Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore 65  (Read 6184 times)

Description:

Offline XenobioticalTopic starter

• Show only replies by Xenobiotical
Re: Commodore 65
« Reply #14 from previous page: January 24, 2012, 06:27:16 AM »
Thank you :) Take care, Carlo

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 02:26:27 PM »
I am quite jealous, to be honest.. :) But I have lots of respect for your patience and persistence. Well done!
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline Pentad

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 02:51:12 PM »
I too always that the C65 was a neat computer.  However, I never understood where Commodore was going with it.  It was not 100% compatible with the C64, it sort of competed with the lower-end Amiga's (A600 for example), and it was a dead end platform with no ability to really expand it.

The Amiga could have more memory and faster CPUs so it made sense as an investment.  I'm not sure how you justify that with the C65.

I guess I always felt the C65 was an example of Commodore's internal turmoil of no direction.  Where do we go from here?  Beating the 8 bit line to death isn't going to gather you the profits that the C64 had in it's prime.

Interesting computer but not sure where it fit into the industry at the time...

-P
Linux User (Arch & OpenSUSE TW) - WinUAE via WINE

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
@Pentad

I have to agree with you. Even though the c65 was more powerful in some ways than even AGA amigas (mostly in terms of graphics hardware) it sort of feels like its in no mans land and I suspect was just an attempt to cash in on the immense popularity of the C64. Some c64 users werent interested in the amiga, regardless of how powerful it may have been at the time, but offer them a visibly more powerful c64 and they might jump onboard.

Even with its reasonably powerful video hardware though it felt like it had nowhere to go.

Perhaps they should have used its hardware as a console with the ability to add a keyboard/disk drive/floppy drive/etc. At least then it doesnt seem so misguided.

Having said this though Id still love to get ahold of one myself :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
@Xenobiotical

Do you have a keyboard for your C65? There's one on eBay at the moment: number 280812481598. Of course it's a "Das C65 Keyboard" as it doesn't have any legends, but better than nothing...
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
Don't know if you have or already know, but check out this:
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Acommodore-manuals&sort=-publicdate&page=2

almost at the end of page (great source of Commodore manuals).

Ciao!  :)
BY!

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »
Thanks to all for support!! :) I have also a C65 keyboard to control the board and i saw the preliminary manual for C65 (the archive that i didn't know is very useful i think). C65 in my opinion should have been a game console with possibility to turn in a computer with add-on. Great graphic system, powerful, fast and easy to program should have been useful for gaming. And i agree with Fishy_fiz when he says that many users were faithful to C64 and didn't want change with Amiga..

Take care, have a nice day

Ciao :)

Carlo

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Dear Friends,

now i'm searching a C65 case and a C65 floppy drive.... Other spare parts obviously are welcome :) Please contact me..

Thanks, Carlo