Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is AROS actually usable yet?  (Read 2999 times)

Description:

Offline gdankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by gdanko
Is AROS actually usable yet?
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »
I see versions I you can run live via XP (which I don't use).
I see AROS VMs (useless to me)

What about an AROS I can install directly to a Mac Mini G4? That would be useful.
Can I play Amiga games or run Amiga apps under AROS yet?

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
Re: Is AROS actually usable yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
I've been toying with it for a few hours lately.  It seems that any classic stuff will be done under UAE.  Hardware support is small, and wireless support is nowhere to be found.  Otherwise it is pretty nifty.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »
AROS-PPC should work hosted under Linux (had that running on the Efika years ago), but it's not really worth the effort.

You could offcourse just install MorphOS and be a happy blue camper ;)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:54:31 PM »
Who knows when. They're making a lot of progress though. It's pretty impressive compared to the command line interface when it started.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:59:58 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;559960
AROS-PPC should work hosted under Linux (had that running on the Efika years ago), but it's not really worth the effort.

Yes but MorphOS is beyond my budget for a hobby OS.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »
Quote from: gdanko;559968
Yes but MorphOS is beyond my budget for a hobby OS.

Trying it is totally free. And since you say it's a hobby OS, you probably won't mind the demo limitation that just requires you to reboot every 30 minutes. So you can even skip the registration step in this case. :)

Offline vic20owner

• Show only replies by vic20owner
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:34:45 AM »
I agree, I like where AROS is going, but MorphOS is closer to the real amiga experience than AROS at the moment.   I love that AROS runs on intel.. I would like to see a just in time emulator which encapsulates each classic app, making it appear to run native.

I like MorphOS but I have all laptops... I do have a mac mini G4 but I hate having to set up a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.  I prefer laptops for just about everything.  I am thinking about picking up a macbook G4 to see if I can get morphos running on it...
Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline vic20owner

• Show only replies by vic20owner
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:42:46 AM »
I just had a look at the latest AROS and I am impressed.  I like the features added to the 68k emulator, allowing ADFs to be run directly and 68k apps to be run also.

Pretty neat! This version booted up from CD on my laptop with no issues.  Network appeared to be recognized but I haven't been able to test that yet.
Amiga 1200 030/50mhz 64MB Fast Ram 20GB HD
DTCV, S-Video hack, 1084S-D1, PCMCIA Wireless

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 05:27:08 AM »
Those are my feelings. I want a Mac and MorphOS, but I also LOVE the way AROS is heading.

First off I will say this is not a hobby OS that intends to compete with the Linux world, it is meant as a tribute to old users and new fans. It is what it is, and they are slowly working to make it better.

I do not mind the lack of driver support. I have no issue with picking up or building a cheap and small PC, using only the supported hardware, it's kind of fun. Besides people are giving away PC's all the time. Their disposable, and over produced. The good thing is that a lot of PC's use the intel Chip set that AROS so loves. :)
And just in case you don't know yet, one of those cheap Acer Notebooks support AROS very well, but I forget which model(s).

All it really needs is improved graphics driver support so everything runs full screen without hang ups and it's well on it's way.
Of course this UAE integration is the most exciting thing about it for me. At last, a currently supported and updated means to run Amiga Software 100% in an Amiga environment on X86!

Graphics drivers aside, it seems pretty damn stable on the right hardware. Their is a competent browser, you got IRC, BOH, and the like. And now another update has brought us all closer to having a fully integrated 68xxx "compatibility layer"!

For those who can't afford the move to MorphOS or Amiga OS 4.1, this isn't really a bad environment to invest in.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »

1) Can't justify the cost
2) I'd rather use a faster modern x86 box

Offline clusteruk

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
The Acer netbook models are, Acer Aspire One 110/150.

It is almost fully supported using my HDAudio driver, and my new Intel GMA driver for running on VGA monitor. However the only bit missing is wireless and that is about 2-3 months away :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlBUKi5eB3s

This is demo of Intel GMA driver on my Acer Aspire 150

edit: Oh and there is http://emumiga.com/ which is a project to write a 68k emulation layer for 68k Amiga apps to seamlessly integrate. This is moving well but still in early stages.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:45:48 AM by clusteruk »
Amiga 1000/3000, iMica Silent and NVidia Aros computer.
http://www.imica.net
Lets enjoy the Amigas future, THIS year is 25th Anniversary lets make it special.
http://www.amiga25.org

Offline spirantho

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »
AROS has come on a long, long way since the previous time I tried it a few years back. Plus if you get supported hardware (the iMica for instance) it's a very snazzy low-power (silent) box. And best of all, you can read and write Commodore 64 disk images on it, if you have a Catweasel. :)

I'm running it right now on the screen next to this one, and although there's still one or two stability issues it's 100% worth a try.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Mazze

• Show only replies by Mazze
    • http://mazze-online.de
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »

... said the witch to Hansel and Gretel and then they ended in smurf hell.:lol: