Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hi all,

The PSU in my beloved (and heavily-upgraded) Amiga 2000 is clearly on the way out. As of now the machine will power up, but all I can get is the power LED pulsing from bright to dim over and over. It's done this before but usually "letting it warm up" for a few minutes in the pulsing-state would get it to fully boot up, but that's no longer the case. In the interest of making the system run better (especially with lots of cards and internal upgrades), I'm going to replace the tired old PSU with a modern one, using this kit which I've just ordered.

The kit page says that it will work with nearly any standard ATX power supply, but of course there's a lot of variations from brand to brand, model to model, and the only specific one they recommend doesn't seem to be available anymore.

If any of you have done an ATX mod on an Amiga 2000 and has a recommendation for a relatively decent power supply which is still available, I'd be very grateful!

Huxley

PS Obviously there are plenty of other things which can cause a vintage computer to fail. I don't know for certain that my issue will be resolved by a PSU swap, but I doubt it will hurt. If anyone has suggestions on other things I should be trying, I'm all ears!
I have and Amiga 3000D that I purchased a BigRAMPlus card for.  It is currently configured to softkick Kickstart 3.1.  When I put in the memory card to the Zorro slot at bootup it says that the card is defective.  I assumed that is was because I was using 1.4 to softkick 3.1.  So I purchased new 3.1 ROMs and installed them.  All I got was a black screen.  The installation picture provided by the vendor shows a different version of the motherboard than mine.  I have Rev 6.1. 

The example picture shows bare solder pads where the ROM jumpers are supposed to be. Mine has Jumpers J180 and J181 both jumpered 2-3. Do I need to remove these?

I have the Alpha 5 ROMs in sockets U182 and U183 on my Rev 6.1 board where example board is bare solder pads. Are any special modifications required? Because pulling out my ROMs (or should I have left them in?) and putting the 3.1 ROMs in U180 and U181 simply did not work.

If someone who has done this before can give me some tips I would appreciate it.
@sheepz

Just to throw this into the mix…

If you have a SCSI setup. Then there is now a way to do Wireless Networking with a BlueSCSI V2. I have obtained this with the necessary controller. When I get chance will see If I can get it to work with my B1260+MKIV SCSI or even my BPPC + SCSI setup.

Obviously the wifipi is now getting closer as well…

@mykrowyre, I've seen this to varying degrees and it has varied for me by screen and connection. Sorry if I've missed it on previous posts but how do you connect e.g. RF modulator, composite, RGB, and to what type of screen?
I have a 1D4 mainboard, and I have this annoying problem that the screen flickers and become a little wavy with any disk access. The floppy drive tick will cause the screen to jump, especially when inserting or removing disks.

I'm aware of the A1200 "flicker fix" on the Video DAC reference line where a cap is installed to make sure the 1.2V is clean.  That cap always exists on my board, and the 1.2V is clean and does not have any trace of noise.

The 5V rail however which runs the floppy drive is very noisy.  Each time the drive ticks the voltage dips.  When the floppy tick is disabled (sticking a disk in), the screen stops jumping, but is still wavy any time I'm accessing the HD so the noise on 5V is still there just not as bad.

Since the 5V rail is used to pull up the Horizontal and Vertical sync pins, I think this may be where the video is being effected as 5V rail sags.

I've tried placing various capacitors across that 5V line to ground but it seems to have no effect at all.

I thought it might be the power supply, so I removed my accelerator and it didn't seem to have any effect on voltage. 

Obviously it still could be a the power supply.

I considered that I could have a bad floppy drive which is pulling excess current, but even when unplugged the screen is wavy on HD disk access.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks

Hi,

Simple answer is “Yes”, have had this even on a Rev 1D1 mainboard. The answer maybe that the top RF shielding is needed. Or the drive motor has become too noisy on the drive.
Is the drive by chance a Panasonic one?

I have a 1D4 mainboard, and I have this annoying problem that the screen flickers and become a little wavy with any disk access. The floppy drive tick will cause the screen to jump, especially when inserting or removing disks.

I'm aware of the A1200 "flicker fix" on the Video DAC reference line where a cap is installed to make sure the 1.2V is clean.  That cap always exists on my board, and the 1.2V is clean and does not have any trace of noise.

The 5V rail however which runs the floppy drive is very noisy.  Each time the drive ticks the voltage dips.  When the floppy tick is disabled (sticking a disk in), the screen stops jumping, but is still wavy any time I'm accessing the HD so the noise on 5V is still there just not as bad.

Since the 5V rail is used to pull up the Horizontal and Vertical sync pins, I think this may be where the video is being effected as 5V rail sags.

I've tried placing various capacitors across that 5V line to ground but it seems to have no effect at all.

I thought it might be the power supply, so I removed my accelerator and it didn't seem to have any effect on voltage. 

Obviously it still could be a the power supply.

I considered that I could have a bad floppy drive which is pulling excess current, but even when unplugged the screen is wavy on HD disk access.

Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks

Hey, so I found the issue. Was a bit of a guess in the end, but it worked. Ill be releasing a video on the whole saga in the next few days

Basically, although the card does NOT need a Super Buster 11 from Factory, because of historical upgrades to the card, it now DOES.

With the Super Buster 9 in place, it manifested numerous subtle issues, mainly in the form of Checksum errors, but mainly, drives would not mount, or mount infrequently and not work.

Originally, I was going to do a video on a SCSI CD-Rom, disk swapper app, but considering the gip I have had with this card, I think it makes more sense to video document THAT journey first.

Interesting to note. Look forward to your video 👍🏻

Make sure you post a link on here. I have subscribed, so hopefully I should get a YouTube notification for it 🤔

Hey, so I found the issue. Was a bit of a guess in the end, but it worked. Ill be releasing a video on the whole saga in the next few days

Basically, although the card does NOT need a Super Buster 11 from Factory, because of historical upgrades to the card, it now DOES.

With the Super Buster 9 in place, it manifested numerous subtle issues, mainly in the form of Checksum errors, but mainly, drives would not mount, or mount infrequently and not work.

Originally, I was going to do a video on a SCSI CD-Rom, disk swapper app, but considering the gip I have had with this card, I think it makes more sense to video document THAT journey first.
A600 GS / Re: Welcome to the A600GS forum
« Last post by AmigaBruno on April 22, 2024, 04:56:21 PM »
This product is now late, after announcements that it would be released in Q1 2024! No price has been mentioned either. Apart from the 9 pin joystick ports, is it any better than an A500 Mini?

My main problem with the A500 Mini is that there seems to be no Workbench system which enables files to be exported or imported. They're just closed lha files with no Internet connection. I haven't updated the firmware yet because of Pandory, but I now plan to, because there are new Pandory versions. This might enable me to run an ADF based Workbench, then save files onto blank ADFs. 

As for including a new version of Personal Paint, it seems there's no proper, detailed manual for Personal Paint anywhere! This is why I've hardly used it.

In some recent graphics conversions from Internet downloads of jpeg files from my MacBook onto my Amiga A1200 using Personal Paint, I only had 128 or 256 colours available, but the original files contained about 16,800,000 colours, which is about the same as the Amiga A1200 palette! From the list of display modes in the old Personal Paint, it has no HAM modes.

I wonder how I could just convert my reduced resolution jpeg files from the Internet into IFF files that can be loaded into Deluxe Paint with its detailed manuals?

I have finally managed to find and download a manual for Deluxe Paint V, but this is in German only, which I have managed to learn from BBC courses, as well as Berlitz, Conversaphone, "Amiga Magazin" and watching lots of German TV via satellite and streaming. I'm trying to create some artwork in the HAM8 modes, but I'm having problems with my 23 PIN Video port to SCART connected TV often showing a "No signal" message when one of various graphics modes is selected. All the necessary drivers seem to be installed under Monitors, though.

These comprise of the full colour preview and excerpts of our Amiga Future issue 168 (May/June 2024) which can also be viewed online on the Amiga Future website.

We did it again. :) The Amiga Future now has 4 more pages.

Some of the interesting articles in this issue are:

Interview David John Pleasance
Interview Steve Quartly and Paul Huxham (PhotoFolio)
Special SmallWeb
Demoscene: Planetary Void
Knowledge: Parallax-Scrolling on the Amiga
Reviews:
Final Fight
Ghosts of Blackwood
Donkey Kong
PhotoFolio
Compression
AmigaOS 3.2 - The Manual
SimpleIDE
Amiga 4000TX
Amiga 1222 Plus

Of course there's actually so MUCH more in the magazine.

Needless to say you will often get other versions of software, some of which were commercially available, as well as some of the latest try-outs or freely released software applications and games for, hopefully, every Amiga variant of Operating system, so that's Amiga 'Classic', OS4, MorphOS, and AROS, including some PD software for these systems, all on the Readers' cover CD.

A detailed description of the varied content and excerpts of our current issue can be found at: https://www.amigafuture.de/app.php/kb/index?c=13

The Amiga Future magazine is available both as an English and German printed magazine - each issue is printed in FULL COLOUR - directly available from our magazine editorial office and from various other Amiga dealers.

Important Notice!

All our Amiga Future subscribers should check that both your current postal and email addresses for you are correct  that has been supplied by you to us.
The Amiga Future gets packed and shipped a few days prior to its actual release date. So, we need any change/correction to your address to be passed to us before we dispatch it, and in any case as soon as possible.
Bear in mind that: Usually requests to forward on mail will not be handled with such mail items, i.e. magazines!

We also ask that you check that your subscription fee(s) are current and up to date, i.e. already been paid, as some, in fact quite a few, subscription fees are still not currently fully paid.

Preview: https://www.amigafuture.de/app.php/kb/index?c=13
Orders: https://www.amigashop.org

http://25.amigafuture.de
https://www.amigafuture.de
http://www.apc-tcp.de
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10