Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Opinion: Why TV fears the Apple iBroadcast 'revolution'  (Read 6984 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Opinion: Why TV fears the Apple iBroadcast 'revolution'
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 05:02:29 PM »
I've got a Roku box on each of my TVs; haven't had "cable" in two years (except for internet connectivity) despite them offering to effectively pay me for the privilege (for a year, after which they'll start raising the price).  I watch pretty much what I'd watch on cable TV, but free, commercial-free, and so forth.

Both boxes have USB dongles for those rare times when I can't stream from one of the computers here.

Broadcast TV is dead to me; my televisions are glorified computer monitors nowadays.  

Cable companies have royally missed the boat by not offering more stuff ala carte.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Quote from: TheBilgeRat;685503
I agree the boxee is pretty cool, but it is an appliance.  I'd love to see morphOs ported to ARM, just not to compete with toasters :)

Please read my first link in my post above to get a hint of my view for writing so. Other than that, I agree with you that it's the "desktop" that I find most interesting, all the other stuff would/could "just" be the enabler (if it works out well) that could make real revenue and move the development from a hobby level to a professional/employed level again. Like I said in above mentioned post... ;) :)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline amiga4ever

• Show only replies by amiga4ever
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
Quote from: JJ;685502
Well done you.  Does the make you feel all warm inside. The BBC provides a decent wealth of both TV and Radio services.  I think the TV licence is very reasonable and I for one am glad we have got the BBC

I absolutely do feel good about it. I already pay more than enough taxes for so called "social services" which I never use, lazy dole-mongers, bailouts for bankers and wars in foreign countries - none of which has anything to do with me as an individual. Don't see why I should have to pay for your multimedia BBC entertainment too.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »
Quote from: JJ;685502
Well done you.  Does the make you feel all warm inside. The BBC provides a decent wealth of both TV and Radio services.  I think the TV licence is very reasonable and I for one am glad we have got the BBC
+1

Pay for what you use...

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Quote from: amiga4ever;685531
I absolutely do feel good about it. I already pay more than enough taxes for so called "social services" which I never use, lazy dole-mongers, bailouts for bankers and wars in foreign countries - none of which has anything to do with me as an individual. Don't see why I should have to pay for your multimedia BBC entertainment too.

Hmmm, so what happens when you do need to use the services?   I bet youd be straight on the dole queue to get assistance!
And have you never watched any television ever? Read a news article? Listened to a radio?
Have you any idea how much of the modern techie stuff you so enjoy was pushed by the bbc and tax payers money?

Don't be a cretinous sponger!

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 04:28:41 AM »
Apple's main hurdle and it's a big one, is the content holders (ie. Sony, TW, Paramount, etc.) are going to charge huge sums to license anything. I've seen what has happened to Netflix and Hulu. This pricing control has also put other streaming services out of business. The only ones that seem to have a decent current offering are the pirate sites. The media companies are so focused on getting everyone they can to buy their DVD/Bluray discs that they have retarded the advances that streaming services have made. Almost to the point of making them non-viable. This is one of the reasons Netflix has been looking into and started to produce their own shows.

P.S. I already have a learning multi-remote that can adapt its key layout. Also, my TV is my computer. It's also my newspaper too.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »
Apple Sucks!  Thier products overpriced and very closed.  Once you buy Apple you'll never go back....because you'll be locked in LOL

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
Quote from: amigakid;685588
Apple Sucks!  Thier products overpriced and very closed.  Once you buy Apple you'll never go back....because you'll be locked in LOL
If they were overpriced people wouldn't buy them... Something is only worth what people will pay for it, Apple sell plenty of devices at the pice points they choose.

As for lock in... Not sure how they are any different from any other company... They even managed to negotiate with the record companies to get the removal of DRM from the iTunes music store... And they have actively pushed for HTML5, and their Webkit code forms the basis of some of the best free web browsers you can get! Prejudice, knows no logic I guess, Shrug.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:38 AM »
Happy? No!  The recorIng industry was well and truly burnt by apple and ITunes. It aint gonna happen with Tv. Go and have a look at the Tv programs available on iTunes. Our local Australian rebroadcasts are more up-to-date. That's saying something.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;685274
Would that honestly make you happy?

Happy? No!  The recording industry was well and truly burnt by apple and ITunes. It aint gonna happen with Tv. Go and have a look at the Tv programs available on iTunes. Our local Australian rebroadcasts are more up-to-date. That's saying something.

I'm happy to pay for fresh new content. Unfortunately over here the only legal option is cable TV.

Not commenting on lock in but in relation to technology can you surmise why the iPad 3 has such a resolution on a 9" screen? The iPad2 can download and stream hd video content to apple tv just as easily as the iPad 3.

Btw; typing this on an iPad 2
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:18:54 AM by gertsy »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685611
Happy? No!  The recording industry was well and truly burnt by apple and ITunes. It aint gonna happen with Tv. Go and have a look at the Tv programs available on iTunes. Our local Australian rebroadcasts are more up-to-date. That's saying something.

I'm happy to pay for fresh new content. Unfortunately over here the only legal option is cable TV.

Not commenting on lock in but in relation to technology can you surmise why the iPad 3 has such a resolution on a 9" screen? The iPad2 can download and stream hd video content to apple tv just as easily as the iPad 3.

Btw; typing this on an iPad 2
Nah! The recording industry destroyed itself long before Apple came along... Believe me
I'm very much aware of this.

By the late 80's Record Companies were making so much money that they started to attract executives who came from large multimillion dollar companies... Who didn't/don't think of music as an art, but a commodity like baked beans.

So the executives started to move the industry away from developing artists and towards producing cheap music that could be purchased, consumed, thrown away, repeat... That negate the need to invest in bands/artists who would take time to develop and this all we have now is cheap, repetitive, disposable entertainment... Music as an art has been expunged from the industry.

For the recording artist now, the only way to sell your music is through iTunes and avoiding the record company... That way you get a much better royalty at the expense of the massive marketing engine the large companies have.

Apple screwed the large record companies not the Recording Artist. :)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;685613
Nah! The recording industry destroyed itself long before Apple came along... Believe me
I'm very much aware of this.

By the late 80's Record Companies were making so much money that they started to attract executives who came from large multimillion dollar companies... Who didn't/don't think of music as an art, but a commodity like baked beans.

So the executives started to move the industry away from developing artists and towards producing cheap music that could be purchased, consumed, thrown away, repeat... That negate the need to invest in bands/artists who would take time to develop and this all we have now is cheap, repetitive, disposable entertainment... Music as an art has been expunged from the industry.

For the recording artist now, the only way to sell your music is through iTunes and avoiding ethe record company... That way you get a much better royalty at the expense of the massive marketing engine the large companies have.

Apple screwed the large record companies not the Recording Artist. :)

Agree. That's what I said. I thought.
Do you think Sony and affiliates will be very accommodating of the TV Side?
I don't. iTunes TV content tends to echo my thoughts. I can buy DVDs of TV series at Kmart in  Australia as recent as the bulk of the offerings on iTunes.

YouTube has the free video market covered. iTunes can only offer paid content and so they have to stand in the queue.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:37:23 AM by gertsy »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Quote from: Sparky;685554
Hmmm, so what happens when you do need to use the services? I bet youd be straight on the dole queue to get assistance!
And have you never watched any television ever? Read a news article? Listened to a radio?
Have you any idea how much of the modern techie stuff you so enjoy was pushed by the bbc and tax payers money?

Don't be a cretinous sponger!

+1 just does not cover how much I agree with this statement.

I would guess he is the sort of person who thinks he should get everyhting for free. Looking at those comment he is obviously also a daily mail reading hate spreader
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
Services like iTunes and the like have actually helped the smaller lables who do develop talent and who share a decent amount of the sales directly with the artist.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »
Like who?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 27, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;685615
Agree. That's what I said. I thought.
Do you think Sony and affiliates will be very accommodating of the TV Side?
I don't. iTunes TV content tends to echo my thoughts. I can buy DVDs of TV series at Kmart in  Australia as recent as the bulk of the offerings on iTunes.

YouTube has the free video market covered. iTunes can only offer paid content and so they have to stand in the queue.
Sorry yes, I wasn't directing my rant at you... It just doesn't take much to set me off regarding this particular issue ;)