I donate a petition to port that Zelda game to AGA the one Fishy_fis replied to my post?

Yes, at the moment I'm only including the bare minimum to port Descent Rebirth to AGA (and obviously talking into consideration good performance).

I think I might need to make some changes to accommodate NetSurf AGA, not sure yet.

Not sure about that Zelda game, I'm too busy at the moment.   Maybe someone else can have a look at porting it using this new library.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 05:48:40 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;733965
This library is already being used to port NetSurf to AGA :)

my A1200 has 80MB of RAM. do I need to figure out a way to add more? any idea how much RAM it will need?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 05:53:58 AM by bbond007 »

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 05:57:32 AM »
Quote from: bbond007;734120
my A1200 has 80MB of RAM. do I need to figure out a way to add more? any idea how much RAM it will need?

You have way more than I do or could ever imagine! I need to cough up 300 bucks to get an additional 32 MB to maximize to 64 MB. Oh...I am going to save up so much money to make my A1200 have 64 MB..I will finally be able to play Quake 2 :D :D

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:33 AM »
Just thinking about this some more, this is a really cool thing to have for AGA machines. I understand that at the moment Novacoders motivation in doing this AGA SDL version is to make it easier for doing other software ports, but it really has potential to develop over time.
Im not the worlds greatest amiga os "native" coder, but I do have a fair bit of experience with porting SDL apps to AmgaOS/AROS, and Im sure Im not the only one with the knowledge to do the same. If even a handful of people are interested enough to give Novacoder feedback that he decides is worthwhile looking into (or even anyone else with the skills to work on the "core" AGA SDL), we have a potential inroad to quite a bit of new software.
Granted there's a lot of "average" SDL software out there, and hardware requirements would also need to be considered, but it still opens up a nice selection of potential "new" games and apps for AGA machines.

@AmigaClassicRule
I'm busy with DGen (megadrive emu) at the moment, but I'll try to find some time later tonight to have a look at least.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;734121
You have way more than I do or could ever imagine! I need to cough up 300 bucks to get an additional 32 MB to maximize to 64 MB. Oh...I am going to save up so much money to make my A1200 have 64 MB..I will finally be able to play Quake 2 :D :D

The problem is finding RAM that fits in the Blizzard1260 and SCSI module. Now I have a 64 and a 16 in the SCSI. both are difficult to find fitting RAM.

Was not expensive though. I think the 64 was $20 or so... I really dont run out, but I could see a browser using more than 80mb.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;734122
Just thinking about this some more, this is a really cool thing to have for AGA machines. I understand that at the moment Novacoders motivation in doing this AGA SDL version is to make it easier for doing other software ports, but it really has potential to develop over time.
Im not the worlds greatest amiga os "native" coder, but I do have a fair bit of experience with porting SDL apps to AmgaOS/AROS, and Im sure Im not the only one with the knowledge to do the same. If even a handful of people are interested enough to give Novacoder feedback that he decides is worthwhile looking into (or even anyone else with the skills to work on the "core" AGA SDL), we have a potential inroad to quite a bit of new software.
Granted there's a lot of "average" SDL software out there, and hardware requirements would also need to be considered, but it still opens up a nice selection of potential "new" games and apps for AGA machines.

@AmigaClassicRule
I'm busy with DGen (megadrive emu) at the moment, but I'll try to find some time later tonight to have a look at least.

Thank you Fishy_fiz. That is all I am asking. I swear I will donate you money when you manage to port that Zelda (from aminet) to AGA!

Offline utri007

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
What you need to rewrite depends a game. I would say that with Descent there will be quite fwe SDL stuff left, you will need to rewrite 3D routnes anyway, with Zelda it could be much easier and more meaningful.

But please note, that 68k is very weak cpu nowadays, so every frame counts. I really wish that you succeed, but I have some doubts how it will perform.

Nothing is more annoying that app/game that works... almost. They are just proof of consepts, not a usefull games/apps. Another point is that you purpose is port software for real amigas and is not meaningful to have game that requires 060/64mb when it should work just fine with 030/16mb
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline apj

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:33 AM »
I have quickly compiled Zelda 3T as I already have sources because I've released it for RTG.
So far opens black screen only, need to look more.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
I do not see it so pessimistic even if would have higher hardware requirements. There is the FPGA Arcade with 060 daughterboard and I think the hardware base even at real classic hardware users will rise from what it is now (I think 030 + AGA). Many others use emulation where speed is not a real problem. I have some of (or better almost all :-) ) "Amiga-Magazin" and even at that time (1990-1997) there were games who needed higher than average hardware (expecially 3D games) or AGA (in a time where A500 still was standard for gaming. I think the need that games had to run on slow hardware decently (because most users had A500 with two disc drives and no HD) was one of the reasons for the decline of the amiga-platform (perhaps even the most important one). We should not do the same mistake again.

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 12:32:05 PM »
Quote from: apj;734132
I have quickly compiled Zelda 3T as I already have sources because I've released it for RTG.

Thank you apj. :) I really appreciate the effort in converting it to AGA!

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
Quote from: apj;734132

Cool, another one using the library :)

Are you using my latest one from this thread -> a thread

It's still very early in development, probably loads of bugs :)

For the next release I'll do a special DEBUG build with logging enabled so you can see what's going on.

First thing I would check though is to call SDL_GetError() after you call SDL_Init()

Code: [Select]
if( SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0 ) {
fprintf(stderr, &quot;Could not initialize SDL: %s\\n&quot;,
SDL_GetError());
  return -1;
}

There's also an example program on the project thread over on EAB, that will give you some ideas.

I've just been looking at NetSurf AGA, got a few things to try and speed it up.   The killer is going to be resolution, you can't got for big screen sizes in AGA without it grinding to a halt.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:58:52 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 12:59:09 PM »
I had a blank screen on aros vision too (when starting the test program). It would be fine if some of your great applications would work on aros 68k too.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;734147
I had a blank screen on aros vision too (when starting the test program). It would be fine if some of your great applications would work on aros 68k too.

That's odd, the test program really isn't doing much.   Does any of my recent AGA stuff work on AROS 68k, can you see if you get a blank screen with AmiQuake?

Is the screen grey or black?
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
I have the newest version at home (and not in office) and will test it then and report

Offline chris

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;734081
To me probably the most exciting thing is the Netsurf port i'm dying for decent browser for my a1200.

Sadly it'll be the crappy framebuffer interface.  It's a step in the right direction, at least.

A decent AGA version of SDL is pretty cool though.
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline apj

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 09, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
Nova is sound enabled in your lib ?
Zelda gives me :
"SDL_AudioInit: Select the proper audio driver"