Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More bad news surfaces  (Read 5700 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: More bad news surfaces
« Reply #59 from previous page: August 16, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »
Quote from: psxphill;744950
All I'm saying is that anyone who tries Windows 8 with an open mind actually likes it. You can tell anyone who hasn't tried it or goes in with a closed mind, the reasons they come up for hating it are laughable.
Actually there are multiple people who have tried it and hated it in this very thread. But hey, as long as you define the terms of the argument as "reasonable, open-minded person = agrees with me" and "doesn't agree with me = unreasonable hater," you automatically win, right? Score!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline polyp2000

• Show only replies by polyp2000
    • https://soundcloud.com/polyp/sets/polyp-2013
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;744902
Okay, I'll put up with a lot of dubious claims, but this is quite frankly just horseshít.

You made a remark about linux whilst commodorejohn was in the room! Thats like hitting the red-button for him to unload his own horseshít.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
Yeah, you install Ubuntu Micturating Manatee or whatever the new one is on a P3 and then get back to me on how usable it is.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline nicholas

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Ooh look another "My dick is bigger than your dick" thread on amiga.org!

Whoever would have thought it possible?

FFS people. Use and abuse whatever floats your boat but give it a rest with barking orders at others as to what they should or should not be doing.

Light up a blunt/drink a pint/batter a punchbag/write some music/code/gfx or whatever else it is that calms you down and then accept that everyone is different, everyone has different needs and everyone has different ideas about what is "more betterer".

/Me closes browser and goes back to Scribble and my RKM's.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
If we got rid of the threads arguing about OS merits/demerits, this forum basically wouldn't exist.

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
What is one of the more annoying things of 8.1 versus 8 is that the old non-'app' version of the Skype client is refusing to run on 8.1. You're stuck using the Skype 'app' which is an atrocity and basically turns your computer in the equivalent of a single tasking MS-DOS machine.

In general the entire *?#@**?#@**?#@**?#@*ing metro interface always gets in your way, it never helps you or makes things easier.

guest3110

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 12:26:49 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;744967
Ooh look another "My dick is bigger than your dick" thread on amiga.org!

Whoever would have thought it possible?

FFS people. Use and abuse whatever floats your boat but give it a rest with barking orders at others as to what they should or should not be doing.

Light up a blunt/drink a pint/batter a punchbag/write some music/code/gfx or whatever else it is that calms you down and then accept that everyone is different, everyone has different needs and everyone has different ideas about what is "more betterer".

/Me closes browser and goes back to Scribble and my RKM's.

I've marked the orders in red. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
(runs)

*All in fun.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
If we are going to continue the Linux debate:
I don't mind if Linux is bloated. I like the UI. It installs 9/10 times without any trouble.
I run Windows XP with a few third party utilities. Windows 7 is a nice stable platform to play games from.
Windows 8 okay for some, but not for me. It's like having a 15 gigabyte phone OS.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2013, 01:00:03 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;745004
If we are going to continue the Linux debate:
I don't mind if Linux is bloated. I like the UI. It installs 9/10 times without any trouble.
Fair enough - as long as you're not trying to pretend that it makes sweet wizardly love to old hardware when it really doesn't.

guest3110

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;745005
sweet wizardly love

:roflmao:

Offline mjestart

• Show only replies by mjestart
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2013, 02:51:27 AM »
Here are some of my suggestions I'd like MS to add to 8.1 to make it more functional for desktop users.

Yes I agree the 'metro file associations by default' is annoying and it's a hassle to change them all. Not to mention all the privacy and 'metrics' settings you have to opt-out of so that your Win 8 isn't constantly sending data to MS.

1. Resizable start screen, so it doesn't cover the entire desktop.
2. True context menu access from the start screen. Renaming and deleting shortcuts, etc.
3. All Apps sorted in even columns with nesting. Currently All Apps view folders and shortcuts are stacked on top of each other in uneven columns.
4. Nested control panel, network, favorites, recent documents/programs, restart/shutdown, etc. and other removed accessibility features.
5. Metro apps should be able to run in a window on the desktop.
6. Traditional search from the start screen.
7. Fix the new explorer ribbon, networks sidebar, notifications, newly metro-ized dialogue boxes, etc.
8. (superficial) Restore title bar transparency, allow tile color changing from Metro defaults, more display customization, etc.

Live tiles and resizable shortcut tiles isn't a bad idea, but not at the expense of all the other removed functionality.